Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Man of Steel Love (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 1  

I loved everthing about MOS. One thing in particular, the big panels, was a joy to behold, specially for someone who had to read it in a A5 format. I remember not liking George Perez because of the small panels.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 2  

One of the things I enjoyed about MOS (and most JB work) is the way cool new things were added to the mythos, while maintaining the essential qualities that make the character iconic.

JB's version of Krypton and the culture was radically different from the previous continuity, but was a springboard for interesting stories and character bits.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 3  

JB's version of Krypton and the culture was radically different from the previous continuity, but was a springboard for interesting stories and character bits.

••

When Seigel and Shuster created Superman, their version of Krypton was the common shorthand for "futuristic". Unfortunately, it became carved in stone, so it didn't take long for Kal-El's birthplace to look anything BUT "futuristic". It looked more like it was stuck in a 1930s movie serial.

My redesign of Krypton was intended to dodge that particular bullet. Rather than trying to design something that would still look "futuristic" a decade or three hence, I went for something "alien". If my version had also become carved in stone, we could still be visiting Krypton a hundred years from now without it looking antiquated.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 4  

He was a Kansas farmboy with alien DNA.

••

And not necessarily even that! One of the deeper subtexts (unrevealed at the time) behind my "Host" story, was that those long-ago humans who left Earth hundreds of thousands of years before we came along might well have been the original settlers of the planet Krypton.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 5  

I remember not liking George Perez because of the small panels.

••

I would never fault George on the art, of course, but I really didn't like how he turned Superman into a clone of Jor-El.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 6  

MoS became the most accessible point to access Superman. That's the comic that got me into Superman in comics.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

Juan:  excellent point on the accessibility.  MoS also got me into DC comics.  I had loved Superman since watching George Reeves as a lad, but didn't care for the WGBS reporter in the comics with the super-ventriloquism, super-robots, near-omnipotence (tossing planets around), and all the baggage.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

As I have mentioned before, Roger Stern used to say of one particular writer that he had trouble writing superheroes because he could not believe anybody could be more noble than he was -- which was not very!

----

JB, would that writer be known for his extensive runs on the Batman titles would he? Otherwise, I can think of another writer who also has trouble writing superheroes, Superman specifically. But, he could relate to Batman because he was a regular person. Well, anytime I hear this it drives me up the wall. With Superman, if you don't concentrate on the powers, you look at his nobility. That's something to aspire towards, realizing it's an unobtainable goal, just like you would many mythological and biblical characters.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

As I have mentioned before, Roger Stern used to say of one particular writer that he had trouble writing superheroes because he could not believe anybody could be more noble than he was -- which was not very!

----

JB, would that writer be known for his extensive runs on the Batman titles would he?

••

No -- and if I wanted to name names, I would name names.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

I loved the way that Mr Byrne contrasted Kryptonians with Humans and specifically Americans, but also loved that Jor-el was shown having some of those dang emotions that humans had, too!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 11  

Accessibility is the key word.

Superman is a mass comic book. It should be aimed at averyone.
Accessible stories, hooking artwork.

Today? Today we have a mess comic book.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 12  

Superman is a mass comic book. It should be aimed at averyone.

••

One of the greatest problems besetting the comicbook industry today is the way in which the publishers, faced with shrinking audiences, have targeted the books at even SMALLER audiences.

It's as if they're all saying "CAPTAIN FONEBONE is only selling 25,000 per month, so let's do stories that will appeal to 15,000 of those readers!"

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version