Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Bring back the yellow oval! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

Boy....I know we've joked about the current crop of writers pissing all over established comic book icons, but THIS.....
Back to Top profile | search

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

Well, it was Kevin Smith, and honestly, who cares what he writes.  Fan fic at its worst.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

Kevin Smith should stick to "snoochie boochies" and leave superheroes the hell  alone.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

About Kevin Smith, I checked the link that Lance posted to see what everyone was talking about and that page led me to a review on Comicsalliance.com, which in turn led me to a comment from a poster who posted a quote from Kevin Smith who believes smoking pot while writing "Batman: The Widening Gyre" has made him write better than ever before:

Kevin Smith wrote:
... I’m far more creative now, you know. I’ve been writing this Batman: The Widening Gyre miniseries, and I’m stoned all the time when I’m writing it. And, I swear, I’ll write it, and then, it’s not so much blackout, but forget, so much so that the next morning, I go to read what I wrote, and it’s, like, I’m that f***in’ little cobbler and elves came and f***in' wrote it in the night, because I’m, like, 'This is better than anything I’ve ever written before.' I mean, like, I’ve done comics, but this is way better....

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/29/worst-of-the-worst- batman-the-widening-gyre-6/

Batman getting high, pissing himself, and discussing with Alfred the number of times Silver St. Cloud had orgasms when they first slept together, among many other things... Yep, sounds like Kevin Smith was high when he wrote the story, all right.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wow, if those stories were actually published by DC Comics, rather than some rogue fanboy publication that DC will obviously sue the pants off of, I'd be really disappointed... oh wait.

Much like the Spider-Man losing his eye, growing stingers, and eating his enemy storyline, I ultimately blame the publishers. They are the custodians of these characters. You don't blame the monkey for shooting someone. You blame the person who gave the monkey the gun.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

While I grew up with the yellow oval, I've gotten used to him not having it. Not having the oval works better with him being a "working in shadows" character.

I'm more flexible with the belt approach, although some artists have drawn Batman with pouches so big you'd think his pants would fall down. I have no problem with the thin cylinder approach to the belt.

Bat armor? I'll buy that the cloth of his Bat-Suit might have some defensive kevlar-like weave, but this is a character who favors speed and utility over bulk.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

Every so often, I think comics have reached their nadir and that they couldn't possibly get any worse. 

Someone always proves me wrong.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

The thing is, Batman's oval isn't supposed to be the size of a turkey. It should be about fist-sized, an emblem that appears in that black, roiling cape, if old Batman chooses to show it off. And who would be show it off to? Gotham criminals, obviously, if only to freak them out. And the Gotham police, so they won't shoot at the big black roiling cape thing against the night.

Wouldn't that make sense? Isn't that what an emblem is supposed to do, denote visually an identity? The oval is not just there for no reason, and Batman doesn't have to be "targeted" by it, since he's got a big ass cape that allows him to dodge bullets and all kinds of wickedness!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

I just read the article from the link that Matt Hawes posted. Kevin Smith just joined JMS and Peter Jackson on the list of people whose work I will not pay for in any way, shape or form no matter what they work on. That is the worst treatment of Batman I have ever seen.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wow, if those stories were actually published by DC Comics, rather than some rogue fanboy publication that DC will obviously sue the pants off of, I'd be really disappointed... oh wait.

Much like the Spider-Man losing his eye, growing stingers, and eating his enemy storyline, I ultimately blame the publishers. They are the custodians of these characters. You don't blame the monkey for shooting someone. You blame the person who gave the monkey the gun.

Why can't we blame both? Yes, the publishers are at fault, but the writer should know better as well.  

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

Okay, back to the voting...

I vote for the bat symbol without the oval, but I like the yellow oval because that's the Batman I grew up with.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
... I’m far more creative now, you know. I’ve been writing this Batman: The Widening Gyre miniseries, and I’m stoned all the time when I’m writing it. And, I swear, I’ll write it, and then, it’s not so much blackout, but forget, so much so that the next morning, I go to read what I wrote, and it’s, like, I’m that f***in’ little cobbler and elves came and f***in' wrote it in the night, because I’m, like, 'This is better than anything I’ve ever written before.' I mean, like, I’ve done comics, but this is way better....

Yeah, I'm sure everything you do seems brilliant when you're stoned. Sheesh.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version