Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: OT: Modern comics and modern coloring. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

It's ironic that the almost endless palette available to the modern computer colourist seems have led to less dynamic, less effective colouring.

The most important skills in the modern colourists repertoire appear to be restraint and judgement. And not many colourists seem to have these skills.

Back to Top profile | search

Ben Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Seems to me most of the complaints on this thread could be attributed to the colorists themselves and the choices they make, not computer technology itself

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 3  

Seems to me most of the complaints on this thread could be attributed to the colorists themselves and the choices they make, not computer technology itself

Yeah, obviously we could colour a page by computer and make it look like a page from 1974. But as this is basically never done, it’s reasonable shorthand to refer to the modern style, enabled by computer, as ”computer colouring”.

Now, what do I think about computer colours, really? I love the old style, probably since I grew up reading it – the stylized look, the clarity of linework that inspired me to take up drawing. I was going to say I don’t like the new style ”because”:

a) it’s too dark, because even when the inker used a lot of black the colourist sees fit to fill his part with every shade from dark to light, resulting in an overabundance of oscuro;

b) everything is made shiny, for some reason, perhaps because the colourist is masturbating at work;

c) colorists have insufficient art training and can’t deal with light sources, resulting in unrealistic play of light and shadow; and

d) it lets Photoshop effects such as blur, glow and lens flare obscure the line art and work against the nature of the medium.

But was that really true? These were just my knee-jerk reactions or received opinions, so I decided to look through my three most recent comics to see what I really think. They were three (not all that recent) TPBs: American Dream: Beyond Courage, Hercules: Love and War, and Spider-Girl: Whatever Happened to the Daughter of Spider-Man?.

American Dream, coloured by Rob Ro, doesn’t look dark at all, and perhaps not exactly shiny either, except where it should. Still, there is quite a bit of glow from bright light sources, and Dream has an enemy who is a ”crystal monster” who has a master called Silikong, and these guys’ blacks are rendered as light grey.

My hunch about light sources was correct. Highlights are all over the place, but overall the colouring is so flat and non-realist with no real sense of where light is coming from that this might not really be a problem. Except I suspect this is what is often meant by ”shiny”. Not like the Savage Dragon cover posted, where She-Dragon glistened like oiled-up emerald, but still.

Hercules, colored by Guru EFX, Raúl Treviño and Lee Loughride, does look moderately darker in places, but not to the point where it would be a complaint. A lot of the book is shinier than American Dream, and while lighting is handled pretty well in panels with obvious light sources, highlights quickly become corny in more ambient light. I don’t mind the glows, though, and there is no filter idiocy at all à la blur or lens flare.

(Even though I’m supposed to talk about colouring I must say I really like some aspects of the art in this book. American Dream was for the most part dynamic, but pretty ugly (Todd Nauk / Scott Koblish); Clayton Henry here draws pretty beautiful people with huge jaws and broad noses on both men and women, and the women’s limbs manage to look both strong and lithe, both realistic and stylized at the same time. I guess I won’t post any examples of this as it has nothing to do with colours, and the downside is that the action can get pretty static-looking.)

Spider-Girl, coloured by Gotham, is inked with a lot more black, but I thought the colourist handled this pretty well. Modern effectery is at a minimum, but the busy highlighting and the heavy linework really clash, and make each panel difficult to look at.

It’s much more pronounced on the printed page, but I couldn’t bring out the effect in Photoshop. And this simply is not a reasonable approximation of how we see the world. When I look casually at my laptop, at my pillow, at my lampshade, I register them as being silvery, red and white – the play of light and shade doesn’t demand my attention the way it really does here. 

And this is probably why I don’t like computer colours very much, even though it’s difficult to put the finger on it very precisely. When you go for a ”realistic” colouring, two problems arise:

1) It becomes a compromise between the stylized and the realistic, and I don’t like compromises.

2) It doesn’t look more realistic at all, due both to the constraints of colouring line art and to the inept way colourists handle hightlights and shadow. A French Academic-style oil painting can look pretty realistic. Spider-Girl does not. 

Of course it’s not reasonable to demand that each panel look like a Cabanel. That would requrie way too much work. But if corners must be cut from realism, I liked the old style better, because it cut so many more. Simply taking steps that could result in more realism doesn’t translate into better art. 

This has been much ado about little, but at least I learned something in the process, if only about how modern comics really look and why I’m not crazy about them.

Edited by Johan Vikberg on 08 August 2010 at 10:46am

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 4  

The biggest problem I have with that Spider-Girl page is a lack of focus. It's as though every single object on the page is competing for my attention. The bright blue out the window, the bright purple of the high chair, and the bright yellow of the cabinet all seem as "important" to the scene as the characters. And the reds all seem to blend together. Personally, I would have eliminated all reds from the palette other than the women's hair. This would have put the spotlight on the costume as it's pulled from the bag. As it stands, the red costume is just another background detail, and since it has so much black in it, it doesn't even draw the eye as much as the kitchen cabinet does.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Sweeney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 5  

Same reaction, Ray.  And in the first example page, the color pull on the rock-entity creates confusion in the depth planes.  In panel #3, it works (probably because it fills the lower foreground) but in panel #2 it looks like it might be behind her.  There should be four clear depth planes; background, woman, scanner, entity.

The second sample page is at least fairly clear.  The third is just mud...you have to squint at it to figure out what is what, and there is no focus, no eye-leading...just competing values.

IANAA, of course.  Just an opinionated fan.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

That is so true, Ray, I’m surprised I didn’t realize it! I guess I was focusing too hard on what is uniquely modern in the colouring job, but of course you point out the real problem. Even if the busy modern method may be aggravating it just a little ... it’s a type of mistake that could just as easily have been done in the old style.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wow, not familiar with that Batman page but it's a beaut. Calls to mind the great coloring I've been seeing in the Prince Valiant reprints I've been reading:

This size doesn't quite do it justice, but you can see a lot more if you just Google "Prince Valiant" and "Hal Foster."

Am I correct in thinking the newspapers had better color options than comics in those days? There's a lot of subtlety in how the Foster stuff is colored and I've never been sure if that was just his deftness with the brush or simply more technical options. Or both!

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

K I agree, it looks like the light sources are all over and random, that's why I usually like flat tones better too. srry I skimmed through your post too fast.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 08 August 2010 at 1:39pm

Mike Sweeney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

Tim....I'm saving that Foster as a reference to how to use color right! 

That's the two things that really stood out for me, and they are endemic to a general problem with computer coloring.  It seems to concentrate on the small scale, on the single surface or single color, without looking at the total effect. 

Even the Herc page, which at least is clean and non-distracting, there is no sense of the lighting environment.  I guess it pains me most to know that here is a tool that could be used to clarify an image, construct proper depth, show the lighting, focus the attention, and so forth, but all the time spent in applying it seems to be frittered away in highlights and glowing bits and texture fills that don't add any real information.

I have to wonder, though..how much of this is me speaking as a theatrical lighting designer, when modeling the space and leading the eye and constructing the mood and environment with great swaths of color (aka light of a specific quality, direction, and gel) is _what_I_do_.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

I grabbed a few modern images I liked from Dave Stewart's recent work on BPRD and some Darwyn Cooke stuff.

I think Stewart really knows how to work with the modern paper stock so you don't get the gleamy, schlocky look.

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

Dave Stewart's work on New Frontier reminded me of Richmond Lewis' in Batman: Year One.

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2010 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

After all this, I thought I’d go back and re-examine the other part of my ”opinion” that the old style was better. I looked at the three favourite comics I had as a kid: JB’s Dark Phoenix Saga, George Perez’s New Teen Titans, and Brian Bolland’s Camelot 3000. I guess we all know what these classics look like. At least I thought I had a pretty good idea.

Wait, was that the New Teen Titans that looked so good? Colour-wise, it is not obviously better than the Hercules page i posted. Come to think of it, I originally read this in black & white. I always say I don’t like black & white. I’m starting to suspect that’s not true either.

This is really beautiful, but I don’t think each and every page of my trade looks quite this good colour-wise. Not least the book gives the lie to my notion that modern comics are darker. This looks dark as hell, with plenty of black and big solid areas of dark, saturated colours. My modern comics look like pastels by comparison.

If I were to compare this to modern colors, I’d say I like it better than most of what I posted above. But I’m not sure it’s optimal.

And now my very favourite comic of all: 

OK, so I deliberately chose the last and best-looking page of the whole series, and there are pages that compared to this are downright ugly. Still, it was nice to be reminded of how good the old style could look.

Much of what makes the modern pages I posted so bad does indeed come from the colouring. But the American Dream and Spider-Girl art is atrocious to begin with. (My first reaction to the American Dream trade was that it was nice that a whole book about a girl in skin-tight clothes was totally devoid of wanking fodder, but then I realized it was not a conscious choice, simply art too bad to turn anybody on.) I don’t like modern comics very much, but it has a lot less to do with computer colours than I thought. The art seems inferior to so much I read as a kid, both in terms of beauty and storytelling – and of course the stories themselves have gone way downhill.

Reading this stuff, though, it became clear that I haven’t simply outgrown comics. The Dark Phoenix Saga I find it impossible to have an opinion on today, after all that’s gone down, but Perez’s Teen Titans is impossible to put down, fascinating in every panel, and Camelot 3000 is still the best comic I have ever read, and one of the best looking. I liked it as much today as when I was 10 years old. 

So I will keep buying comics now and then, and keep being disappointed by what’s in them, regardless of art and colours. I mean, even that Hercules, which was recommended to me as an example of good writing today, was too goofy and didn’t take itself seriously and at the same time managed to have Poseidon himself hung up in chains with some cliched bitch pointing a handgun to his temple.

Edited by Johan Vikberg on 08 August 2010 at 3:34pm

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version