Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 255 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2014 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Doctor Who: 11 Doctors, 11 Stories" 50th Anniversary collection

The BBC got 11 young adult authors to write a short story on The Doctor, each given a different version. Overall, great fun and true to the series.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE ODESSA FILE by Frederick Forsyth. An SS war criminal hiding in 1960s West Germany with a journalist on his trail. Tough to beat the Nazis as the bad guys in either the real world or in fiction.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"The Martian" by Andy Weir

Astronaut, presumed dead, is stranded on Mars, and has to figure out how to survive 2 years until help might be sent, with few supplies and no way to communicate with earth.

Great little hard-sci/fi thriller, full of humor, and very tense right to the end.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A journey back to my teens to revisit Asimov's robot novels, first THE CAVES OF STEEL.

When I read novels, these days, I find myself thinking of how I would adapt them as films. "A book is not a movie" is a mantra in Hollywood, and while true, it is often the excuse for excess and ego. That said, reading CAVES, I was struck by the fact that the entire second chapter is superfluous in terms of telling the story as a movie. Asimov has his lead character, Elijah Baley, take a trip via the "express strips" out to Jersey to pick up his new partner. This gives Asimov the chance to describe the city, the technology, and to allow Baley to muse on history and what got the world to its present situation. But from a storytelling point of view, the chapter is a complete waste of time. For Baley to go all the way to Jersey to "collect" his new partner, rather than just having the partner present when Baley is presented with the case in the first chapter -- well, as I said, it serves a purpose in the book, but in a movie all the points touched upon would be better presented over the course of the film, most importantly in a visual manner.

It seems unlikely THE CAVES OF STEEL would make it to the silver screen, tho, unless it was turned upside down and inside out. Key points have already been done (long after Asimov wrote his book) in movies like A.I., BLADERUNNER and I, ROBOT.*

Too bad. I could see Kevin Spacey as Baley!

* That last was "based on" Asmov, but only accidentally. The screenwriters had assumed Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics were public domain. They're not. When the writers found out they did a quick shuffle, inserting Asimov elements (particularly Susan Calvin), but in the process shredded everything Asimov's robot stories were about!

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2014 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Gil Hodges: The Brooklyn Bums, the Miracle Mets, and the Extraordinary Life of a Baseball Legend" by Tom Clavin and Danny Peary

I didn't know anything about Gil Hodges other than he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the fifties. What a wonderful book!

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Finished Terry Brooks new one The High Druid's Blade. Flew through this one fast, I liked it a lot. Looking forward to his next one.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2014 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Revisiting my favorite H.P. Lovecraft story, "The Shadow Over Innsmouth." 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2014 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just finished a Next Men read-a-thon. 
The Compleat John Byrne's Next Men vol.'s 1 and 2
Scattered  pt.'s 1 and 2
Aftermath
It was a rollercoaster ride and just as fun as one. Bought into the characters completely. Watching their personalities grow, I especially ached for Bethany throughout.
I was late to the game on this, being out of the genre for so long, but thanks for the ride JB. 

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2014 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Finishing "Cell" by Stephen King.  Just got home from Half Price Books with "Dune" (never read it) and a nice old copy of "Tristan and Iseult".  Looking forward to both of them.  For now, I'm inhaling the old book smell.  Aaaaahhh...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2014 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Since a few weeks, I am finally reading the Disc-World series and discovering how I enjoy Terry Pratchett's work. Currently reading "Witches abroad".

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 July 2014 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Good luck getting through DUNE, Ryan. I know there are fans but I couldn't finish ten pages before putting it down on several occasions. 

David Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2014 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Rereading "Band of Brothers".
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 255 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version