Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Should comic book characters age? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

JB: In creator owned or other such isolated titles, that do not impact on a "shared universe", the characters can age if the drivers of the bus are so inclined.

But in most fiction, aging the characters is very much dependent upon the needs of the stories being told. Look at James Bond, for instance, as a good example outside comics. In the movies, the fact that the actors playing him were aging was completely ignored -- and passing time for the character went largely ignored, too. (In Pierce Brosnan's first outing as Bond, M refers to him as a "cold war dinosaur", which is pretty absurd considering his age.)

In comics, we had a whole lot of years in which this question was simply ignored. The early Marvel books played around with something akin to "real time", but once Stan and the Gang realized they were going to be around for a while, steps were taken to put the brakes on. Steps which later, less wise writers (coming mostly from the pool of fans-turned-pro) all too often ignored.

Overall, then, and keeping in mind that all generalizations are false, the answer to the question in the thread title is NO.

---

That's the complete, correct answer.

Back to Top profile | search

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't see a reason at all why a new generation needs a new Robin. -
-------------

Well; I guess it is a matter of prespective: for myself, even though I
grew up with Dick Grayson as Robin, I think Tim Drake was the better
Robin. So, denying Tim to the next generation is a bad thing. Yeah,
keeping Dick as Robin would be a good thing, but it is also bad.

And since Archie is a comedy; I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

My question as as far as aging serial characters in a shared universe would be; how does one gauge the passing of time? Does each issue constitute a month? Each year a year? If you read the first 100 issues of the Fantastic Four consecutively, it's clear that everything happens in far less time than it took to publish them. Aging the characters 1 year for every year of publication would mean that some years you'd only get to read about a few days, or even hours, in the lives of the characters.

Not to mention that the amount of time that passes in one year of the FF may not equal the amount of time passing in Spider-Man, or Thor, etc. That's why I always hated it when writers tried to jibe a characters service in, say, the Avengers with their activities in their solo titles. Trying to fit all these adventures into some kind of official chronology just seems pointless. There's the past adventure (the last one you read), the current adventure (the one you are reading) ad the next adventure. Anything beyond that is over thinking.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

If it's an ongoing serial, where the status quo has been shown to be no aging, and the story is being told as 'in the middle' then no, the characters should not age.

This applies to nearly all Marvel and DC properties.

It leads to problems down the line and is selfish with regards to the future readers who are being denied the 'real deal'.

Other than that, I see no problem with aging comic book characters.

So, Frank telling his Dark Knight Returns story with an old Batman at the end of his career as a one off that does not impact on the ongoing character is no more of a problem than telling the Batman Begins story about the beginning of his career.

A character created with the intention of aging is no problem. Writer's prerogative.

Deciding that Sprite should grow up, in direct contrast to her creator's stated wishes? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

* edited to change 'written' to 'created' for greater clarity of my intended meaning.

Edited by Peter Martin on 21 March 2012 at 5:15pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
My question as as far as aging serial characters in a shared universe would be; how does one gauge the passing of time? Does each issue constitute a month? Each year a year? If you read the first 100 issues of the Fantastic Four consecutively, it's clear that everything happens in far less time than it took to publish them. Aging the characters 1 year for every year of publication would mean that some years you'd only get to read about a few days, or even hours, in the lives of the characters.

I often use the James Bond example when debating this. Between 1962 and 2002 - a period of forty years - there were twenty official Bond films. The guy who fought Doctor No in DR. NO is the same guy who drove the invisible car in DIE ANOTHER DAY. Despite forty years having passed in the real world during those movies, from a movie-time perspective, Bond may well have had all those adventures within the space of three or four years.

If a Spider-Man comic ends with Spider-Man lying unconscious behind a trash can and then the next month's issue has him waking up and looking for a supervillain, then that does not mean Spider-Man has been lying unconscious next to a trash can for one month. A month may have passed for us as we await the next issue, but in Spider-Man's world, only a few moments (perhaps less than an hour) would have passed.

There used to be twelve issues a year (not nowadays with unprofessional late books). There may have been twelve standalone adventures. It took twelve months for us in the real world to read the twelve standalone adventures, but in the superhero world, those twelve adventures may only equate to a few weeks/months in the superhero's world.

Those are examples I use when debating this.

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

I used to think "no" but lately seeing all the horrible decisions the current owners of these characters have made I say "yes" tell their whole tale get it set in stone so it's always around for everyone to enjoy untainted. Then maybe these newer writers and artisits would have have to think up some original characters of their own to tell stories about instead of trying to change and undo the classic characters. Just look at the Marvel movies they always pick the classic stories to tell anyway (because they're the best) so whats the point of not aging them when no one ever tells stories comparable to the classics. I'd rather see how Stan would have ended Spider-man's journey and see a new writer tell his crappy hack of a story with "the son of" Spider-Man (or whatever incarnation he created to tell his story) than have them ret-con and taint the original.

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

On the flip side, what was/is strange, cool and interesting growing up, when we were kids we would look at heroes and think "when I grow up...".  Then we grew up into teens and realized we were then the same age as some of the heroes.  Now we are older than the heroes!  John establsihed Reed as being 40 (though I have no idea how old Reed is in the comics now) and I'm older than him now by a few years!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've always thought that in most cases it's a bad idea to even assign numerical ages to characters in ongoing comics (unless they're creator owned, as we said earlier). It seems far simpler and far less likely to cause problems to simply portray them as one of several of what might be called Archetypal Ages. In other words, you have late teen/ very young adult heroes like Spider-Man, the Human Torch, the original X-Men. Then there are those heroes who are full adults but still quite young, old enough to have serious careers but still physically in their primes, characters like Daredevil, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan (most superheroes really). And then there are the older, more mature heroes like Reed Richards, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange, not old but not young. It seems so simple. There's no reason to complicate it further! It also gets around the fact that people, in some cases, age differently as time goes by. In the sixties, someone who looked like Aunt May might have been sixty-five or seventy, but a woman who looks like that today might be in her eighties.

Edited by Aaron Smith on 21 March 2012 at 7:10pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Well; I guess it is a matter of prespective: for myself, even though I grew up with Dick Grayson as Robin, I think Tim Drake was the better 
Robin. So, denying Tim to the next generation is a bad thing. Yeah, 
keeping Dick as Robin would be a good thing, but it is also bad.
The solution is writing Dick as a "better" Robin. Most of Tim's good Robin stories could easily have featured Dick. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 March 2012 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 10  

If you read the first 100 issues of the Fantastic Four consecutively, it's clear that everything happens in far less time than it took to publish them.

••

That's a point I have argued for decades! (Because, alas, I AM aging in real time!)

Often I have challenged these loons who want the Marvel or DC universes to happen in real time to sit down with the first twenty years of Spider-Man's adventures, or the FF's, or the X-Men's, or any of them, and tote up just how much time passes "on camera". The answer is "not very much".

To inject real time into these books, in fact, would require huge amounts of "off camera" time, often weeks or months.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 March 2012 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 11  

On the flip side, what was/is strange, cool and interesting growing up, when we were kids we would look at heroes and think "when I grow up...". Then we grew up into teens and realized we were then the same age as some of the heroes. Now we are older than the heroes! John establsihed Reed as being 40 (though I have no idea how old Reed is in the comics now) and I'm older than him now by a few years!

••

Passing the characters is something I became aware of fairly early on -- which is why I would look fondly upon folk like Thor and Hercules, who will ALWAYS be older than me!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 March 2012 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 12  

Well; I guess it is a matter of prespective: for myself, even though I grew up with Dick Grayson as Robin, I think Tim Drake was the better Robin. So, denying Tim to the next generation is a bad thing. Yeah, keeping Dick as Robin would be a good thing, but it is also bad.

++

The solution is writing Dick as a "better" Robin. Most of Tim's good Robin stories could easily have featured Dick.

••

THANK YOU!!

I cannot adequately express how weary I am of characters being blamed for the shortcomings of the writers!

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version