Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Will this give some ideas to Marvel? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Marvel, in fact, has the potential here for a fun (I know! That word is not allowed!) sort of "What If?" scenario. Give anybody who wants it their own crack at any existing title, beginning at any point in the continuity. And whether or not they'd ever worked on the book before. I think it would be a hoot to see different versions of the FF, the X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, etc, all picking up from different points and spinning off in their own directions, not bound in any way by canon.

This wouldn't be unprecedented.  About 10 years ago, Marvel did a Fantastic Four miniseries whose high concept was, in essence, "What if instead of Jack Kirby just sort of leaving the FF, Stan and Jack had capped off their run with a yearlong celebration of the 100 issues that came before, pulling together all the various threads of the Marvel Universe that were in existence at that time."  It was a fun mini.

Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Marvin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Fantastic Four: The Worlds Greatest Magazine was the name of the 12 issue series if I remember correctly, plotted by the same Erik Larsen who's busy on the "Growing Roses" thread as we speak.

I really enjoyed the Kirby "tributes" by Steven Rude, Ron Frenz, Bruce Timm and others.

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 3  

Jeff, you are correct.

Michael Wolner Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 4  

Since I have to get my comics through the mail I'll have to wait until the first week of July to receive the first two issues of X-Men Forever.  I will say though that if has been a very long time since I have looked for to a m****l book.  The last one was X-Men:  The Hidden Years< ="text/">_popupControl();
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 5  

Stéphane wrote:
Mark. Nothing of what was printed after X-Men 3 is in the Forever continuity.

It simply never happened and will never happen. The retcons, like "James Howlett" don't count either. The Forever Wolverine is Logan and his past still a mystery.

I understand that. I mean that I gave up on the X-men a few years before X-Men #1 even came out. (After two issues of Jim Lee as the new artist, I called it quits). So it's not not an era that even interests me to begin with. It would be an all new "jumping-off" point for me.

Edited by Mark McKay on 19 June 2009 at 11:56am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

The number of issues between Jim Lee's run and this isn't
very many. He became the regular at 267 and this book picks
up at #279 unless you mean his fill ins at 256-8.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

Keith: The claws are adamantium claws.

I suppose that the "bones laced with adamantium" rather than "adamantium skeleton" explains what we see. Just my two cents though.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

Interesting premise but I just can't stand Claremont's writing. I loved it back in the 70's.......  but not now.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

Marvel, in fact, has the potential here for a fun (I know! That word is not allowed!) sort of "What If?" scenario. Give anybody who wants it their own crack at any existing title, beginning at any point in the continuity. And whether or not they'd ever worked on the book before. I think it would be a hoot to see different versions of the FF, the X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, etc, all picking up from different points and spinning off in their own directions, not bound in any way by canon.

This wouldn't be unprecedented. About 10 years ago, Marvel did a Fantastic Four miniseries whose high concept was, in essence, "What if instead of Jack Kirby just sort of leaving the FF, Stan and Jack had capped off their run with a yearlong celebration of the 100 issues that came before, pulling together all the various threads of the Marvel Universe that were in existence at that time." It was a fun mini.

••

One man's "fun mini" is another's masturbatory crap.

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

"bones laced with adamantium"

That's what I was getting at, I hoped to see the bionic
housings on his forearms, presumably if they are "natural"
the organic "sheathes" were burnt away with the rest of his
flesh.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

This strikes me as more masturbatory crap. Very much about the writer rather than the characters (it's Chris Claremont's X-Men!!). Obviously not something for the not-yet-committed reader.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

…if they are "natural" the organic "sheathes" were burnt away with the rest of his flesh.

••

If we assume that the claws do not telescope into the housings on the backs of his gloves (or hands, apparently, according to this image), they have to get up into his forearms somehow. Which means his wrist joint cannot be anything like normal -- and normal is what we see in that drawing.

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version