Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Superman: The American Way No More (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

Comics is now a good name for them because they have all become a joke.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

Jason, I've seen people come in to buy comics based on news reports like that. There's a woman who while she never read comics, decided that the idea of the Superman walks across America story sounded interesting and comes in once a month like clockwork to get that story. We've had folks who hadn't read comics in years come in for the recent FF death issue.

The hard part is getting them to come back after the initial gimmick. I try my best to take advantage of these sorts of things to get people hooked on comics as more than just shocking events, but I have to admit that these things do get people in the door.

Heck, the Action Comics 900 issue is really well done with a bunch of great stories by talented creators. If someone comes in for that political backup story, and then gets hooked into the larger Lex vs Superman main story, there's a chance they'll come back for more. Paul Cornell's run has been quite entertaining, and fun.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

In a future issue Superman will decide to become a squid so he can be closer to Aquaman. (who was a squid himself for a while)

Batman will train a kangaroo to fight crime and ride him around because it's greener than the Batmobile. But then that Kangaroo will betray him and end up in Kagaroo prison and Nightwing will say "I told you that Kangaroo was no good Batman" and then Batman and Nightwing will realize that they don't really know who is wearing what costume now and become very confused. 

Swamp Thing will rise out of the swamp again, and get organic webshooters and join the Justice Society of America and bicker with the original Flash a lot.

Wonder Woman will find out that the "magical clay" she's made out of is actually a colony of nanomachines developed by the Olympians on their original homeworld before they moved to Earth and entered human myth by pretending to be gods. 

Harbinger will rise out of the swamp again, and get organic webshooters and join the Justice Society of America and bicker with the original Flash a lot.

Monarch will come back and try to conquer the multiverse and when they open his helmet he will be Kamamdi this time. Then it will be revealed that Monarch is an artificial personality transfered via post hypnotic suggestion designed to ruin Ditko and Kirby characters as much as possible. It will be subtly hinted that the Creeper is starting to think disturbingly Monarch-like thoughts about revenge and bringing order to the multiverse. Batman will eventually be blamed for inventing the Monarch but will offer in his defense that he was probably accidently brainwashed into it by Zatanna. Batman will be offered sincere condolences about having his kangaroo betray him, and then everyone will wonder which Batman it was they were just talking to.

Hawkman will be arrested for pooping on cars but it will turn out that Golden Eagle framed him. 

The price of peanuts and bananas will go up in the DC universe making appearances of those commodities much rarer in upcoming issues. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 28 April 2011 at 12:57pm

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

Truth, Justice and...well, just truth and justice.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

So, Superman will turn his back on the country that gave him a home since the day he landed here, to become a globe-hugger?  Thanks for helping me save some money, DC; maybe I'll spend it on a Showcase...
Back to Top profile | search

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

Kangaroo will betray him and end up in Kagaroo prison
++++++++++

Will he get a fair trial or a kangaroo court?

Emery, thanks for coming back!!!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

It is a story that effectually removes Superman from politics. his isn't the simpler times of past. There is hardly anything media related where we don't have an issue force fed to us, or more accurtely where something media related isn't turned into a political issue.

-----

In your rush to be contrary, you are wrong yet again. Superman caused an international incident by showing solidarity with the Iranian protestors. How is that NOT political? The whole point of the story is not that Superman is removing himself from politics, it's that he is taking steps to disassociate himself from the US, so that any actions he takes that are perceived as political will not be taken as representative of US policy.

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

no more American citizenship for Superman?  sounds like they are trying to make him exactly like Grant Morrison's Superman from All-Star Superman.

IMO, sounds like they want him to be Superman "The God"

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

Superman, American citizen? Like he paid taxes, had an SS# and registered for the vote?

Unless Clark Kent is renouncing his citizenship, this doesn't even make a lick of sense.

Since a few years after JB left, writers seem to have regularly worried about how to bring Superman "down to earth," make him "relatable" and less of a
"big blue boyscout". Founded, as they are, on misunderstandings of the character, these ideas always fail and a new one is brought in. This just sounds
like the latest example of a long, stupid trend.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 28 April 2011 at 2:54pm

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

What's even sadder is that it doesn't work.

Superman needs to go before the UN and say: "I am Superman and I'm Clark Kent. In both capacities I am an American citizen. In both capacities I renounce my citizenship and ask you to embrace me as a citizen of the world."

If he doesn't do that, then he's a hypocrite. Because he'd be pretending to have renounced his US citizenship while as Clark Kent he'd still be a Us Citizen.  

And Clark Kent renouncing his citizenship out of nowhere would most likely be noticed. A high profile journalist renouncing his citizenship? Are you telling me that's not news? Especially when he can't give a reason for it.

Why not just say: "Like Sean Penn, my actions are my own and does not reflect US government policy." Because it's not his citizenship that makes it an issue, it's his collaboration with US law enforcement and the US military.

Is Goyer going to have Superman decline to prevent regular crime because it might make people believe that he worked as an agent of the US government?

Or: "Sorry, Elementary School Children, I cannot save you from this horrible fire because collaborating with the Fire Department, a part of the US government structure, might lead people to believe that actions I take abroad are sanctioned by the US Government. I hope you feel that your agonizing deaths in a fire that I could easily save you from, are worth it when you see that it does absolutely nothing to prevent the Iranian government from portraying me as a US government stooge."

Or something to that effect.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

Didn't DC declare at least once that Superman had been granted citizenship in every member of the United Nations?  He was already a Citizen of the World; you can't get more global than that.

This is yet another tale of sound and fury, hopefully signifying nothing.  This should be Superman's "Mopee" story.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2011 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

This is the stuff that just keeps me away. Thank goodness for reprints. These people just don't get it. I'm trying to not use a bunch of swear words to say how I really feel. Okay, I'm stepping away.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version