Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: The Wolverine Family (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

I hope that Daken (Son of Wolverine), Skaar (Son of Hulk), Christopher Kent, Damien Wayne stick around. Heck, I hope that the Stacy Osborn twins from Sins Past show up, again.

••

Sometimes, David David, I can't help but get the impression you wait for a predominant direction to manifest in a thread so you can go the other way.

Back to Top profile | search

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

This thread is giving me a headache.
Why on earth would anyone be interested in the children of Superman, Hulk, Wolverine, Batman etc?
How stupid can these writers really be?!? I guess stupid enough to "return" to the Richards their child from the miscarriage of Sue all those years ago.
How empty is the storyline deposit? The House of Ideas seems really small. "Let's get Bucky back! Yeah, we can make him a cool assassin! Yeah, he will replace Cap! Yeah, he will become Nomad, whom he actually killed a few episodes ago. Yeah, I am so hot!"
I am so glad I have stopped reading Marvel Comics, with a few exceptions. Unfortunately, the se exception will have to go pretty soon. DD is practically unreadable and boring, X-Men Forever is utter crap, and I have already expressed my "admiration" for Cap and the FF. I fear no amount of good art can make me read Millar or even Brubacker again.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

Oh, I think Buffy sells more than shown on the list. This must have been the month that they skipped and had a fill in one shot.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

Daken is a stupid character from everything I've read here.  No reason for him to exist if all he is is a carbon copy of his father with a pheromone power that lets him seduce anyone.  Ugh.  Skaar was an OK idea that sprung out of one of my favorite events in recent memory, but I'm not sure how well he works on his own as a character.  Christopher Kent?  Please.  Superman doesn't need a son.  Ditto Batman.  The Osborn twins sprang from one of the absolute worst stories ever told in ASM ("Sins Past") and that's saying something as I consider most of what JMS wrote on the title to be total hogwash.  If they are never heard from or mentioned again, ever, I'll be forever grateful.

This should probably go in the pet peeves thread, but superheroes drooping their seed at every possible opportunity only to find out that they have a child after a period of time is so wrong on so many levels, especially to the degree that we're seeing it now, that it's amazing no one has stepped back and asked if it's being done for the good of the character. 

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

Thanos wrote:
Why on earth would anyone be interested in the children of Superman, Hulk, Wolverine, Batman etc?

Yeah, I'm curious too.  I mean, people apparently are interested in these lame dilutions of icons and popular characters.  But why?

And Sins Past was a bad, bad idea. Please, please, let it stay buried.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

I´m with Matt.  This epidemic of estranged offspring should be grounds for a new comics code clampdown.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

The superhero kid thing feels so DC and decidedly not Marvel.  Sure, Marvel superheroes had kids, Franklin Richards being the most prominent, but by and large Marvel heroes didn't have kid sidekicks nor did they have children that went into the "family business".  That was a DC thing.  Me, I never really got into it, but I do have to cop to liking the Teen Titans so I can at least understand the idea of people wanting to follow the adventures of the kid sidekicks of their favorite superheroes.  What I don't get is how rapidly it's spreading at Marvel.  Seems as though there was a period of time, oh about 15 - 20 years ago, that nearly every Marvel character went on a wild sex spree and they are only now discovering the repercussions.  TOO MUCH!!!  One kid, thoughtfully plotted out to help advance a character's story, OK.  One kid introduced as the child of a hero only to find out that the kid is actually being used as a pawn by that heroes biggest rogue and is not his/her child at all?  Yeah, now that's a comic book story.  Twelve illegitimate children in their teens introduced to heroes (mind you, people that would never just have unprotected sex with someone and then leave) as their children who now must occupy space and time with that hero?  TOO MUCH!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

It's that fanzine mentality again. Superheroes having bastard children is "code" for superheroes having sex. And having bastard children they didn't know about is even better. Wham, Bam, and not even a Thank You, Ma'am. Apparently among to top fantasies of too many fanboys. Especially the ones running the companies these days.

Not that it's all that new. I staunchly refused to allow Proteus to be the bastard child of Xavier and Moira, but how long after I left the book did we find Xavier revealed to have a bastard kid?

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

Not that it's all that new. I staunchly refused to allow Proteus to be the bastard child of Xavier and Moira, but how long after I left the book did we find Xavier revealed to have a bastard kid?

==================================================

Not long enough!  Forever would have worked much better.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Pedro Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

We can start bets on the way they'll bring Mariko back.

Dark Mariko
Undead Mariko
Comatose Mariko
Clone Mariko
Brain Patterned Mariko Android
Mariko, daughter of Mariko

Endless possibilities!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

Not that it's all that new. I staunchly refused to allow Proteus to be the bastard child of Xavier and Moira, but how long after I left the book did we find Xavier revealed to have a bastard kid

Well, at least it wasn't with Moira.

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

Pedro, Marvel's next big crossover event will be about all those Marikos.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version