Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Big Shocker - 03.12.11 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

With these and the Jurassic Park comic I can't thank you enough. The Big Man looks fantastic. Frederick Foswell has never looked more bad-ass. Electro is very menacing. Filling the page with electricity is one of those touches I would never have thought of.

These minis have brought me back to the 8 year old me who loved reading the monthly adventures of Spider-Man. That feeling is priceless. Thanks, JB.

Back to Top profile | search

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Congratulations, Paul.  I am looking forward to seeing JB draw Mysterio and Kraven for you.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Really like Electro here, especially the fingers on the left hand. There's also something very Ditko-esque in the way you've drawn the electricity in the places it strikes the floor (also very cool how you've delineated a fllor without actually having drawn one).

Electro has a pretty original costume.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"I am looking forward to seeing JB draw Mysterio and Kraven for you"

Bring on the Circus of Crime and the Enforcers!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Electro has a pretty original costume.

••

Funnily enough, Electro's costume has the same basic lines/forms as Spider-Man's! I've sometimes wondered if Ditko did that deliberately.

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm in agreement with all stating that this is the best Electro uniform, and this is an excellent rendition of it.  I need to dig out my back issues to reread the adventure versus The Big Man.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 4:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

You really nailed Electro's mask, JB.  And I like the menacing look on his face.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
<JB> Funnily enough, Electro's costume has the same basic lines/forms as Spider-Man's! I've sometimes wondered if Ditko did that deliberately.

You know, I never noticed that until you pointed it out.

Here, I thought for the longest time Ditko based Electro's costume on this:

In retrospect I realize that it's really only the Electro colour scheme.  Did Ditko have a say in what colours were chosen for hero/villain costumes or was that left u to the colourist?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Did Ditko have a say in what colours were chosen for hero/villain costumes or was that left u to the colourist?

••

In those days, it was kind of hit and miss. Ditko had clear ideas about how he wanted Spider-Man's costume colored, so we can extrapolate this to the other designs, but it need not automatically have been so.

Also, even when the artist DID have an idea as to what the colors should be, it was often ignored or overlooked. As with Kirby supposedly having wanted the X-Men's school uniforms to be black and white, rather than black and yellow, and Cyclops' beam to be blue.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It would never cross my mind that Electro's and Spider-Man's costume share any similarity. I still don't see it. The only thing in common is the V shape on the front/chest. Electro has the V on the back as well, he has the joining lines on the legs and not the arms, he has the mouth exposed, he wears pants...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Funnily enough, Electro's costume has the same basic lines/forms as Spider-Man's!

++

It would never cross my mind that Electro's and Spider-Man's costume share any similarity. I still don't see it. The only thing in common is the V shape on the front/chest. Electro has the V on the back as well, he has the joining lines on the legs and not the arms, he has the mouth exposed, he wears pants...

••

Electro also has lightning bolts sticking out of his gloves and mask, and his boots "connected" to his "pants". Which is why I used the word "basic", rather than saying they look exactly the same.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I just checked JB's Chapter One version of Electro. That costume DOES share a lot with Spider-Man's. The strange -and uncharacteristic for JB's work- thing is that Electro's costume doesn't remain the same throughout. In some instances he has the connecting white lightning between boots and pants, in others he doesn't. I guess JB maust have been thinking about the original version while establishing his own.
I never thought JB capable of such a mistake!!!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version