Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Man of Steel Love (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 1  

During that New Krypton on Earth/Superman on New Krypton/Earth Vs New Krypton mess (which lasted something like 20 months) you could get an issue of SUPERMAN or ACTION and what you had was:

a chapter from a huge storyline which ran in... five titles, two of which only Superman related (Supergirl and Adventure; not buying them, I lost part of the events, but who cares).
No Superman and, if he was there, he was not wearing his costume.
Totally unappealing artwork, with static figures, no facial expressions.

This was the worst defeat for Superman: not being a mass product. Sure, they at DC made some hardcore collector continuity geek happy... I think I have never hated a Superman era so much. Heck, even the post resurrection stories were better.

And now, with Super Forrest Gump in SUPERMAN and Lex Luthor with his robotic girlfriend in ACTION, things haven't improved...

Groan.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 2  

Heck, even the post resurrection stories were better.

Including Electric Blue Supes? <g>. Man, the poor dude has appeared in some pretty crappy comics over the years, which is a shame considering he's such an icon.

'No respect' (in my worst Rodney Dangerfield impression) <g>.

Comics are cyclical; they'll eventually get back to telling 'classic' Superman stories (fingers crossed).

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 3  

MoS became the most accessible point to access Superman. That's the comic that got me into Superman in comics.

The beauty of JB's Superman run was that the accesibility did not end with MOS. Sure, MOS was a perfect "jumping on point" (I hate hate hate that term!) But once it was over, a new reader could still jump into any issue of the Superman run and find out everything he needed to know. I actually started with JB's Superman #1 (which still has my favorite cover of all time) and then backtracked to read MOS.

If this was done today, by those working for DC now,  they'd announce MOS as a "jumping on point" and then go back into convoluted, impenetrable, impossible to follow for a new reader, junk as soon as MOS was over.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 4  

Comics are cyclical; they'll eventually get back to telling 'classic' Superman stories (fingers crossed).

••

Ah, but that's where we stumble! What is "classic"? The Superman I first "met" was constantly vexed with red kyptonite turning him into all kinds of bizarre things. He was one of at least a BILLION survivors of Krypton. A good deal of his time was devoted to convincing Lois Lane that he wasn't Clark Kent -- that's when he wasn't playing cruel tricks on her!

To many, THAT is the "classic" Superman!

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

When I think of the "classic" version of a superhero, the term "classic" brings to mind how it characterizes other arts -- i.e., that the "classic" depiction of a superhero would be formal, refined, simple and restrained in style, revealing internal and external harmony and perhaps even elegance, not to mention grandeur (but without cheap spectacle).

And after I think that, I further think that probably no "classic" version so defined ever existed at any one point! My nostalgic memory is merely gleaning and conglomerating everything I've ever read or heard or seen into a "classic" version that never was -- and I'm not sure it ever could be, either.

Edited by Michael Penn on 07 December 2010 at 12:23pm

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

After reading the article and seeing the panels, I'm reminded of a question I've had since I read the comic when it first came out: When Pa Kent walks in on Clark and Clark tells him "They all wanted a piece of me, Pa" what is Pa Kent holding?

Edited by James Elliott on 07 December 2010 at 1:40pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

When Pa Kent walks in on Clark and Clark tells him "They all wanted a piece of me, Pa" what is Pa Kent holding?

••

An ax handle.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Ah, but that's where we stumble! What is "classic"?

Superman is from Krypton and was raised on Earth. He can fly, works for a major metropolitan newspaper and saves the day.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

Superman is from Krypton and was raised on Earth. He can fly, works for a major metropolitan newspaper and saves the day.

••

You just described "Superman Returns".

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

Dave Sim's thoughts on Superman are interesting:

http://www.cerebusfangirl.com/artists/nftp/108.php

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4