Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: First Class - 08.15.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 August 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If you check Peter Wyngarde's IMDb page, you will find this mentioned among the trivia!

++++

The comic book Wyngarde looks more imposing.

••

Very weird for me to have this "connection" to Peter Wyngarde. I first "met" him in the AVENGERS TV episode "A Touch of Brimstone", which featured its own version of the Hellfire Club. (Chris had just seen that particular show when he decided he wanted to bring the Hellfire Club into UNCANNY.)

From there it was a quick hop, skip and jump to "casting" Wyngarde as the more suave and seductive version of Mastermind who corrupts Jean/Phoenix, unleashing the evil side of Phoenix Jean's personality had been keeping in check (NOT the other way 'round!).

Now, to see my X-MEN work cited on the IMDb, and to Google Wyngarde and see an X-MEN cover of mine turn up on the second page of images -- well, there's just nothing in that clutch of words I could have possibly imagined when I saw that AVENGERS episode, or when Chris and I set sail on the ultimately story seas of the Dark Phoenix "saga".

Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There's tons of abused people who repeat their abuser's behavior. Idon't think it's that far out of an idea. And survivor or not, Magnetois a crazy lunatic.

••

A pocketsized psychobabble response thatoverlooks the fact that the Holocaust was not about the abuse of anindividual -- it was about the abuse and intended annihilation of awhole People.

SER: It also interjects reality into a perfectly good metaphor, one that good serve whatever purpose you want. Magneto as an evil mutant can function as a white supremacist or a black nationalist -- just depending on the angle you wish to take. Making him Jewish and tying him to the Holocaust anchors him to reality for the sake of "relevance" (it also had the unfortunate side effect of *dating* him, so you wound up with lots of hand waving to explain his vitality as time progressed).

It's like the fan who says, "Wouldn't it be neat to reveal that Peter Parker is gay! Then you could deal with someone who feels alienated from the world around him and who has to keep a secret from his family that he doesn't think they'll accept." Of course, that's unnecessary because you can already tell those stories by virtue of Peter being Spider-Man.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Joakim wrote:
"...it's interesting that you opted to keep Wolverine's 'ears' on his uniform mask..."

Just like you mention, I felt that Wolverine has become identified with his unique mask design, so I figured best to leave it as a neat variation on the uniform. Along with Banshee and Storm.
(Thanks btw !, I appreciate it)

Tony Midyett wrote:
"Has anyone ever drawn any non-X-Men in the original X-Men uniforms?"

As a matter of fact... I DID!
(not that I'm a Somebody, but it's a funny co-incidence that you ask)

I drew this way back in high school and I actually posted it here in the sketchbook thread shortly after I joined the JBF, along with this one...

...which is obviously inspired/ripped off from JB's ComicReader cover. (my scanner chopped off the top of Colossus' head, sorry)

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2010 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That's great, Lars...thanks for sharing those.  I especially like Mr. Fantastic in his X-Men gear, for some reason...

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have a question for JB and the rest of the board in regards to Angel's powers and the way they were used during a couple of issues of the 2nd Excalibur series written by Claremont. In those issues it was revealed and shown that Angel is everything that birds are and more. Basically, Angel is like a giant bird and in addition to being stronger (not superhuman strength) then a normal human, his vision is equal to that of an Eagles and his wings have superhuman strength and he was shown holding up a collapse wall and ceiling using his wings and arms. My question to you guys is do you think that this is a proper use of Angel's powers?

Edited by Rick Whiting on 20 August 2010 at 9:44pm

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2010 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Not only no, but hell no.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Lars, your X-Men in more original team uniforms makes me wish Bruce Timm had done an X-Men cartoon with that basic concept.  Man, I'm liking the proper uniform concept more and more as it turns out.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I wish Angel could just go back to being "the man with wings who can fly".  Maybe we should ret-con the super-strength, blue skin, blades for feathers, healing blood, explosive pancreas, ability to be written out of character, ability to be drawn badly, x-ray eardrums, and all his other powers.

Edited by Tony Midyett on 21 August 2010 at 3:31am

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I can't stop looking at this piece!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andy Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2010 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Love the early look Iceman with the boots on this one.

Just a question. I always wondered why Iceman never got his own series?

Bobby Drake always had sort of a Peter Parker quality to me. Teen heroes like him I would think would be popular. Not to mention I used to like the cartoons on Saturday morning, Spiderman and his Amazing Friends.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 August 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I always wondered why Iceman never got his own series?

••

Maybe we should be glad he didn't! Look what happened to Hank when he got his!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Iceman DID get a limited series.  And MAN was it bad.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version