Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 108 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Stuff (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

Heather as "Vindicator"???... BLAH!

I TRIED to collect Alpha Flight after JB left... this issue made me quit!

Back to Top profile | search

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

Strangely enough, Nathan, I started collecting them as back issues about that time when I noticed the covers were by Mike Mignola. I think I had just either read Gotham by Gaslight or Wolverine: Jungle Adventure.

I then got all the issues leading up to then. I don't think that I've read all that I got.

Edited by Chris Geary on 03 September 2009 at 11:25pm

Ed Deans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 3  

The artist on "poor, poor Puck" was Michael Bair.

The book felt as if a "try out" for would-be pencilers under editor Carl Potts and the characters were a mess. There's a part of me wishing the book had been cancelled earlier, avoiding many wince-evoking moments. I stopped buying around 115 when I finally succumbed to reality: the title would never find its footing.

The group found no stable base from which to operate for more than several issues at a time and at no point did the Canadian gov't seem anything other than creepy and hostile to AF's existence even when allied with them. Perhaps I stayed too long as saw these core themes recycled too often, but since the book eventually failed, it may have been a fundamental problem.

Heather in the battle suit seemed the obvious outcome of seeds planted at least since Mac died in issue 12 if not before. It was like she accepted her destiny was the true leader and I welcomed it. I can't say the possessed Puck was a good turn or much else that came after.

Edited by Ed Deans on 04 September 2009 at 12:34am

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 4  

Was Mac the only one who could work the suit?  Did the robot impersonating Mac have a "real" Guardian suit?

If the Canadian gov't had working Guardian suit(s) around, wouldn't it be wrong not to prepare someone to put it on and be Captain Canada?

(Anyone but Heather, natch).

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 5  

I hated the goggles on the Vindicator suit. Imagine if somebody put a giant headband on Spider-Man's head or a helmet on Captain America. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Was Mac the only one who could work the suit? Did the robot impersonating Mac have a "real" Guardian suit?

If the Canadian gov't had working Guardian suit(s) around, wouldn't it be wrong not to prepare someone to put it on and be Captain Canada?

••

I can speak only to what I wrote/intended, of course, but the answers to these questions would be yes, no, and not an option.

I established that there was only one suit, the one Mac built, and he took it with him, along with all his designs, when he bolted. Delphine Courtney didn't need a suit, of course, since "her" robotic form could miimc the suit's properties. And since Mac took everything with him -- both literally and figuratively, in the end -- there was no way for the government to duplicate the suit.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 7  

Good answer!

Bad as those Mantlo issues were, by the way, am I the only one to like Mignola's art on AF? Not as good as he became by any stretch, but good enough to enjoy.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 8  

I was intrigued by the idea that Heather was going to be leader of AF and not have any powers. One of my favorite AF moments (don't recall the issue number) was her holding up one of Guardian's extra costumes in front of the mirror, having Puck walking in on her, and the discussion the two had about it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 9  

Peter, after JB Alpha Flight had some solid artists, in my opinion.  I liked Mignola, Dave Ross and Jim Lee's work on the title.  As a kid I was pretty into Mantlo's Alpha Flight (my older brother had a subscription through about issue 50).

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 10  

JB: I established that there was only one suit, the one Mac built, and hetook it with him, along with all his designs, when he bolted. DelphineCourtney didn't need a suit, of course, since "her" robotic form couldmiimc the suit's properties. And since Mac took everything with him --both literally and figuratively, in the end -- there was no way for thegovernment to duplicate the suit.
Thanks-- I love those answers. Sometimes a picture over-rides the story its telling. I was convinced Heather had at least one spare Guardian costume around, mainly because of this cover--

What I recall from the story inside had me convinced that Heather was considering stepping into Mac's shoes as if it were a possibility she simply would not face out of personal choice. [**and now having reviewed the issue I read what I never bothered reading before about the costume going OVER the battle suit.  I guess I read comics a little too selectively].

From there my wheels turned and imagined the eventual necessity of someone putting the suit on, etc. 

Mac being the only one who can work the suit makes perfect sense though-- if another soldier could wear it, it seems like Mac would want that.  From what we know if Mac it seems likely that if he could find a suitable candidate, he might never have taken on the role long enough to go after Logan in the first place. He'd prefer to have the Canadian Steve Rogers in that suit if such a man could work the suit.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 04 September 2009 at 12:54pm

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

One of my favorite AF moments (don't recall the issue number) was her holding up one of Guardian's extra costumes in front of the mirror, having Puck walking in on her, and the discussion the two had about it.

That was a very good issue .

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

Mark Haslett: ...and now having reviewed the issue I read what I never bothered reading before about the costume going OVER the battle suit.

------------

There was a bunch of visuals to back that up during JB's run too... a few examples...

<< Prev Page of 108 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version