Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Grant Morrison on The Death of Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 1  

Looking at that chart, it is also interesting to note that the sales during most of the Joe Quesada reign was less than that during the collapse in sales after the early 90's speculator boom, yet he is credited with being a success as editor-in-chief.

--

SO much this.

Once the internet became more commonplace and fandom flocked around CBR and Newsarama and such, I noticed pretty early on into Quesada's regime that buzzwords and slogans were being hammered into the heads of fanboys reading creator interviews and press releases. Stuff like:

"We're in a new renaissance of comics"
"To tell a good story"
"The writing now is better than it ever has been"
"Deep characterization"

The Millar/Quesada/Bendis/Morrison/JMS era of comics "saved" comics ONLY for the die-hards and fan-men. Their buzzword tactics and tightly wound geek-media-blitz convinced those fans that they are not only saving comics, but doing so in some high-art fashion.

It's so elusive to those fans too, because I've asked an awful lot of them, once repeating buzz-phrases, HOW it's better, or HOW it's being saved, and they can't do anything but repeat over and over.

Some might view this as a smart move on the industry's part for having zoned in on what little audience was left and grabbing them in a vice before the ship sank, but those who know comic books and keep a distance from the hype-machine know that it's clearly desperation.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 2  

Looking at that chart, it is also interesting to note that the sales during most of the Joe Quesada reign was less than that during the collapse in sales after the early 90's speculator boom, yet he is credited with being a success as editor-in-chief.

••

This goes again to something I have pointed out about one of the reasons Marvel claimed for the cancelation of X-MEN - THE HIDDEN YEARS, namely that it was the "worst selling X-Book ever!" Which it was, if the sales were taken in isolation, and not compared to the rest of the line. If that was done, we quickly discovered that ALL the X-Books were pulling in the lowest sales they'd seen in a long time, and, altho it was at the bottom of that particular group, XHY was in fact selling better than quite a few titles which were NOT canceled.

The worst part of that chart, tho, is those meaningless spikes, steadily increasing in number as we march thru the 1980s, and Marvel begins to pander more and more to the most mindless segment of the marketplace. The unthinking speculators, who have not a clue about what it is that really makes a comicbook "valuable" in a monetary sense. Things like scarcity and historical significance, neither of which apply in any real sense to any of those spikes.

Most "amusing" in the article linked by Kevin, tho, is the statement by Tom Breevort that the coming of the Direct Sales Market in the 1980s was seen by most people as a sign that the industry did have a future after all.

Well, yes. If by "future" we are talking about something akin to the man who fell from the top of the Empire State Building, and as he passed each floor was heard to say "So far so good… so far so good…"

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 3  

Loved some of his stuff - Zenith, in particular, but also Animal Man, We3, and All-Star Superman. 
Didn't like Final Crisis, or The Filth.
Didn't have a clue what the heck Sea Guy was about!

My theory about some of his recent stuff is, in the same way a lot of artists try to imitate Kirby's drawing style, he's trying to imitate Kirby's prose style.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 4  

Who gave Quesada that credit???  There was nothing spectacular about his reign.  I do know there were anger over "The Sins Of The Past" storyline from fans.  He probably getting credit for sales other than comics. 

Another reason for the decline could be the talent has become more important than the characters in the comic book industry.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 5  

That chart looks like an earthquake started to happen around 1985 or so

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 6  

Some might view this as a smart move on the industry's part for having zoned in on what little audience was left and grabbing them in a vice before the ship sank, but those who know comic books and keep a distance from the hype-machine know that it's clearly desperation.

••

And, even worse, that "zoning in", by creating barriers not only to new readers by also to long-time readers, who were driven away by costly "events" and such stunts -- well, that kind of "zoning in" actually served to REDUCE the already shrunken numbers.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 7  

I think the talent could help a great deal to the industry if they could some how keep deadlines and remain on a title for about five years, but these guys like Jim Lee can't sustain motivation for six months.  Why should fans or readers feel any different?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 8  

It really doesn't matter who is doing the work, or if the work is being produced on schedule, if the only access to the product is thru out of the way specialty shops, of which there may be as few as one in a given municipality.

For the past 30 years or so, every downward turn in sales has been directly traceable to the degree to which the product has been rendered inaccessible, not just from a standpoint of readability, but from a standpoint of actual physical access.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm a fan of Morrison's and don't consider him a snob at all, nor do I
find his work confusing. His new book Supergods makes many of the
same points that I see people on this board make.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dan James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

According the that Fantastic Four sales shart, the two FF runs with the most consistent sales on an ongoing basis is the Lee/Kirby run and JB's run.

At least there are some things that still make sense in this world.

Dan James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

Grant Morrison makes valid points about the industry, but the interview falls flat because he doesn't express an culpability for "the way things are."

At least, that's the way it felt to me when I read through it.

Dan James
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

For example, after stating that comics are in a death spiral and that DC's gamble is unlikely to work (which is a very stark thing for the "prized employee" of the company in question to say), he follows up with:

"With comics, the quality now is better than it's ever been, there are more people now who are really good at what they do, doing what they do. Everything's available for free, I think that's the real problem, nobody wants to buy it anymore."

It's not the creators, he says, the current creators are the best of all time. It's the readers, who want everything for free.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version