Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: JB Marvel Head Logos (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 1  

Do most artists prefer to do their own inking?

ªª

It's a mixed bag. Some will only ink themselves, some are content to do pencils only. And some go back and forth (like me!).

Back to Top profile | search

Jon Stafford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 2  

It's a mixed bag. Some will only ink themselves, some are content to do pencils only. And some go back and forth (like me!).

••

For what it's worth (not much!) I prefer when you do your own inking.  Of course I suppose it's twice as much work!

How did they assign the characters for the Marvel Universe?  Did you get to pick?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 3  

I prefer when you do your own inking. Of course I suppose it's twice as much work!

••

Not quite twice. Since early days on FANTASTIC FOUR I have been doing breakdowns, rather than full pencils, for myself to ink. So it's almost the same process, really. PENCILS = layouts, tighten, finish in pencil. INKS = layouts, tighten, finish in ink.

=====

How did they assign the characters for the Marvel Universe? Did you get to pick?

••

Mostly it was "casting" on the basis of who was associated with which characters, at the time. Some, of course, were just for fun -- like getting Curt Swan to pencil Gladiator.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne wrote:
...Some, of course, were just for fun -- like getting Curt Swan to pencil Gladiator..

That was his only Marvel work, wasn't it?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

One of the things that drew me in to comics from an artistic perspective, WAS that combination of pencilling and inking...

My initial exposure to comics, as and 8-10 year old was mom buying a bunch while grocery shopping.... a couple of those were a Star Wars... 3 or 4 and Micronauts 3. From there, I started reading the stories and found X-Men and JB. That led to finding ALL of JB's work, and wondering why it didn't ALL look like X-Men.... and why that ONE glaring issue (#118) looked "wrong" as well... which led to me following JB and Terry... and others who had a style I liked....

funny thing is... I liked both Terry (X-Men) and Joe (Captain America) on JB, but by the time the Marvel Universe books came out Joe's work seemed much more heavy handed to me, and I didn't like it as much... same as Terry's work simplified too.... by the time he inked JB on the Heroes for Hope book, THAT didn't look right either.... JB's skill as a storyteller, penciller and inker had grown in a different direction.... his work looked better when HE inked it.... and I think that continues to this day... there are a few people that do a serviceable job, but JB's storytelling has evolved to the point where he's far and away his best inker.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

by the time he inked JB on the Heroes for Hope book, THAT didn't look right either
++++++++
Hmmm, I tend to disagree. I think John and Terry at that point in their careers reached the best in their collaboration. There has been some simply amazing stuff from them, like The Last Galactus Story, the return of Phoenix in the FF and the 3 Superman issues.
Amazon was the first time I think JB and Terry Austin's styles seemed so far apart. Robin and Orion were other examples and in Doom Patrol they messed a bit better, but not like they used to.
I also think JB is the best inker of his own work these days...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

For what it's worth (not much!) I prefer when you do your own inking.

Me too!

Edited by Robbie Cook on 04 January 2011 at 7:23pm

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 8  

Those Byrne heads look far better (to me) in their original versions.  I don't know if it's Terry or JB inking, but I like it.

I know Joe R has been on this forum and he seems like a nice guy and I have often liked his work, but if he inked the second versions of the heads, I do not like them as much.  Some of them almost look like he was redrawing them from memory or something. 

I also agree that the Sub-Mariner and Firebird look nothing like Byrne drawings.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 9  

Firebird was by Jerry Ordway.

Jon Stafford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 10  

Firebird was by Jerry Ordway.

••

Wasn't it Jerry Ordway who succeeded you on FF?  God, what a jarring transition THAT was!  I hadn't heard that you were leaving, so when that first issue came I had pretty big WTF reaction.  I kept the subscription for a little while hoping that it was just temporary, but no such luck.

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 11  

I can't remember when or from what site I found this image, but here's a b&w of the X-Men corner box heads.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

Not heads, but a great corner box.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version