Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Gay Couples Adopting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 1  

Being a human being with the capacity for thought....I have zero problems with Homosexuals marrying, adopting, or any other thing that any other person would do.

Your thought of Gay couples adopting gays is an interesting one, it would seem to be a natural fit, but sadly many gay people are unaware of their sexual orientation at the early age that most adoptions take place...

It would be an interesting thing to see Gay couples go out of the way to try and adopt a youth that identified and homosexual though.  that kind of support is very important.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Martino
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 2  

I agree that gay couples or single gays should be able to adopt. I thought they could to be honest.

Instilling self esteem is not an easy task. My daughter is gorgeous, yet she thinks she is ugly. No matter how much we tell her the contrary, sometimes self esteem is, in itself, elusive.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 3  

The idea -- let alone the reality -- of homosexual minors has been virtually ignored in American law, focusing instead on protecting supposedly unformed adolescent sexuality, which is seen to be particularly susceptible to influence and confusion. An article in the Yale Journal of Law and Feminism found that cases law that discusses freely how adoption may impact the heterosexual development of children demonstrates an "utter, complete absence of even the mention of youth who find themselves attracted to members of their own sex." 

A Florida Circuit Court judge, in 2008, held that a statute prohibiting homosexuals from adopting children violated foster children's constitutional right to permanency, and that the statute discriminated against homosexuals and children without a rational basis for the discrimination. The decision relied on the expert opinions of psychologists and sociologists, which confirm that "the majority of homosexual children are not from homosexual parented households although homosexual children in homosexual households are more willing to consider, expose and/or express their homosexual feelings."

I can't find another case that discusses the value gay youth might place on being raised in a gay household.
Back to Top profile | search

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 4  

Is a good idea JB, but I'm not 100% on this with you.

There's no way to be sure that gay parents are going to be good "gay role model" after all, the only way we -gay men and women- know, is the straight way to rise children.

-I had two of my nephews at my care for many of their formative years -after my sister divorced-, both of them are straight married men that are proud to call me father. At the same time, I never had contact with my other nephew and he is gay, seems like my other sister and her husband did a great job rising a gay child-.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 5  

My best friend is gay, and I have seen him and his partner treated with love, support and respect from his friends (gay and not gay) and family. I would think (and hope) that this would be enough of a support structure for them to raise kids (gay or not). As to helping their kids (assuming you could choose if the child is gay) deal with at least some of the crap? Yes, I think they could help by relating with what the child is going through growing up gay. Either way, it would be cool if they did adopt…I would be the coolest Uncle!

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 6  

Somewhere John Peter Britton's head is exploding.

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 7  

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 8  

I believe that if a couple can extend their love and compromise in order to raise a child, they should have that chance. Either straight or gay. I know a lovely church administrator in California that after their parents separated because they found out that both parents were gay, she was raised by her father and his "partner". She's happily married with a great guy.

And i have met 2 couples, gay men, that have adopted and are raising children, and they are ok. Those who are gay and say that they would not do it, and i include myself, are those who are afraid of the compromise and challenge of raising a kid and the changes to their life style.

When gay marriage and adoption were approved here in Mexico City, i found out that most people are OK with Gay Marriage, but the ones who were most against Gay Adoption were....women. Seems like they felt like Gays were getting in roles exclusive for for women (Mexico's culture is based on Matriarchy).

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 9  

I am 100% in favor of gay adoption. I am, however, 100% against show tune adoption. No child should ever be subjected to show tunes.

Albert Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 10  

George Takei and Brad obviously agree. They have a papilon, which is the gay breed of dog.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 11  

I am 100% in favor of gay adoption. I am, however, 100% against show tune adoption. No child should ever be subjected to show tunes.

But Paul, that's one of our time tested indoctrination tools!  Haven't you heard?  We have a master plan to recruit members to our little club.  And a little Hello Dolly goes a long way in the brain washing department. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

There seems to be some thinking here that Gay is something people BECOME -- as if it is learned behavior. According to everything I have read, it is genetic, like blue eyes or brown skin. Thus, if we were so inclined, it should be possible to tell right from birth if someone was going to grow up Gay.

This is not a case of waiting around for troubled teenagers! By then, much of the damage has already been done. I am talking about Gay babies! Babies genetically encoded to be Gay, just as I was genetically encoded to be Straight.

(Weird sidebar: If we could, indeed, "test for Gayness" at a genetic level idiots who would have trouble with their kids growing up to be Gay could immediately put them up for adoption, and, again, the support structure would be there right from the start.)

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version