Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Avengers Q for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

I remember that add! I thought maybe the Vision was going to be "rebuilt" into the Human Torch. My worldly 13 year old mind was all ablaze (no pun intended) with ideas the story was going to head in.
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 2  

Lil' Adam loved when JB brought the original Torch back. That was a fun run. Felt like, to me anyway, that anything could happen.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 3  

I can remember being a little indifferent with the ins and outs of the continuity at the time, even though JB did a good job or recapping everything that was required to know.

By the time the Torch was back for the Invaders 'reunion' in Namor I was really enjoying the fun of having the character back, but I think I missed out on that fun in AWC -- looking back it was very cleverly written, with little nods like "I must've got something in my eye," and I guess you'd say even an android can cry."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 4  

Lil' Adam loved when JB brought the original Torch back. That was a fun run. Felt like, to me anyway, that anything could happen.

••

Which, unfortunately, it did. After I spent so much time and effort tidying up the Vision's ridiculously complicated (and contradictory) backstory, other writers (themselves well known as "continuity cops") upended my story and made the Vision's history even MORE complicated!!

sigh

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

I ignored anything that followed. The image of the Vision and the Human Torch, two of my favorite characters, standing together was the best!!

Edited by Jeffrey Rice on 18 May 2012 at 9:33pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB, what were your plans for the Great Lake Avengers? What do you think of the direction that Marvel has taken those characters over the last several years?

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 7  

I remember seeing that ad for Vision Quest in a Starbrand issue.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 8  

JB, what were your plans for Tigra during your AWC run?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 9  

I find it scary how long ago this all was. It feels quite recent, but it was 23 years ago. Thinking about that gives me a tight feeling in my gut. 

Andy Ihnatko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Which, unfortunately, it did. After I spent so much time and effort tidying up the Vision's ridiculously complicated (and contradictory) backstory, other writers (themselves well known as "continuity cops") upended my story and made the Vision's history even MORE complicated!!

When should a writer treat a convoluted continuity as a puzzle that can and should be solved, and when should they just think "This was never designed with a rhyme or a reason; I'm going to choose a version of history that seems to make sense and fits my goals, and just move forward from there"?

It seems like amnesia is often the better part of valor.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 11  

When should a writer treat a convoluted continuity as a puzzle that can and should be solved, and when should they just think "This was never designed with a rhyme or a reason; I'm going to choose a version of history that seems to make sense and fits my goals, and just move forward from there"?

It seems like amnesia is often the better part of valor.

••

We used to refer to "Marvel serendipity". This was a magical something that often caused the introduction of some new element to cause story elements that had nothing to do with each other to fall together as if they were all planned as part of a larger whole. One example I had a direct hand in was the revelation that Magneto was the father of Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. Toss that into the mix, and all sorts of ingredients melded together as if it had always been the plan.

When I started doing my homework for my Vision story, I was delighted to see Marvel serendipity at work. Bits and pieces that were spread out over years -- decades, even! -- started to fall together as if someone really HAD worked the whole thing out in advance.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Bits and pieces that were spread out over years -- decades, even! -- started to fall together as if someone really HAD worked the whole thing out in advance.

That was an aspect of the MU that I found very interesting.  I can imagine how exciting it would be to work on an arc that really started to fall into place and not seem contrived, like it had been planned for years.  IMO, that has been lost of late.  There are a lot more pieces being forced together, resulting in stories that seem very manufactured.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version