Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 10 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers.

According to the back of the book this novel was used as the basis of the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but it bears little resemblance. If you like a good pirate story, this one is really good.

Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 10 2013 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Andrew,

Short History is read by Richard Matthews, and it's quite long. I've been
listening for a while, and I'm only halfway through. I have it on my iPhone,
not on disks.

It's quite good!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 10 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Dark Harvest" by Norman Partridge -  every year a monster rises up from a cornfield and the local teenage boys try to kill it, with the winner being granted a ticket out of that podunk town. But things aren't all they seem either.

Fun story so far, a riff on The Lottery.  I'm a sucker for smalltown horror, especially one set right on Halloween.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 10 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This month, I've been delving back into past history once again with Empires And Barbarians, a rather intensive study of the situations involving the decline of the Roman empire and the origins of our modern European nations by Peter Heather.  As a modern historiography, it goes into detail about current theories on whether or not the primary factors in the 1st millenium CE events were political and economic revolutions, or a mass migration of Germanic and Slavic tribes across the empire's frontiers.

Apparently, there has been a sort of blowback against the migration theory due to its being used by Nazi Germany for propaganda purposes, especially amongst the East European intellectuals and former Soviet Russia, who suffered at the hands of Hitler's armies.  Heather presents this without wholly subscribing to it, citing archaeological evidence which supports the migration theory (while cautioning against using the Roman and German histories which were presented in a purely nationalistic light).  It's a very fascinating subject which I could agree has parallels with our own modern relations between the developed countries and those of the Third World (specifically Africa, South Asia, and Latin America).

I had also read the afterword part of Agenda 21 written by ultra-conservative commentator Glenn Beck, skipping over the main fiction novel written by his "team member" Harriet Parke.  It was a gift from my brother (a Beck listener), so I felt some obligation to at least give it a look.  Needless to say, I kind of feel that Beck is reading too much into the articles referred to in his commentary, although I can agree that there is a point where one has to question the authorities who support some of the projects being proposed.  (For my part, while I'm not keen on figures like George Soros, looking for "codewords" in United Nations documents that might imply turning citizens of the United States into inmates in concentration camps is a bit too extreme.  Beck has made a career out of making men like Soros, Cass Sunstein, and President Obama into boogeymen in his biblical worldview.)

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 10 2013 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

84) "Steampunk!" edited by Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant

Anthology of steampunk stories, seemingly written for this collection: set in a variety of times and places, from ancient Rome to modern New Zealand suburbia, these stories range from Victorian melodrama to adventure and mystical fantasy.

Even tho this is shelved in the Teen area, I thought this might be an interesting delving into this whole genre that I haven't really sampled yet (tho I've read the "original" steam punk stories of Verne and Wells, and Moorcock's Victorian sci-fi books in the 70s). However, almost all of the stories are about teens and from a teenager's perspective; entertaining, but not sure if I can base whether I like the genre on what I've sampled so far. I need to find some denser steampunk to see what I think of it all. Call me "Steampunk Curious."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 10 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just finished reading through The Art of Kuhn by Tom Davis.  Bob Kuhn is not only my favorite animal painter, he's one of my favorite painters.  Somehow I'd missed this book.  If you want to sample his work, a good starting point is Bob Kuhn, Drawing on Instinct, still in print and readily available on Amazon.

Listening my way through the Jack Reacher books, currently Gone Tomorrow, and reading my way through the Bob Lee Swagger books by Stephen Hunter, currently reading Night of Thunder.  

Last comic related material read was DRAW #24, with a great piece by/on Glen Orbik.  Next comic related material I'll likely read will be Fatale Vol. 2.  The 5th and final volume of Secret Agent Corrigan by Williamson and Goodwin arrived the other day, and it's tempting, but I still haven't worked my way through all the preceding volumes.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 11 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

2030 by Albert Brooks.  A surprisingly serious and kind of depressing look at the near-future, particularly if you live in California.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 11 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

85) "Artemis Fowl 5: The Lost Colony" by Eoin Colfer, read by Nathaniel Parker

Artemis Fowl, nearly-teenaged criminal mastermind, gets involved with a group of time-travelling demons and a younger adversary that might be his equal.

Not the best of the series, much time spent on the demons who are not Colfer's best characters. The best part of the whole book was watching the anticipation of my son, who has listened to and read this book repeatedly. He says the next couple get better.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 14 2013 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

86) "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" by Maria Semple*

In a grand comedy, a slightly-mad woman vanishes, leaving her middle school aged daughter to sift thru the various emails, memos, hand-written notes, and other artifacts to find out what happened to her.

Set here in Seattle, there were all sorts of place names and such dropped that made me smile; but when I see that in some novels set in New York or some such, it can seem artificial.
Also, having the first 3/4 of the book told in emails and such was a bit much. Seemed like it was trying to be ever so modern; then, again, I liked it when that device was used in "Dracula", so again I just can't be pleased.
Aside from all of that, extremely funny and insightful, and tho the title character can seem too much above it all she is shown to be just as mad as some of those she scorns. Recommended as more brain candy.

* Geeky moment: when I recognized her last name, and then confirmed, that she is the daughter of Lorenzo Semple Jr, head writer of the Batman TV show of the 60s.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 15 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Iron Man Omnibus by Michelinie,Romita Jr and Layton,i was pleasantly surprised to discover it featured #118 with art by J.B. There are also some J.B. related `extras` at the back of the book,original art pages.This was my favourite run of Iron Man,and i am looking forward to reading it again,despite it`s weight! Also featured is Jarvis` resignation letter and Michelinie`s explanation for his piece in the lettercol apologising for it.If you read Marvel The Untold Story,you`ll know of it.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 15 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

87) "For Your Eyes Only" by Ian Fleming, read by Robert Whitfield

Collection of short stories, and a real mixed bag: foreign intrigue, murder, and fishing. Several were originally stories written for TV by Fleming, which explains why they are generally out of character for Bond and could be filmed with little expense.

A couple of the stories are jam-packed with action; would have been nice if several of the novels could have been written as densely.

Interesting how a couple of the movies have pulled their titles from these short stories, and which have little if nothing to do with these: case in point, "Quantum of Solice" is just a couple of guys sitting around telling a story of an affair.

Edited by Andrew Hess on February 15 2013 at 7:37pm

Don Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 15 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just finished "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. Starting "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy"

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version