Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: JB Marvel Head Logos (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

… here's a b&w of the X-Men corner box heads.

••

And a graphic demonstration of why art should rarely be shot UP for reproduction! Most of these heads were drawn a little but larger than a 25¢ piece, and it's really jarring to see how soft and muddy they become when printed larger than that! They were drawn for reduction.

(Drawing for reduction was one of the things I took a long time to learn. At 10x15 inches, the blank page presents an awful lot of white space and, especially without having balloons and captions to take up space, I had a great urge to fill every inch. And some of that space-filling was also the job of the colorist. Trying to back that down a notch or two is one of the factors that contributed to the "open" period of my work, when some pages would look disturbingly like they belonged in coloring books. Happily, that is mostly behind me -- tho it was odd to work on some of the TREK books, where I was deliberately keeping it open for "Desilu color".)

Back to Top profile | search

Jon Stafford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Speaking of "Desilu color," I was just reading the other day that the gold used for command uniforms in TOS was actually chartreuse.  It only looked gold because of the way the fabric reacted to the lighting.  When they showed a dress uniform, which was made of more reflective satin, the color was as intended.  Ditto Kirk's "wraparound" shirt from the later episodes, which was also of a different material.  They "officially" changed the color to gold for the animated series and TNG because by then that's what people had gotten used to.  It's funny now to imagine how it would have looked if the colors had been true to the original intention.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

I've found Rubenstein's inks to have a bit of a moderating effect. I've seen his inks over mediocre pencillers turn out a fairly decent product....but turned top-notch pencillers' work into almost that same level.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 05 January 2011 at 10:44pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 4  

This business of the green tunics appearing gold floors me every time it arises on this forum. There are countless still photos extant from the studios of movie and television stars standing patiently in costume for color tests.

Is it really to be supposed that Star Trek's creators were the only ones in Hollywood who didn't test materials to see how they'd react when photographed? That they somehow didn't know Kirk's tunic was going to be broadcast into living rooms all across America and the world as a heroic gold... That's somehow a wacky accident because they couldn't get the color they really wanted? They really couldn't have gotten pale green, no matter how hard they tried?

We know they did make-up tests for color assurance. There are funny stories about the labs color-correcting them back to flesh-tone, remember? But somehow, the costume department had no idea whatsoever what colors the tunics were going to be until the show hit the air...? Really? It couldn't be that they maybe knew how the material would photograph and went with that on purpose?

Why not give the folks behind the cameras a little credit here? I know it was a long time ago and they weren't as smart as all of us are today, but hey, maybe they might just have known what they were doing... What's say, huh?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 5  

THREAD DRIFT ALERT!

We have a whole Forum Section for discussing this stuff!

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 6  

Ha, ha.  When I read your post, Mr. Byrne, in my head I heard the klaxon when they call for a RED ALERT on the TNG series.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Marvel Head Logos discussion . . .

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 7  

… here's a b&w of the X-Men corner box heads.

••

And a graphic demonstration of why art should rarely be shot UP for reproduction! Most of these heads were drawn a little but larger than a 25¢ piece, and it's really jarring to see how soft and muddy they become when printed larger than that! They were drawn for reduction.

--

Even tho' it may look soft and muddy, I just love that image, at any size!  It's like a warm fuzzy blanket. 

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 8  

Threads like this remind to me how I miss corner boxes. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jon Stafford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 9  

Brian Kelly wrote:
Even tho' it may look soft and muddy, I just love that image, at any size!  It's like a warm fuzzy blanket.

Agreed wholeheartedly.  When I see those images it's like comfort food for my soul.  I'm nine years old again and excitedly scanning the small rack of comics at my small-town drugstore.

Ian Carroll
Byrne Robotics Member
King Of Pain

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Jon, I think you just summed up the appeal of not just the Marvel corner box art, but much of JB's body of work! (Some of it was not intended for nine-year-olds.)

The small-town drugstore is where I got "hooked," too, circa 1981-1984.

Edited to add how jealous I am of the guy who owns JB's original art for the FF corner box!  What a wonderful piece.  (Since I can't have that one, I'd like the John Romita Jr. Spider-Man corner box original art from Amazing #229 or so, please. Very dynamic!)

Edited by Ian Carroll on 07 January 2011 at 9:49pm

Jon Stafford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
The small-town drugstore is where I got "hooked," too, circa 1981-1984.

Hey, that was my era too!  You weren't in Rowley, Massachusetts by any chance were you?  :)

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2011 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

I miss corner boxes too.  Although I preferred the ones with action poses as opposed to "heads" ones.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version