Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Who did more damage? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 1  

I've spent a fair amount of time in airports and you know what? They should really sell these things there. I see no amount of kids just sat there, looking bored or running up and down the waiting areas just desperate for something to while away the few hours between connections.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 2  

The whole Industry is waiting for the impact of Marvel being bought byDisney to really show itself. Many -- including myself -- are of theopinion that the House of Mouse is likely to simply shut down the Houseof M. It's the properties/characters Disney wants, not a comicpublishing company. If that happens -- Disney shutting down thepublishing arm of Marvel -- the whole folded paper aspect of theindustry should be effectively dead very soon after. DC and the smallercompanies cannot support the DSM all by themselves.

SER: And the Quesada Era has been all about essentially making this argument for them. They have been their own witnesses for the prosecution.

The "Growing Roses" mentality effectively negates the need for the reliable arrival of periodicals. Instead, you persuade a big star to work on the book for a brief period (singer bigger than the song). If that's the case, just sell Spider-Man Graphic Novels written by Kevin Smith whenever he gets around to it.

I've spent a fair amount of time in airports and you know what? Theyshould really sell these things there. I see no amount of kids just satthere, looking bored or running up and down the waiting areas justdesperate for something to while away the few hours betweenconnections.

SER: I don't think we're going to get the kids back. Sadly, the entire publishing market is declining. Magazines and newspapers are going under with better sales figures than SUPERMAN and BATMAN.

And a businessman who is savvy enough will definitely ask why we have to publish fanzines to a small, declining number of readers to sell the movies. IRON MAN 1 and 2 and THE DARK KNIGHT had to have had a percentage of viewers far greater than those who read the books in which those characters appear.

You want to keep Spider-Man and Superman present in the eyes of the public long-term? You've got 50 - 60 years of back catalog.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 3  

I know Steven Grant's point of view on the DM is that it was developed in part because that sales in the grocery stores and such were declining because of their crappy profit margin. Although, books also have very crappy profit margins.

I think what's killing comics now is the price. In today's economy, a single comic is way too expensive for the amount of story that is delivered. And, considering that the companies' whole paradigm is structured on you not buying even just one title a week.  A single comic with an incomplete story should not cost half the price of a paperback. For the price of several comics, I can buy enough food for the week, or pay my phone bill. Stretched over the month, I could pay my cable or power bill. And, how many comics you pay full price for five years ago are in the dollar and fifty cent boxes at the stores now?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 4  

I know Steven Grant's point of view on the DM is that it was developed in part because that sales in the grocery stores and such were declining because of their crappy profit margin.

••

The DSM came to prominence because of its promise of virtually 100% profit to the publishers -- albeit on much reduced sales overall -- but that was not why it was developed. As noted, it began as a way for dealers -- not yet retailers -- to guarantee a steady supply of back issues for resale. The DSM was what would today be called an "aftermarket" -- one that we saw mutate into virtually the sole market. As if the custom body shops somehow became the only place to buy cars.

The math, such as it was, was pretty simple. On the newsstand (and equivalents) a publisher had to print 600,000 copies of a comicbook to get 400,000, or 300,000 sales. Awful lot of loss, waste, and, frankly, corruption in that system. Thus, the profit margin was very small.

In the DSM, the publisher takes orders and prints (with some allowance for spoilage) only as many as have been ordered. 100,000 books ordered equals roughly 100,000 books printed. Huge profit margin.

Inject the speculators, and suddenly the publishers are printing 1,000,000 books to meet a 1,000,000 order, and the profit margin becomes astronomical. So "logically" if ALL the books sold thru the DSM, ALL the sales would be almost pure profit.

The assumption being that (a) the Speculator Boom is going to last forever, and (b) even if it doesn't, the previous loyal readers will still be there. Except, (a) didn't and (b), tired of being wanked around by product pandering to (a), weren't.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 5  

Here is a question. If there had never been a direct market, would we still see comics on newstands?

I honestly don't think so.

Our grocery stores, and drug stores, and convenience stores have a very corporate mentality. Space is a premium and it is going to items with a large margin. Comic books don't have a margin compared to many other items. They aren't going to make a store that much. Print itself doesn't make as much as it did for those places and the entire magazine aisle of yesterday has shrunk. I remember when my own grocery store got rid of comics long before the direct market really took off.

On top of that, look at the environment of the convenience store and how it has changed. If you look at the rack, it is made of of mastabatory content such as Maxim, Easy Rider, and on shelves only chest high, Playboy and Penthouse and the like. Would you want children going into such an envirnment on their own in this day and age to buy comics.

Yes the direct market did have an impact, and we don't have the volume of people buying we once did, but I can't say we would have more readers today if the direct market hadn't developed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 6  

If there had never been a direct market, would we still see comics on newstands?

••

The DSM "saved" comics from almost certain extinction -- but the effect was much like giving a blood transfusion to someone with N stage cancer. The inevitable might be delayed, but a delay is all that can be expected.

In the case of comics, the delay was followed by an acceleration of the decline, leaving us, today, with nothing to look forward to. About where we were before the DSM came along.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 7  

Here is a question. If there had never been a direct market, would we still see comics on newstands?

Oh, we'd definitely see comics on newsstands, but what we wouldn't be seeing is all the Batman, Superman, X-Men, et al, titles.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 8  

So what's next?  Book reprints?  "Graphic Novels"?  Any new products at all?  Or just a mining of characters for the movies and licensing?

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 9  

"The inevitable might be delayed, but a delay is all that can be expected."

But that delay added 25 years to a 50 year old institution. Ask any cancer patient if they want to add that much time to their life, or just roll over. And I would agrue there was a great deal of glory that came from that 25 year period that we couldn't have had without the direct market.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 10  

"The inevitable might be delayed, but a delay is all that can be expected."

Butthat delay added 25 years to a 50 year old institution. Ask any cancerpatient if they want to add that much time to their life, or just rollover. And I would agrue there was a great deal of glory that came fromthat 25 year period that we couldn't have had without the direct market

SER: That would have been 1985. I certainly believe that the 5 years after that gave us lots of great comics. However, without the Direct Market, the question is would we have seen those comics anyway? Would it have been the last breath of the industry?

For me, things went sour with SPIDER-MAN #1* and X-MEN #1 (OK, rock stars, screw these characters over and make yourself and us millions in the process.) Sure, there was NEXT MEN in the corner but by 1992, "The Death of Superman," the decline truly began.

*"His web line.. ADVANTAGEOUS!"

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 11  

John Byrne wrote:
The DSM "saved" comics from almost certain extinction -- but the effect was much like giving a blood transfusion to someone with N stage cancer. The inevitable might be delayed, but a delay is all that can be expected.

In the case of comics, the delay was followed by an acceleration of the decline, leaving us, today, with nothing to look forward to. About where we were before the DSM came along.

Then why is the DSM a bad thing?

Kevin Moorhead
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 12  

In the broad view, probably not. The whole Industry is waiting for the impact of Marvel being bought by Disney to really show itself. Many -- including myself -- are of the opinion that the House of Mouse is likely to simply shut down the House of M. It's the properties/characters Disney wants, not a comic publishing company. If that happens -- Disney shutting down the publishing arm of Marvel -- the whole folded paper aspect of the industry should be effectively dead very soon after. DC and the smaller companies cannot support the DSM all by themselves

-----------------------------------------------------------

Are we, at that point, looking at the idea of Disney farming out their Marvel characters like they've been doing with their Disney ones?  Is it possible that 10 years from now BOOM! (or whomever) will be doing Spider-Man?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version