Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: …And One to Go - 07.28.09 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I haven't looked at this commission in quite a while. Man, it's stunning.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Something else interesting I found on another site, commenting on this image:

The poster declared that Doom was "lucky" that it was Hal and (he assumed) Barry in this fight. If it had been Kyle and Guy, came the assertion, Doom would have gotten his head handed to him.

I find this kind of thinking both fascinating and depressing. I am used, of course, to the whole "Any character from DC can beat any character from Marvel", and vice versa. But to see this kind of stratification WITHIN the same company seems very bizarre to me indeed. I remember the "Lobo can beat anybody" nonsense that burned thru fandom when that character was at his zenith of popularity (a nadir for the industry!!), but it seems somehow counter to the whole FUN part of these characters to argue that one Green Lantern, for instance, is "tougher" than another.

I guess that's where I go wrong, isn't it? It's not like "fun" is really such a big part of the equation any more!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It is 'round these parts, JB!  Especially in the commission galleries! 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2010 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Doom has a contingency plan for getting his head handed to him though.

The thing about this 'story' that makes my head spin is the notion of Doom having just taken out Superman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman and Batman is swinging in to have a go. Courage!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Seems to be that Batman x Doom is becoming a recurring image here. Ah, if
only the people could get the comics they want...

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I would love to see a battle of the minds between Batman
and Doom over physical combat. Would be hard to write, but
if done well it could be awesome.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I would love to see a battle of the minds between Batman and Doom over physical combat. Would be hard to write, but if done well it could be awesome.

••

Reminding me of something Roger Stern used to say back in the days of SPIDEY SUPER STORIES.

Rog was offended by the simplistic style of SSS, which was a comic done in collaboration with THE ELECTRIC COMPANY, a show supposed aimed at SESAME STREET "graduates". Everything had to be kept simple, simple, simple, and Rog complained that when he was that age, comics were not written down to the readers. "They had words like 'invulnerable'!" he would, say, not the monosyllabic, no more than five words to a balloon style of SSS. Rog would growl that this was all part of the Dumbing of America.

As a counter, he used to say he wanted to do SPIDEY INTELLECTUAL STORIES, in which Our Hero would each issue defeat the villain via debate and discourse!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Rog complained that when he was that age, comics were not written down to the readers."

Today's "comics for kids" is even worse.  No one remembers being a kid apparently.  When something is targeted towards "little kids" it turns them off.  They want to read what the big kids are reading!  I can  remember going through a phase as a kid when I would get really upset at restaurants when they offered me a kids menu.  I wanted to eat big kids food!  Same idea.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I remember adding tons of words to my vocabulary as a youngster, from reading comics.  One of my favorites is from an old X-Men reprint.  Stan has Magneto call the Toad a "sycophant".  To this day, I love the sound of that weird word.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Came across yet another discussion, on another site, of how this piece is "wrong". Basically boiled down to the usual "my favorite character(s) can beat anybody" argument, but as I was reading it, I was suddenly struck by something that had not occurred to me before.

The Marvel Universe is supposed to be basically identical to our own, except that there are superheroes and villains in it. Identical, in fact, to the point that Marvel Comics actually exist within the Marvel Universe. By extrapolation, then, we should assume DC Comics also exist (tho, of course, their stories would all be "fictional").

This would give Doom a tremendous edge, wouldn't it? Before attacking the DC characters, he could read up on them and discover all their weaknesses!!

(This is, of course, assuming this scene takes place in the manner of more recent crossovers between the Big 2, where an "explanation" of how the characters can cross from one "universe" to another is deemed necessary. This is not a scenario that would play if this scene takes place in the same "universe" as SUPERMAN vs THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.)

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2011 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This is a perenial top-two favorite commission to me-- where I find there's another I like better for a while, but
then this one "sneaks back up the chart".

Either way you play this cross-over, Doom would only be written properly if he had done his homework before
facing these ultra-famous heroes.

You'd have to write a pretty dumb Dr. Doom to have him not at least "win the first round" which is all we really
see here.

I'm dying to find out how everyone makes it out of this mess.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Found this piece posted to yet another site, where a discussion ensued of the "sexual strangulation" that is apparently a "motif" in my work.

Two things sprang to mind immediately:

1) If that's what you see when you look at this image, you are WAY too old for this hobby!

2) I wonder if they think that's what George Lucas had in mind when he had Vader throttling that guy on Leia's ship in the original STAR WARS?

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version