Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: ROM (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 1  

I really liked ROM.  And the in-house ad was great.  The HYBRID story arch was very scary; I thought a horror movie could have been made on that storyline.  It's a shame that Marvel lost the right to the character.  Although by now I'm sure the charcter would be so edgy and gritty that he would be unrecognizable...and probably female.
Back to Top profile | search

Dennis Maloney
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 2  

I loved ROM, in fact I still have the whole run in a long box in my basement.  I'm tempted to look for it and read them again.  I know the chances are slim to none but I'd love to see them reprinted.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 3  

I was on board with ROM from issue 1.  The toy looked great, but I could never afford it when I was a kid.  It was really expensive for a 12 year old in '79.  So I settled for the comic.  Bought every issue and enjoyed them to varying degrees.  Some great.  Some not so great.  I always loved Akin and Garvey's inks on ROM and to this day I wonder why they were never used all that much after they left the title. 

In any event, too bad Marvel doesn't have the license any more although, truth be told the way current Marvel is, it's probably for the better. 

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 4  

Rom was one of those series that while I didn't get it regularly or felt compelled to track down every issue, if looking for a fun comic to read, it was always worth checking out. Especially for the different guest-stars that would wander through.

Regarding the death of the Torpedo: I always wondered if this was editorially driven or if something happened with Mantlo around this time but on both Rom and Micronauts, he suddenly killed off several supporting characters of both books. At a time when death was kind of rare, it was a shock and strange to see it happen at the same time in two books by the same writer.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 5  

I bought a lot of the Rom line when it came out but a few years ago a friend of mine ran across a box of comics at an estate sale and picked them up for me (Which was very nice of him).  Almost the entire run of Rom was in there, plus almost all the Miller DD issues and a lot of other goodies.  When I was bagging everything I re-read a lot of the Rom issues and was surprised at how good they were.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 6  

Wasn't Rom and Bug and a few others in a Marvel title a couple of years back? Maybe they simply called Rom, "Spaceknight"?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 7  

No ROM and not his spaceknight armor at all, but there was a limited series written by Jim Starlin called SPACEKNIGHTS. Link  Looks like they also appeared in ANNIHILATION. 

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 8  

I think he appeared or was referenced in UNIVERSE X as "The Spaceknight"

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2012 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 9  

@ Ed Love:

Regarding the death of the Torpedo: I always wondered if this was editorially driven or if something happened with Mantlo around this time but on both Rom and Micronauts, he suddenly killed off several supporting characters of both books. At a time when death was kind of rare, it was a shock and strange to see it happen at the same time in two books by the same writer.

I recall this was when they introduced what I'd call the "snail-monster" Dire Wraiths.  All of a sudden, they went from having nebulous beings who could get zapped into the Neutral Zone by Rom's neutralizer gun to these predatory thingies that resembled turtles who sucked peoples' brains and blood out as it they were mosquitos.  I guess they felt the "cloud-puff" villains just didn't look dangerous enough.

Maybe I should've seen this as the beginnings of that "Dark & Gritty" that was going to permeate comics, but they did state that Earth was fighting a war against the Wraiths (albeit only in the background, and in pages of Marvel's ROM comic).

Patrick D'Santi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2012 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 10  

That ROM toy has about 3 points of articulation   HAHAHA     I miss those simple days with simple toys.

I remember an ANT MAN appearance (not sure what comic), where Scott Lang is inside his daughters ROM doll fixing some broken wire thing.  I thought that was pretty cool.   One of those moments in Marvel comics where they broke the 4th wall and crossed over into "the real world", like having real Marvel staff in the pages, etc.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2012 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 11  

Bug was a member of Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy. There was also a kind of spin-off series called annihilators that featured a Space Knight as a member, though not ROM. That series brought back the Dire Wraiths as well.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

Love ROM without reservation. Bought it regularly from ish 1 for a few years before the comic book distribution began to get spotty ie available in comic shops instead of 7-11s.

It's always annoying to think Mantlo didn't appreciate Sal's art--at least that's the rumor--yet the two men produced a horde of great work together. 

Reading the Sal big-length interview from TwoMorrows, it seemed he really enjoyed his ROM work.

Just recently I started rebuilding my collection of the series, as the issues are fairly cheap (except, natch, where the X-Men are involved.) 

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version