Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 59 Next >>
Topic: When I Wore a Younger Man’s Clothes - 05.24.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Why some in and around comicbooks (either creators or readers) couldn't and can't distinguish between making fun and having fun is beyond me.

••

Reminds me of when I was working on BATMAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA, and I said I hoped the book would be a huge commercial success, and usher in the new trend in comics -- FUN!

Alas, I also noted that, given how "grim and gritty" so quickly devolved into "glum and surly", it would probably not be long before "fun" became "goofy" and then "stupid".

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You know how you weren't supposed to leave a single image up on a tube television because it would burn the image on your screen?  Like if you paused your "One Day at a Time" VHS, you would have the ghost of Schneider haunting every show you watch?

Well I've looked at this commission so much that I am worried it will be burned into my eyeballs and I will see X-Men ghosts everywhere.  I need to stop looking at it - my health is at stake!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nathan wrote:
...According to the computer machine, he died in that Iron Man Annual (#8) -- and that appears to be the last we've seen of him...

Shows you how long it's been since I had read that comic! LOL! I completely forgot that Willie died in that story. Thanks for the info, Nathan!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
...About a million years ago, there was a contest to create a new mutant. This was back even before Neal Adams came to the title. A winner was selected and announced -- a character called Humus Sapiens -- with the promise that this character would soon appear in the pages of X-MEN...

Ben Schwartz wrote:
...As a reader who had never even heard of FOOM (which is apparently where the contest took place) at the time, this reveal was pretty lame..

Brad Hague wrote:
...And the chance of a reader pre-1969 reading Thunderbolts in 2001 is approximately what?...

I used to have the issue of "FOOM" where they announced the winner of the create a character contest. It was from "FOOM" #3, 1973. Humas Sapiens, according to the original article, would have actually been one of the "new" X-Men. The article stated that he would be used in the upcoming revival of the X-Men.

I wonder if the guy that created Humas Sapiens is bitter that his character never made it into "Giant-Size X-Men" #1? I mean, Thunderbolts are cool and all, but hardly the X-Men.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 28 May 2010 at 9:20am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Here's a scan of the pic from "FOOM" #3 (1973)

And here is a page I found that shows how he looked later in "The Thunderbolts" and has additional information on the character:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/humussapien.htm

Edited by Matt Hawes on 28 May 2010 at 9:23am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

No bad characters, only bad writers aside... it looks fairly lame. Humus Sapiens?

I'm sure a talented creator could squeeze something out of it, but it sounds like a bit of a struggle.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah, I don't get what 'humus' refers to, exactly. And it can be easily confused with 'hummus.'

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One of the lesser flaws of the FF poster is that it did not occur to me to include any "interaction" among the characters. About the closest thing to such is Franklin clearly enjoying being lifted up on that platform, and Medusa looking in disgust at the Frightful Four, but unlike Nathan's piece, the characters otherwise might as well be cardboard cut-outs.

++++++++++

That reminds me...

I ran into this poster at a store the other day, and found myself sighing. It's a whole collection of promotional art (and comic art) by a variety of artists (either Photoshopped to look "painted" or just plain swiped) that has been cut-and-pasted together. Gah!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 28 May 2010 at 11:00am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I kind of like the idea of assembling a composite of different characters by different artists. Or at least I think such an idea could work. It doesn't work in the above image, though. That's a pretty bad composition.

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Is the Human Torch now black when "flamed on"?

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"I ran into this poster at a store the other day, and found myself sighing. It's a whole collection of promotional art (and comic art) by a variety of artists (either Photoshopped to look "painted" or just plain swiped) that has been cut-and-pasted together. Gah!"

My boys have that picture hanging up in their room after getting it for a gift. They love it and the four-year-old does an amazing job at naming people in it. Super Hero Squad has helped with his identification skills.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Paulo: I kind of like the idea of assembling a composite of different characters by different artists. Or at least I think such an idea could work. It doesn't work in the above image, though. That's a pretty bad composition.

-------

I think the multiple artist composite idea works best when the characters are not "occupying the same space" -- they aren't meant to be "in the same room together" so to speak. Like this...

Or this...

<< Prev Page of 59 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version