Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: ROM (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

I picked up the first issue, then didn't see another until he fought the air force (8 I think).  Then bought them up to #50 or so, missing a few.  I wished they had kept him grey as in the first issue.

Hated the killing of all the supporting characters.  Mantlo had a tendency to do that, as if he was getting rid of people he had no more stories for.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

And hey, since ROM originally started out as a toy, feast your eyes on the real deal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFvrEQKdjw

They certainly don't make ads for kids toys like this anymore!

And here's a shorter, more conventional approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILIaPluH4pc

Edited by Shaun Barry on 08 March 2012 at 10:21pm
Back to Top profile | search

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

I really liked ROM.  I wanted the series to be better than it was--but that didn't stop me from buying it.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

ROM:  As a kid, it was the toy I most wanted but never got.  I would still like to find one in working condition.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

ROM was always a favorite, as the kid the Dire Wraiths were always pretty imposing and ROM just had a nobility to him.

The one thing I didn't like was when they killed off the Torpedo (Brock Jones).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

Robert: The one thing I didn't like was when they killed off the Torpedo (Brock Jones).

---

I remember it giving the book an "anything can happen" feel. That's a wild feeling... you never know what's going to happen...

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 7  

I loved and still love ROM. In the UK he started in a comic called 'Forces in Combat' which was one strange mix of reprints - Nick Fury and his Howling Commandoes side by side with ROM and others. Basically, if there was a combat premis to the original comic, it went in that reprint.

The comic got cancelled when ROM was at issue 11 I think - basically ended on a cliff hanger. I then went and started to buy the American comics so I could continue to read the story. Along with the X-Men, ROM was one of the main reasons I started to actively hunt down American comics as opposed to waiting for UK Marvel to reprint them (I literally couldn't wait for X-Men 137 so went and found it in a regular newsagents for 15 pence - over a year after it had been published!).

I do think the comic was stronger at the start, before it became Marvel Team up part 2, and Sal's art was astonishing. Akin and Garvey brought something new to the art in the second phase but Sal's draftmanship seemed lost. They certainly could do metal though.

Gerry Talaoc (Mis-spell?) was a disaster for ROM but I thought worked well over his pencils on Hulk.

And I had the toy, which in the UK was marketed alongside Action Man's Spacesuit. Was he marketed alongside G I Joe in America?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 8  

Funny thing, I'm currently buying back issues. I've bought the end of the series (Ditko's run) because I never read the end of the saga back in the 80's. I'm not sure the French edition reached the end anyway. ROM was a pretty popular and different character. it made a nice change of tone while reading other superhero stories in the same books. 

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged | 9  

This one had 4 stories IRON MAN# 152, AMAZING S-M #201,DAREDEVIL #159 and ROM #26. Yeah the time span for these series collected in just one issue of Strange was 1979-80-81. So you see how things started to go real bad for LUG editions when Marvel started cross-overing everything with everything else. The problem became particularly apparent with STORM's different hairstyles.

Well, this one is for you William :

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 10  

Another coincidence, while researching a cover to post on the great resource comics vf, I noticed LUG stopped publishing ROM at # 46 as it was replaced with ALPHA FLIGHT # 1 in the next Strange issue !!

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 11  

Me & (especially) my little brother appreciated greatly Rom. Alas, like says Phil, when it darkened, France censorship led to cancellation...and french never read the end.

I managed to get it a few years ago and was disapointed...the serie definitily took a horror trend after 40 something great Sal Buscema issues...

Special memories with spaceknights short stories...

And of course, we never ever saw any toy in France...didn't even know it was a toy at first ! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 12  

These are my recollections of ROM.  I first became aware of the character through the toy advertisements, and a childhood friend from the neighborhood who owned the toys.  Later came the comicbook written by Bill Mantlo and drawn by Sal Buscema (the first instance of Sal inking his own work).

What drew me to the comic were the issues where the Spaceknight was teamed up with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (Mystique's version) of all guest-stars.  That was where I got hooked on Sal's art.  I stuck with the series until well into the 20s, when the inker team of Adkins & Garvey joined the creative team.  Mantlo seemed to be trying for an angle where Rom's homeworld of Galador was caught up in some sort of intrigue, and there was a change in the nature of the Dire Wraiths that tied them in with the Skrulls, of all beings.

Other than that, those were some of the best comics I could recall reading.  Mantlo and Buscema were able to keep me hooked on a character that I would've otherwise seen as an attempt to cash in on a toy license.  Marvel in those days did some pretty neat stuff with their licensed properties (they had the original Star Wars adaptations, and ongoing comics which included Walt Simonson amongst the creative lineups).

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version