Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 1  

It's great news!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 2  

Will this effect commissions?!? Disney have been rather strict about copyright in the past.

••

Hadn't thought about that angle. Could be a problem.

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 3  

I have a feeling (and hope) that commissions will still be good to go.  Either that or I better hurry with the 7 more Marvel ones I have planned and start thinking of a lot of DC ideas!

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 4  

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( That means all changes brought by Disney will be permanent forever. Do you think they'll ever resell it?

QUOTE:
Good thing Uncle Walt's not still around. Suddenly, the Red Skull would be retconned as their greatest hero

Ah! I haven't seen the Hunchback of NotreDame , but Esmeralda's beautiful cavalier is anything but noble. I don't know if they "edited" that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 5  

I have a feeling (and hope) that commissions will still be good to go.

••

There are immediate thoughts of bells that have already been rung, and barn doors that were long since left open -- but Disney has never been known for being "reasonable" about these things. And the bottom line here is, if Disney decided to shut down the commission market on Marvel characters, there would be very little anybody could really do about it. / certainly don't have the deep pockets that would be needed to fight Disney, and I don't know anyone who does.

We shall see!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 6  

I haven't seen the Hunchback of NotreDame , but Esmeralda's beautiful cavalier is anything but noble. I don't know if they "edited" that.

••

You do know the Disney version has a happy ending, right? And not the "happy ending" from the book!

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 7  

Well let us just hope that doesn't happen with commissions.  They are great!

Now I am starting to think about if Disney will try and be more strict about original page sales? 

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 8  

True, Jason.  I've read interviews with artists who have worked on comics and licensing for Disney and Disney typically keeps the artwork.  Perhaps if things are grandfathered in regarding older artwork, not much they can do?  Then again, IP law has been revised for the likes of Disney.

We could just be imitating Chicken Little right now regarding commissions, but it is something to keep an eye on.  Looks like I better start saving up soon for anymore commissions I'd like to have.

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm surprised it took this long for a great big media company to gobble up Marvel.

As far as content goes, I doubt Disney cares much. They have produced, via Miramax, movies like PULP FICTION, TIE ME UP, TIE ME DOWN!,  plus any number of R-rted slashers and the SCARY MOVIE series, via Dimension. I think they are only concerned with content if it is branded as "Disney".

And if Warner Bros doesn't care if DC books come out on time, why would Disney care about Marvel? The publishing arm of Marvel just needs to make enough money to remain self-sufficient and Disney will rake in their real money via licensing of the characters.

Robbie Patterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 10  

Having had personal experience with Disney UK on copyright, at least on vague parody from competitors, I can say that, here at least, the image of Grampa Simpson being told off for imitating Chaplin comes to mind...

Just my personal experience though. It will be interesting to see how they handle the comic book operations themselves, as others have stated, my guess would be this is more about the properties themselves than the traditional publishing arm...

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 11  

Did Nathan Greno had anything to do with this ?

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 12  

Marvel is being bought for billions of dollarsbecause of the earning potential of movies and toys and video games.  Iwill be pleasantly surprised if Disney has given any thought to thecomicbook end of things.

====

Oh don't believe that. I've been involved with two companies that were bought out. You don't spend 4 billion dollars on a company and let it's publishing arm lose money. Now, I'm sure Marvel Comics is turning a profit of some degree, but in order to show stockholders that this was a good buy, Disney is going to want to increase that profit margin. Especially since Marvel Studios doesn't have anything coming till next summer. Till then, there film business is just spending money not making it. Until then, Marvel Comics will definitely be under the microscope. Fortunately or unfortunately, first order of business on a buy out usually means cutting cost. Which means some people in the office today are either going to be taking a pay cut or out on the street. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we get better distribution of product out of this.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version