Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Alan Moore and the Rights to Watchmen (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 1  

I don't think it was ever in any danger of going out of print. It's been a reliable seller since it was collected, with most of the sales coming outside of comic shops.

Back to Top profile | search

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 2  

If "Earth W" (Earth Watchmen) is one of the 52, and the Earth One guys meet The Team With No Name, wouldn't Dr. Manhattan be able to destroy Superman with a flick of his pinky?  Let's hope they don't do the Marvelesque "we must misunderstand one another first, then fight, then settle our differences and team up" thingie, or the Man of Steel's in trouble!  ;)  

And could Batman beat Ozymandius?  

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 3  

And could Batman beat Ozymandius?  

Now there's the type of question that puts a big smile on Dan Didio's face <g>.

Morrison doing a "Watchmen-esque murder mystery" is insane.

I wonder if Grant wants to prove he's as good or better than Alan? I know, an irresponsible assumption at best <g>.....
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 4  

Given the nature of superhero comics in the past 30 years (strip mining and beating to death anything that's successful) I'm surprised there hasn't been a sequel to Watchmen yet.  The rumors about Levitz declaring it off limits must be true.  Yet it strikes me as strange he would do that.  Why should Watchmen be considered more sacred than any of the dozens (hundreds?) of characters and stories that have been rewritten, recycled, or otherwise exploited by people other than their original creators over the years in superhero comics?  

Andy Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

Does the prospect of more Watchmen hold any interest?
Nope.  I bought the trade of the series years ago and still haven't managed to finish it.  I break it out when I get insomnia and need something to put me to sleep.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

Out of curiosity, Andy, if Watchmen 'puts you to sleep (sic)', can you name an example of a comic or series you find especially well written (either past or presnt)?

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

Further WATCHMEN books doesn't hold any appeal for me.  Honestly I read the original as  trade and found it.... ok.  Nothing that left me wanting more or celebrating the book as a master work.  I'm sure I"m in the minority, but that's my opinion. 
I'd much rather read stories of the Charlton characters as intended.  Blue Beetle, Thunderbolt, Captain Atom etc.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

Greg, if something seems slow and puts someone to sleep doesn't necessarily mean it's badly written or of bad quality. It means its rhythm isn't aimed at that particular someone.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

Nope.  I bought the trade of the series years ago and still haven't managed to finish it.  I break it out when I get insomnia and need something to put me to sleep.

I forced myself to finish it and it very nearly did put me to sleep. I have no desire to ever read it again and I also have no interest in reading any sort of sequel or prequel.

David Teller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

Personally,  I adore Watchmen - As a cynical British view on a world of SuperHeroes, I found it very compelling and enjoyable.

And I still do.

I also really appreciate Zombie movies.

However, I have no need for all these Zombie-Lit books coming out. Taking Jane Austin and retrofitting Zombies? Odd, Bizarre, Inappropriate and most importantly - UNINTERESTING.

Watchmen has ruined US comic books for me - This is not Alan Moore's or Watchmen's fault - but for the limited thinking of those that followed. I do not need to see the Marvel/DC equivalent of Zombies rocking round what was a great POP art Kirby-verse.

David Teller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

And of course as soon as I posted that I realise that Marvel has *literally* got zombies running round it's Kirbyverse!

Andy Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

Greg,
The Days of Future Past, The Phoenix Saga, the Beta Ray Bill and Surtur(?) issues of Thor during Simonson's run, JB's run on Fantastic Four, issues of Thor, Simonson's Manhunter, don't know the issues but do know the artist - Jim Aparo's Batman run with Ra's Al Ghul, Neal Adams dealing with the same characters, Nexus (earlier issues), I loved Longshot, Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Teen Titans, Legends, Sword of the Atom, FF - intro of Galactus and the Silver Surfer, Batman annual - The Player on the Other Side (Michael Golden art...see a theme here?  MUCH more familiar with artists), Camelot 2000...there are plenty more but I'm tired of typing.

I didn't like The Watchmen...at all...I thought it was boring, I really didn't like the art and had no affinity, whatsoever, for any of the characters.  I also got tired of Dr. Manhattan walking around butt naked.  If he had that much power why did he need to walk around with his pecker flapping in the wind?  He couldn't whip up a pair of cosmic underoos?

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version