Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Alan Moore and the Rights to Watchmen (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 1  

I saw a documentary about Moore recently, and he's even more eccentric than I had imagined.........I can't decide whether he's a gifted prophet or just absolutely nucking futs.  Maybe a little of both?
Back to Top profile | search

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
You know, I still don't understand the clamor about a writer who's had nothing but simmering contempt for the industry

Well, it's pretty easy. Moore is widely regarded to be the best comic book writer ever and one of his works, Watchmen, is thought to be the pinnacle of the medium. He also something of a diva, who always have something controversial to say if asked. All of that is more than enough to justify the attention he gets.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think both, Tony. His fascination with magick and synchronicity have always seemed silly to me outside the context of his stories, but his actual approach to them is anything but frivolous. He's very well read and always seems to go at them from an intellectual perspective. The ritualism is From Hell was was quite compelling and I've mostly heard good things about his exploration of magick in Promethea.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

Agapito Qhelas wrote:
Moore is widely regarded to be the best comic book writer ever and one of his works, Watchmen, is thought to be the pinnacle of the medium.

Of what kind of comic books?  That's like saying X is considered the best author of books without specifying what kinds of books they write: fiction, non fiction, historical, self-help, catalogs.  If a person generalizes and puts Moore at the top of the list of all authors of comic books of all time, regardless of the genre, then I'd have to cry foul.  His superhero work alone, especially on mainstream all ages, iconic heroes isn't enough to make him "the best" superhero writer "ever". 

As far as WATCHMEN being the "pinnacle of the medium" I'd laugh if I wasn't choking on my own bile.  It's just OK.  There are certainly superhero comic books, many of them in fact, that are far more worthy than the dark, deconstructionist, unsuperheroic story that is WATCHMEN.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Moore is widely regarded to be the best comic book writer ever and one of his works, Watchmen, is thought to be the pinnacle of the medium.

==================================

I'll see your Alan Moore and raise it with almost any Lee/Kirby 60's Marvel (may even throw in Lee/Ditko Spider-Man).  Now that's creation and to me setting the pinnacle about as high as it could ever go.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:

Of what kind of comic books?  That's like saying X is considered the best author of books without specifying what kinds of books they write: fiction, non fiction, historical, self-help, catalogs.  If a person generalizes and puts Moore at the top of the list of all authors of comic books of all time, regardless of the genre, then I'd have to cry foul.  His superhero work alone, especially on mainstream all ages, iconic heroes isn't enough to make him "the best" superhero writer "ever". 

As far as WATCHMEN being the "pinnacle of the medium" I'd laugh if I wasn't choking on my own bile.  It's just OK.  There are certainly superhero comic books, many of them in fact, that are far more worthy than the dark, deconstructionist, unsuperheroic story that is WATCHMEN

You might choke all you like, but Watchmen, the movie, was *promoted* as being based on "The Most Celebrated Graphic Novel of All Time"

I'm not saying what Alan Moore and Watchmen are. You can think any number of writers or comics are better; I'm saying what they are considered to be and why fans tend to pay attention when he speaks on a subject.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 7  

Moore has done some brilliant work as a writer, but by no means would I put him anywhere near the top of the list of greatest comic book writers.

What I want to know, though, is has he always been eccentric or did he have a nervous breakdown at some point?

P.S. You know what? I never did actually ever read Watchmen until this year (checked it out at the local library), and when I did I found it good but very highly overrated.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 30 July 2010 at 12:22am

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 8  

Agapito is right. The opinion of any one of us is anecdotal, but broad perception is that Moore's one of the greats. Monte wanted to know why the clamor and that's the simple answer.

Edited by Tim Farnsworth on 30 July 2010 at 12:26am

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 9  

While that may be true, let's at least put it into perspective -- it's a perception held by a (possibly large) percent of a very, very small audience.  And I doubt many people outside of that audience would have a clue who he is.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 10  

Sure, but if we use that qualifier then no one but Stan Lee holds any importance!

I could almost roll with that, but I think Moebius and Tezuka would frown on me :)

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 11  

You might choke all you like, but Watchmen, the movie, was *promoted* as being based on "The Most Celebrated Graphic Novel of All Time"

---

Yes, because hyperbole and exaggeration aren't ever used in advertisements when promoting something. Most Celebrated? Seriously? By whom?

I really enjoy Watchmen. I've re-read it numbers of times. I've lent my old TPB copy to more than a dozen people, finally giving it to someone when I got the Absolute. 

Never once in my life have I CELEBRATED it. Never once in my life have I called it THE GREATEST COMIC EVER. 

I think by celebrated they mean it sells well, and consistently. Which, given the fact that it's been in print for 20+ years isn't saying much, since for much of that time most of the other better comics haven't been. 

Lee/Ditko Spider-Man? Lee/Kirby FF? The Lee/Romita Spider-Man? Classic Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans? Gil Kane Green Lantern? Silver-Age Flash? All-Star Squadron? Will Eisner's Spirit? Unless you want to spend a fortune on Masterworks or Archives, which haven't been in print consistently as long as Watchmen, you can't read those runs. Oh, there's black and white on cheaper paper, but really, if those collections were available as colour versions for the same price or very little more, I guarantee the colours would be a better seller. 

Calling Watchmen the most celebrated because of cheapness and availability is like calling a whore more celebrated than a princess because more guys have celebrated her. 

Mike Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Well Time Magazine did list it as one of the 100 greatest novels of all time.

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version