Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Grant Morrison on The Death of Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

I find it ironic that the same EIC that cancelled THY gave X-MEN FOREVER the green light just a few years later.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

I find it ironic that the same EIC that cancelled THY gave X-MEN FOREVER the green light just a few years later.

That's not ironic. What's ironic is that Quesada canceled XM:THY and a few years later gave X-Men:First Class the green light. XM:FC was basically the same kind of series as XM:THY, but set even further back in the X-Men's early years. It has been SOP for Quesada to criticize 90's era Marvel or cancel books/fire creators from the previous EIC regime, only to rehash those same ideas from that era and then take credit for it. Heck, he even did this at last weekend's Disney Expo.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 25 August 2011 at 6:43pm

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

I re-read the entire run of XHY this summer and felt a bit of sadness during it because I know that the chances of Marvel ever publishing a fun comic like that again is practically nil. I cut my teeth on late 70's early 80's Marvel and the thrill with most of their line is gone for me nowadays.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

That's not ironic. What's ironic is that Quesada canceled XM:THY and a few years later gave X-Men:First Class the green light. XM:FC was basically the same kind of series as XM:THY, but set even further back in the X-Men's early years. It has been SOP for Quesada to criticize 90's era Marvel or cancel books/fire creators from the previous EIC regime, only to rehash those same ideas from that era and then take credit for it. Heck, he even did this at last weekend's Disney Expo.

-------

That's true. First Class is probably a better analogy. They're both "extra" X-books though. Now how many X-Men books do we have? Try explaining to somebody that there's Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, and X-Men Legacy and that X-Men Legacy is really X-Men.

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

About time someone in the industry called Alan Moore on his rape obsession.

But...but...it's Alan Moore...he's ALAN MOORE!

I know what you mean. Are editors really that afraid of stepping on this guys toes? It feels like to me, that his latest LOEG plots are just a way to break up the sex scenes. If it's not rape, it's some over the top sex scene that has nothing to do with anything.

Charles Tyus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

His (Morrison) answer to the first question makes me say, why the @#$% does this guy get to write super-hero comics?

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

"The writing now is better than it ever has been"

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

And neither is the art.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

It really doesn't matter who is doing the work, or if the work is being
produced on schedule, if the only access to the product is thru out of
the way specialty shops, of which there may be as few as one in a
given municipality.

====

In some, not at all JB. I'm working in Elkins, WV. The nearest comic
shop is over an hour away.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

I liked Grant's JLA and that's it. Today he is just another reason I
don't buy as many new comics as I used to buy.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

You know what I really miss? The days when I didn't HAVE TO pay attention to who was writing a particular character. I often did know who it was and I followed some favorite writers, but I could be reasonably sure that whether it was a favorite of mine or a mediocre writer, Spider-Man would act like Spider-Man, Batman would be Batman, and I'd at least get a story out of it. Back then I would check the writer to seek out the best stories. Now I have to check in order to avoid the worst stories. That's backwards, very backwards.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 11  

Very true, Aaron. I started reading the different issues because I became interested in the characters. After awhile, I'd try to find other comics that certain writers and artists may also be working on; but bottom line, I was interested in the further adventures of the particular character(s).

Nowadays there are a few writers and artists whose work I enjoy and will take a chance on a new project of theirs based on enjoying earlier work. However, there are too many instances of which I won't pick up a comic (even if I really enjoy the characters) based on who is working on it - been burned too many times and I'm not going to waste $3 or $4 on the slim chance they actually might not screw up.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2011 at 3:56am | IP Logged | 12  

To me most super hero comics today seem to be gruesome, bitter, angry horny, tacky, muddled , stretched, over-complicated, weirdly static, flat, over-photoshopped, gradient covered, flailing shit trying desperately to hang on to the old days while pissing all over them at the same time. 

Wonder Dog ate Marvin and put Wendy in a coma. That is the spirit of today's comics. It's psycho Mary Marvel with a reverse Mohawk talking S&M nonsense. It's Speedy swinging a dead cat while foaming at the mouth because he went back to the horse and gave Cheshire a rough goodbye screw. It's the Lizard eating his son. 

Edited by Emery Calame on 26 August 2011 at 4:00am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version