Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Golden Age CAPTAIN AMERICA (plus other Timely & Atlas thread) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

Believe it or not, #75 diesn't even feature Captain America. The title was now a horror comic! This was the final issue of the series from the 1940's. The title would return a few years later...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

...In the 1950's!

Now Captain America and Bucky are "Commie Smashers"! This version of Captain America and Bucky would later be retconned so that it wasn't really Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes. Also, the post-war Captain America comics above were later said to have been other look-a-likes that took the duo's place after they appraently died trying to stop Baron Zemo's bomb (a story that was a retcon by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in "Avengers" #4 (1964). I don't believe Baron Zemo ever actually appeared in a Golden-Age story).

You might note that the above covers are early John Romita Sr. works.

And this ended the original run of "Captain America." He also starred in "All-Select Comics," "All-Winners Comics," and "Marvel Mystery Comics" through the Golden-Age. 

Peyton Holden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

I love 'em.  I just wish I could afford more.  Luckily I do have a fair amount of "Captain America: Commie Smasher" books I bought on the cheap in the mid 80's.

I like trades, but I LOVE holding those old mags in my hands.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

What do YOU think of this era of Marvel Comics history?

You're talking about a 14 year period, which is longer than the Silver Age by some definitions.  I like the books -- I own a couple -- but the question is rather vague, IMO.  What do I think of the entire Golden Age and beyond?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

Michael Arndt wrote:
...Really would love to read more of these stories from this time period. Wish they would reprint them in tpb...

So do I! As far as I can tell or recall, Marvel hasn't reprinted the "Captain America Comics" beyond #10 in trade paperback. It can't be a PC-thing, as the first ten also has some decidely un-PC things about them, and Marvel has reprinted the "Young Allies." Maybe it's because Marvel doesn't have any sufficient copies or scans to work with?

Steve Adelson wrote:
...I like the books -- I own a couple -- but the question is rather vague, IMO...

It's because I'm talking in a general sense. Why must everything on a message board be contentious? This is supposed to be a fun thread. I'm sorry if my question was difficult for you to answer.

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

Don't mean to be contentious, it's just a very wide open question, covering a vast evolution from war hero to crimefighter to horror to anti-communist. 

I remember CA Comics being sold in microfiche form in the 1980s, and wishing I could afford them.  They're great books...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 10  

Looking over the wartime covers, I got to thinking that the Timely characters were more involved with battling the Nazis and the Japanese than most other comics characters. I mean, yeah, I know Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, Plastic Man, and all the rest were fighting the evil axis powers, too, but it seems that only the occassional cover reflected that. Nearly every Timely superhero cover during the war was a battlefield or battlefront cover, in contrast.

I also think it's interesting to note that after the war, towards the end of the 1940's, the focus on most of the Timely heroes covers shifted away from the guys, and started focusing on new female partners, and other women. Both Toro and Bucky were replaced by superwomen, Sun Girl and Golden Girl.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

Looking at the world atlas on the cover of #2, no wonder the Nazi's were so incompetent. Look at Canada on that map! It is connected to Europe (I think) and has a large river running on the border to the US. They sure had a lot of action on the covers in those days. Makes you want to read them. 

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yes, well... Namora seemed more trouble than she was worth....

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version