Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 18
Topic: …And One to Go - 07.28.09 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Have these people seen some of the stuff out there?  If you ever want to depress yourself go to comicartfans.com and look at the "most popular" pieces for the day and week.  You get an occasional legitimate piece of art but mostly it's superheroes meets Cinemax.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Plus, yeah, what JB said....that's really what they see when they look at something like this?  Get real people. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2011 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Has it really been two years since this one? Dang.
Back to Top profile | search

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2011 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB, the sad thing is that these guys probably wouldn't conceive of the Darth Vader throttling in those terms, because, "you know, that's two guys, and well, you know, clearly there could be nothing sexual about a guy throttling another guy... or you know, a guy doing anything to or with another guy. Because you know, they're guys."

As for Doom throttling Diana here, well that speaks volumes about power and quite possibly immanent death. But that's just me I guess.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was looking again at this piece, just now, and allowing myself to appreciate it for what it is, rather than beating myself up, as I usually do, for what I find WRONG with it. And as I absorbed the image, I found myself feeling both happy and frustrated.

Happy, because I was clearly having one of my all-too-infrequent "Damn, I'm Good!" Days, working on this piece.

And Frustrated because they ARE so infrequent. And, to make matters worse, I have no CONTROL over them. I do not have the power to sit at the board and think "Today will be a 'Damn, I'm Good!' Day!" EVERY day!

Looking thru the commissions gallery, I can honestly say that, as with 99.999% of my work, there are no pieces I am actually ashamed of. Each one is the very best work I was able to produce on that particular day, at that particular moment in my life. But some are just so much BETTER.

This is when I find myself envying those artists whose work has such a strong thread of CONSISTENCY. Even the BAD artists, who, nevertheless, hit the same mark virtually every time. I wish my personal demons would let me do that more often!!!

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2011 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John,

I understand what you're saying about consistency. I think it's great that you have the desire to make every project better than the last one, to make each commission as brilliant as can be. I think this is the reason your work gets better year after year. I applaud this work ethic.

I know as a fan of your work, when I see each new commission come out, I find myself wishing I could read that story right then! I think this is the most wonderful thing about your commissions and why we fans look forward to them. Thanks, JB.

Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 18
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version