Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Grant Morrison on The Death of Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

"XHY was in fact selling better than quite a few titles which were NOT canceled."

---

I will keep beating this dead horse because it's always worth repeating - 6 weeks before the cancellation announcement, a worried fan posed a question on an old AOL board about a rumor concerning its cancellation, to which Quesada replied "X-Men: The Hidden Years is in no danger of cancellation, as it is a healthy title".

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

When you take into account the readily available reprints of all the greatest comics ever produced along with the high production values of today's comics, there's a LOT of great material to be found every time you visit your local comics shop.  While I wouldn't put any single title today up against Jack Kirby's best works, I'd bet that today's 20 best titles are on par with the 20 best that you could buy in 2001, 1991, 1981, 1971...heck, maybe all the way back to 1941. 

I think Morrison's spot-on with his assessment that getting people to pay for entertainment is incredibly difficult today, and that's across the board in all industries.  Sales are down, and with the sheer volume of legal (and illegal) ways to get your entertainment online, getting people to actually plunk down cash for anything is getting harder and harder.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

Maybe fewer and fewer people want to pay more money for late comics. 

As for comics being better today than ever, no comment.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

Sales are down, and with the sheer volume of legal (and illegal) ways to get your entertainment online, getting people to actually plunk down cash for anything is getting harder and harder

Think it depends on the medium.  Despite bootleg copies and illegal online downloads being available, movies are still a booming business.  Films today can bring in over a billion dollars when you factor in legal box office and DVD sales.  Even with factoring in inflation, surely that's comparable to, or even better than they've done in eras past. 

But Hollywood has found a way to expand their audiences.  The comics industry has done its damndest to do the exact opposite. 

As for Morrison, he forgot the major difference between his Superman and Mr. Byrne's.  The second one actually had Superman in it.   

Edited by Mike Benson on 25 August 2011 at 3:34pm

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

"So far so good..." Never heard that joke before. That really made me laugh out loud. Thanks.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

Think it depends on the medium.  Despite bootleg copies and illegal online downloads being available, movies are still a booming business.  Films today can bring in over a billion dollars when you factor in legal box office and DVD sales.  Even with factoring in inflation, surely that's comparable to, or even better than they've done in eras past. 

But Hollywood has found a way to expand their audiences.  The comics industry has done its damndest to do the exact opposite. 

I'm pretty sure the movie business is down (I'm not 100% positive though). Movie studios are scrambling to adopt 3d because they can double the ticket price. That's why Avatar did such a huge gross.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Most of the top movies adjusted for inflation are old ones. The only new one up there is Avatar which as stated earlier was double the price of a regular ticket.

Dan James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

Is 3-D to movies what chromium covers were to comics?

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Grant Morrison makes valid points about the industry, but the interview falls flat because he doesn't express an culpability for "the way things are."

I gotta say, I just skimmed the interview ... but here's what landed with me:

"I'm not using the costumes, just jeans and t-shirt, a Bruce Springsteen Superman" and "There's a real feeling of things just going off the rails, to be honest. Superhero comics."

Admittedly, both are out of context ... but I had to wonder if Morrison saw any connection at all.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

Maybe fewer and fewer people want to pay more money for late comics.

Is this even an issue?  DC's shuffling around creative teams to make sure that every one of the New 52 ships on time every month, and Marvel's got fewer and fewer offenders on the late list, too.  The number of people dropping books because of lateness is fairly negligible, as far as month-to-month sales records seem to indicate. 

Getting retailers to even take a shot on a book in the first place is an issue.  Getting people to visit comic shops is an issue.  Getting people to decide that it's worth their $3 or $4 to try a single issue of a comic is an issue.  Finding out that one X-Men book isn't in this week's shipment and that you've only got about eight other on-time Wolverine books this week to choose from?  That's probably not high on anyone's priority list.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

"XHY was in fact selling better than quite a few titles which were NOT canceled."

---

I will keep beating this dead horse because it's always worth repeating - 6 weeks before the cancellation announcement, a worried fan posed a question on an old AOL board about a rumor concerning its cancellation, to which Quesada replied "X-Men: The Hidden Years is in no danger of cancellation, as it is a healthy title".

••

He gave me that assurance in person.

Dan James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

XHY for me as a reader is probably my biggest "what could have been" series... and that is just as a fan/reader.

As the creator, it has to be maddening for JB to think about.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

XHY for me as a reader is probably my biggest "what could have been" series... and that is just as a fan/reader.

As the creator, it has to be maddening for JB to think about.

••

Old timers 'round these parts have doubtless noticed this has been a hard -- read, impossible -- one for me to let got of.

Perhaps if the book had been cancelled for some real, recognizable reason, it would have been easier. But to have it shot down amidst a blizzard of lies -- that was too much.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version