Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: $448,125 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 May 2011 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

There is no way any page from DKR goes for $1000. 3K minimum. As I stated before. DKR, Watchmen and Killing Joke are the real high end in the art collecting community. Those three books are the ones that "make" someones collection. It has become a status things. Unless those books fall out of favor, pages from those series will keep rising. They may not hit 448K again. However, pages that normally would have run 3K will probably double very soon.

Back to Top profile | search

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2011 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

@ Paul
Not my "Status" symbol and doesn't "Make" my collection. DKR and
Watchmen were great but I'm not interested in acquiring pages from
them. To each his own. Stuff that I collect probably wouldn't turn any
heads but....oh well.

I still think it's over valued.

Edited by Chris Cottrill on 06 May 2011 at 11:48pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 May 2011 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm not saying they are "your" anything. I'm not attacking your collection or taste. I'm not even saying I agree with these three as being the holy trinity within art collecting. I am saying that I am cognizant of the fact that they are. Period. You can claim that $1000 should be the ceiling. I am just pointing out the reality. $1000 won't get you any Frank Miller page let alone a DKR page! The ceiling is what people are willing to pay. Which in this case is 448K. If that isn't proof that at least DKR is one of the most in demand titles within art circles I don't know how else to convince you.

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2011 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

Sorry Paul I just have a strong opinion about blatant stupidity such
as this. Frank Miller is wonderful but this is just wrong.
OMG 3k for a page!!! Glad I never looked for this stuff.

Fyi if somethings "popular" I tend to head in the other direction.

Edited by Chris Cottrill on 06 May 2011 at 11:47pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Frank Stone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 5  

On the episode of Pawn Stars I saw tonight, a dude walked into the shop with an original Todd McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man page.

He wanted twenty thousand dollars for it.

He did not get it.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged | 6  

Quiz time!

Guess the asking price (Oil on canvas, 22x28):

Hint: The Miller page is a little more than 1/3rd of 1% of this piece.

It's a cliche, but something is worth whatever at least one person is willing to pay for it. When that something is a unique item...

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 7  

If anything, this type of sale shows the wisdom of "holding back" the best pages from the market if one has a real hit comic. And it also shows that it pays to have the art sold by an intermediary.

I don't know who the owner of the piece is, but if Miller or Janson had come out to sell this themselves, they'd have gotten grief over every penny over 1000 dollars they asked for or  received. Imagine the internet backlash against Miller if he had received half a million for that page?

Too many "art traders" think they should be able to get artwork for next to nothing and flip it for "half a million" (Ok, maybe 10-100 dollars profit).

And too many "art traders" get pissed at artists for getting as much as possible for their art. Yet they expext to turn a healthy profit themselves.

It amazes me that the further away from the artist an artwork gets, the more people are willing to pay for it.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2011 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 8  

A horse's ass and his sanity are soon parted?

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2011 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 9  

Wow--I know the page but when I clicked the link I was completely underwhelmed by it.  I'm guessing some actor with a lousy career going right now threw down on that piece--just a guess.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm somewhat surprised at how many people are reacting negatively to this. It sold at a price someone was willing to pay, that's all. And not just randomly pay, but outbid other people who wanted the same piece. It's an amount my own meager income might take a decade or two to generate, but obviously this wasn't a problem for the bidders.

Even on this very site, JB has some regular patrons who have much more money to spend on commissioning his original art than I do. It amazes me a bit, produces some jealousy, sure, but I don't think they're being foolish! Quite the opposite. They've got a decent bit of money and they're using it toward something that's meaningful to them.

If you can afford it, why not?

And it's a beautiful piece. Love the use of white space, and how the city below makes it look like these non-powered characters are actually FLYING.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 May 2011 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 11  

Even on this very site, JB has some regular patrons who have much more money to spend on commissioning his original art than I do. It amazes me a bit, produces some jealousy, sure, but I don't think they're being foolish! Quite the opposite. They've got a decent bit of money and they're using it toward something that's meaningful to them.

••

There is no point of comparison between a commission piece and a page of pre-existing art. Too many factors pay into the prices of the existing pieces, factors which can change at a moment's notice, as artists shift in popularity. Commission pieces are also a small enough part of the market as a whole that their prices are not likely to have any effect upon that market. That's not the case for pre-existing original art.

++++

If you can afford it, why not?

••

Exaggerated prices at one end of the spectrum can "trickle down" and end up destroying an entire hobby. Look what happened to comics. An issue of ACTION COMICS sold at auction, more than thirty years ago, for an inflated price which, largely due to misreporting and misunderstanding of the market, became effectively the "gold standard", and soon inflated prices were appearing on more and more comics, until even RECENT product was being jacked up in price.

So far, we have seen only a distant rumbling of this kind of madness in the original art market -- Jim Lee's first issue of X-MEN selling at auction for $40,000, an absurd price, was among the first -- but now we see this. Someone asking $20,000 for a McFarlane SPIDER-MAN page? I've even seen some pretty insane price tags on my own work.

It might be easy enough to dismiss this as just being what the buyer can "afford" -- but that PAWN STARS incident illustrates that it soon becomes what the seller is asking. Selling price and asking price are two very different things, but if too many sellers start asking prices only the megarich can afford, the hobby withers and dies.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2011 at 4:58am | IP Logged | 12  

"On the episode of Pawn Stars I saw tonight, a dude walked into the shop with an original Todd McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man page.

He wanted twenty thousand dollars for it.

He did not get it."

Did they try to make him an offer for it?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version