Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: The Wolverine Family (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:

I staunchly refused to allow Proteus to be the bastard child of Xavier and Moira

Don't ever recall seeing this before.  Interesting.  IIRC. Proteus was Xavier's son in ULTIMATE X MEN.  Xavier had abandoned him as a child. 

When I first read ORIGIN, I thought Dog was supposed to be Sabretooth although it had never been revealed in current continuity by the time I stopped reading the X books.  Rose I saw as a Jean analogue, but I read ORIGIN and thought that was the real Sabretooth.

After seeing what the Wolverine movie did I was curious to see if that had ever been the intention in the comics.   I saw Paul Jenkins quoted as saying it hadn't been, but he'd have no problem if someone revealed Dog as Sabretooth.

Daken is a villain?  Awhile back I saw some conversation about a scene between Cyclops and Wolverine.  Apparently Cyclops was trying to get
Wolverine to kill Daken and Logan refused. 

Talk about role reversal.  However, this is modern Marvel we're talking about.  People acting in character is not a real big priority.  Whatever services the plot is what counts. 
Back to Top profile | search

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Sometimes, David David, I can't help but get the impression you wait for a predominant direction to manifest in a thread so you can go the other way." - JB

I apologize if I've given that impression, JB, and I certainly can understand why you'd have that of me. One of the reasons I post is because I love the debates, here. I don't try to deliberately stir the pot, although, again, I can see how my post about the Stacy Osborn children can easily be seen as such, but the debates here can be among the friendliest and most intelligent that I've ever been engaged in. 

Since I started posting here, three years ago, you've changed my mind and challenged my ideas on not just the direct market and the direction of comics but on abortion, Christianity, and gun control as well. I've even used some of the facts that you've cited and opinions that you've presented in lectures, for my high school classes. And I hope that, when I post, I can create an intelligent counterpoint that might make someone reevaluate something or might even make me reevaluate something.  

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

Christopher Kent?  Please.  Superman doesn't need a son.

------------------------------------------

Just to clarify for people who don't know, Christopher Kent is not really Superman's son.  He's Zod's son who grew up in the Phantom Zone.  When he got out of the Zone with his dad, Supes didn't send him back with his dad, since he was innocent, but he and Lois briefly 'adopted' him.  After that he had one of those amazing mutation aging things happen and now he's an adult character.  But he's not Superman's son...

But, since nobody else has mentioned it here yet, how about that new She-Hulk?  Thundra and Hulk's test tube baby.  So yeah, Bruce has a couple of spawn running about now.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

To be fair, Superman does have a son as of SUPERMAN RETURNS.  Not the comics to be sure, but it's out there.

The Thundra/Hulk baby?  Yeah, pure bullshit. 

Thad Studebaker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

Daken is a villain?  Awhile back I saw some conversation about a scene between Cyclops and Wolverine.  Apparently Cyclops was trying to get
Wolverine to kill Daken and Logan refused. 

Jeebus, talk about not understanding the characters.

Frank Carchia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

Man O man, I am sooooo glad I don't follow Marvel anymore.   After seeing that Hulk #603 cover and hearing about this "Daken" guy, I realize that I have moved on to MUCH greener pastures....

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

Just noticed something about that cover: Daken's hand has only 3 knuckles. D'oh!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

Sorry to so shamelessly steal a line JB has used in the past, but I really can't find a more succinct way to say it: I didn't leave Marvel - Marvel left me....as a provider of entertaining product, at least. There's money in my hand waiting to be spent, but they are no longer offering anything which appeals to me.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 22 July 2009 at 8:43pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I didn't leave Marvel - Marvel left me"

That should be a mantra for all of us who've been disappointed by Marvel.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

If only Tom DeFalco had known. He wouldn't have had to do his "next generation" of Marvel heroes as a sideline imprint.

The heroes being created today, Skaar, Daken, Lyra, hell... Cable and X-Man even, all reflect their creators' awareness that the parent heroes have been around for a very, very long time. Long enough, surely, to be having kids of their own. Grown kids even. What's called for here is an array of second generation heroes who acknowledge this "reality" while still allowing editorial to keep the parents young, viable, & presumably "undamaged."

Try to see it from the modern creator's point of view: Marvel heroes are all old. Older now than DC's were back when Marvel was mocking them for being dusty old fogeys. The hip, up-and-comers have all aged, and the people writing them can't see them in any other way. Add up all the storylines that "must" have happened to bring the characters to where they are today. Allow for the amount of time all those stories would have to take. Y'see? These guys are pretty f*ckin' old, even if you ignore "real time." They should all have been having kids years ago! But they didn't and today's writers can see why... They're down with the plan. Don't mess too much with the product. They get it. But on the other hand, c'mon! These guys're old!!! Y'can't get around that!!!

Hell, they are ways to give them kids that don't age them, or at least not much. Raise the kid in an alternate timeline, bring them back fully grown. That plan worked for Cable, X-Man, and Franklin. It'll work for Lyra. How about fast-acting Miracle-Gro for Magic Babies? Bang! Skaar's aw-gwown-up-now, just like that! Haha! This is easy! Clones! Hellyeah! They can be grown to any age! Just set the dial to "hottie" and thereyahave'er! X-23, toasted to just a little past jailbait! Who's next? C'mon! Step up! Daken? Just like dear old Dad, the guy can be any age we want! Wolverine just kinda... forgot the kid existed. And for 50 years, this homicidal badass kept a low profile... 'Cause he's just that cool, y'dig?

And all of this just goes to show that what the writers, want is much, much better for the industry than keeping the characters as they were when they found them, years ago. Back when sales were higher.

Writing isn't something you do just with your head. You do it with your heart. With all of your heart if you do it right... And the hearts of today's writers have spoken clearly. Marvel's characters are old, old, old. They may as well start writing the next batch. The Lee-Kirby-Ditko bunch is played out...

It's a shame DeFalco couldn't get everyone to see it sooner. MC2 was simply a little ahead of it's time. And not by much at all, really.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 23 July 2009 at 12:34am | IP Logged | 11  

I really hope that you're being satirical, Brian.  I really do.

Steve D Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:38am | IP Logged | 12  

You know, I'm a little confused by Daken.

Do the average fan boys like the character? Do they buy a comic for his appearance? Is he actually considered cool?

The reason I ask is because he seems like a character that was MADE to be cool. A fourth grader making up a 'bad-ass' version of Wolverine and putting in all the modern age nonsense that he doesn't really understand but thinks are cool. Tattoos, mohawks and the like. And then how to distinguish him from his dad? A wrist claw? How does that make sense?

Daken is Poochie from the Simpsons. Out of touch adults trying to be hip and cool for the kids and getting it wrong.

Or are the standard marvel buyers actually buying that a character they're being TOLD is cool, is actually cool? Crap, when I was a kid if a character was being rammed down my throat I don't think I would have liked that character at all.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version