Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: At Home with Hank Azaria (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 1  

Yes, my own house is full of toys, but "kid friendly" is the last term I would use to describe it! "Look with your eyes, not with your fingers" is an oft repeated phrase around Byrne Central.
that's the phrase i have to use around my apartment JB when it comes to my nieces and especially my 5 year old nephew who has a hard time excepting that all my figurines and props are not to play with. even had to chastise a few times for  being caught opening my display cases or climbing to try to reach selves that were too high for him and to try to play with some of my things when i told him not too.

Edited by John C. Harrison on 18 July 2011 at 8:58am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 2  

My friend's daughter has long coveted my collection of Wonder Woman figures.  Whenever she would visit, I would have to remind her "Only for looking ..."

For Christmas when she was about 5, I bought her a Wonder Woman Barbie.  Her face lit up in a huge smile, that instantly faded.  I heard her sigh under her breath, "oh, only for looking ..."

I was pleased she learned her lesson so well, and she was thrilled when I told her this one she could play with.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 3  

Returning to the Chief's delight in having his work looked at by someone he admires ...

I once wrote an article on "Computing and Science Fiction" which was published in the British Computer Society's "Computer Bulletin". I referenced David Gerrold's "When Harlie was One". Gerrold is a writer I respect and admire, and I have read and own many of his books.

Imagine my reaction when I got an email from one of his fans (who maintained a correspondance with Gerrold) telling me she had sent him a copy of the article.

WOW! I was blown away! To think that David Gerrold was reading my words for a change!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 4  

Yes, my own house is full of toys, but "kid friendly" is the last term I would use to describe it! "Look with your eyes, not with your fingers" is an oft repeated phrase around Byrne Central.

++

that's the phrase i have to use around my apartment JB when it comes to my nieces and especially my 5 year old nephew who has a hard time excepting that all my figurines and props are not to play with. even had to chastise a few times for being caught opening my display cases or climbing to try to reach selves that were too high for him and to try to play with some of my things when i told him not too.

••

Easily the most mind-boggiling example of this happened some 25 years ago, at one of my Summer Parties in the old house. In fact, it may have been the first of those.

Anyway, drifting around the house to keep up with various guests, I found Mark Gruenwald with his daughter and then-wife in my Studio. The daughter, who was around 2 years old, was sitting on the floor, playing with one of my action figures -- one which had been on the mantle piece of the fireplace, far out of her reach. Mark immediately informed me that she wanted something to play with, so he had given her the Aquaman figure from the Super Powers collection, because (his exact words) "Aquaman doesn't matter."

This put me in the doubly uncomfortable position of having to tell someone I considered a good friend that it was not HIS choice to make about what did or didn't "matter" in MY house, AND having to take a toy away from a child.

Still pisses me off. If Mark had said something like "Sorry, I didn't think you'd mind. . . " it might have been different. But that whole dismissive attitude -- especially knowing he would have blown a gasket had our situation been reversed -- really pushed all the wrong buttons in my head.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 5  

It's awesome finding out that favorite artists are fans of comic books. And if they like JB, then it shows they have taste as well!

••

I would not necessarily make either of those conclusions based on the evidence to hand. Azaria may be a comic fan, or those signs may simply be decorative elements. Heck, since most stars use interior decorators, he may not even have picked 'em himself!

Scott Silverstein
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 6  

and I always thought it was a cool scene on TV when that crazy dude from the A-Team was reading Mr. Byrne's Fantastic Four on a plane or helicopter...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 7  

Something I've noticed recently, when I see a comic book being read on a TV show, or in a movie, is that the "airbrushed" coloring and the bright, shiny paper often makes it almost impossible to identify WHICH comic it is.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 8  

That's so neat! I've been a fan of Azaria's for years (and my wife is fond of saying "I wear shoes, I fall down!") and have thought that he's been criminally under-used.

Back when they were talking about adapting "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" into a movie, I thought that Azaria would have been well cast as Josef Kavalier (although he was probably a little to old) (oh, and I thought David Krumholtz should have been Sammy Clay).

Jamie Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

Something I've noticed recently, when I see a comic book being read on a TV show, or in a movie, is that the "airbrushed" coloring and the bright, shiny paper often makes it almost impossible to identify WHICH comic it is.

There have been several times when I've tried to list all the comic books I've seen on Tv and films....anyone want to join in?

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

That might get a little difficult Jamie...

Jamie Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

Touche, William!  I hadn't thought of that...

I meant, for instance, when Robbie is reading Captain America 259 in bed in Poltergeist....

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

I know, I was being a wise guy.

A few years ago someone posted a screen shot of Murdock from the A-Team reading a copy of the Fantastic Four. (JB's)

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version