Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Setting Sail (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 1  

"the Zane character pulls out a gun and shoots at the "tragic" couple. The ship sinking was just not quite enough action, apparently."

Heh. I never thought about that one before.

But like i mentioned earlier, my moment was when the ship struck the iceberg because a crewman on deck was too busy watching two fictional characters making out.
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 2  

Well, there's the personal satisfaction of shooting them as opposed to letting them drown...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

I never really got into the Titanic story.  I guess I'm not all that interested when things go wrong.  Too sad.  I am surprized there are people who don't know it was a real event.  But I don't think it's important enough to be taught in a history class.

The movie was...bland.  I hated how the main characters are involved in everything, right about everything, and the bad guy is always wrong.  She even likes Picasso....

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'll say this for the movie: the sinking sequence was impressive.

As for AVATAR, I guess that's pretty dumb too, but I found it to be a lot more fun.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

As for AVATAR, I guess that's pretty dumb too, but I found it to be a lot more fun.

••

I rarely have fun at lectures. Especially when I have heard the lecture before.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

The message is pretty ham-handed, but I don't know if I'd consider it a lecture. To me, it was more of an indictment against big corporations than against the average person.

Overall, I found I was able to look past any any messages and just enjoy it for the story (as average and derivative as it may have been) and the visuals. I used to think that might have been because I saw it in 3D on a big screen, but then I saw it recently, as an in-flight movie, on a very small screen and still found it held up, for the most part, as far as entertainment value is concerned — though maybe not quite as much.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

I can understand that some people have seen James Cameron's Titanic and did not like it.  Everyone has their opinion.  But what is with all the comments that go something like "I have not seen James Cameron's Titanic, nor will I"?  It sounds like righteous indignation or some kind of protest.  Those seem like strong feelings for a movie that you have not seen.  

The over saturation of the media blitz this film received the year it opened approached nauseating levels for me and my wife.  It got to the point that whenever either of us saw a commercial or yet another interview with one of the actors, we turned the TV off or changed the channel.  This movie literally got me to stop watching one of my favorite shows at the time in Entertainment Tonight.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

The message is pretty ham-handed, but I don't know if I'd consider it a lecture. To me, it was more of an indictment against big corporations than against the average person.

••

How does that make it any less a lecture?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB wrote:
How does that make it any less a lecture?

I guess what I meant was that I didn't feel the film was lecturing to me. It was a message about environmental degradation but of a specific kind, one in which the average person generally does not partake. Thus, I didn't really get the feeling that I was the one being preached to. Just my impression, of course.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 10  

Kevin wrote:
The over saturation of the media blitz this film received the year it opened approached nauseating levels for me and my wife.  It got to the point that whenever either of us saw a commercial or yet another interview with one of the actors, we turned the TV off or changed the channel.  This movie literally got me to stop watching one of my favorite shows at the time in Entertainment Tonight.

I remember the Celine Dion song being a big thing and how it annoyed the hell out of people. I somehow avoided listening to it until a year or so later. I was surprised to find I actually sort of liked it.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 April 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

I watched the National Geographic doc with James Cameron and a team of analysts/scientists/enthusiasts reviewing the wreckage that you guys mentioned upthread.  I found it endlessly fascinating.  Dare I say, Cameron's finest film!

I've never been captivated by the Titanic.  I saw the movie in NYC the week it opened, and haven't watched since.  Any non-fiction I have read has focused on the real people, so the Nat Geo doc (and companion article in the latest magazine) is my first exposure with the wreckage. 

I guess I never really appreciated the enormity of the ship. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 April 2012 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 12  

…me and my wife…

••

"My wife and me."

Pet Peeve #437.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version