Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wow, I haven't been following this thread since you first got her. Sorry
to hear about your worries.

Some cats take a while to acclimate. I wouldn't be too concerned. I
would advise against leaving the sink faucet to drip. It may give her a
water source now while she's adjusting, but may instill some bad
habits in the long run.

Just keep setting out food and she'll eventually come around.
Especially when she realizes your the one that feeds her.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

On the kitty cave thing, I know that my old cat Yoki used to find a place behind the sofa in the living room whenever she felt like hiding out.  She was never that sociable until later in her life, after my mother passed away.  Pinky, her younger "stepsister" would be far more visible and tended to wait until you produced a cat toy to start playing around with it.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Skelley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I had a cat that was a rescue who came into my life when she was around 3-5 years old. She was very timid and scared as it turned out (I discovered these details when the rescue I got her from found her original file a couple of years after I paid her bail) she had been abused. For about a year or so there were times I would almost forget I had a second cat as she would hide almost all of the time and would come out when I wasn't home. I was still young and didn't understand how to handle these things so I pretty much left her alone figuring she would come to me when she was ready. I think the process took around 5 years before she would sit on the couch with me. I regret it a bit as she turned out to be one of the sweetest mass murderers (as cats are, hidden under the fluffy camouflage)

I'm involved with my local rescue groups and am always happy to hear about stories like this one. I really wish you and Poe the best. My guess is the more comfortable he feels and comes out of his shell, the more interesting the stories about will turn out.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great news! 

Won't be long until he's adjusted and a happy member of the family. 

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Glad Poe was found.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Good to hear the littl'un is ok. 

When we got out cat Mau from the Nova Scotia SPCA last year he disappeared for about five hours on the first day. No one knows to this day where he went in that house.

Gil Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

When you track Poe down again you may want to lock him up in his own room so you don't lose track of him again. A bathroom or spare room or somesuch. Leave his food and litter box in there, a blanket or box to hide in. I've always done this will new cats. After a few days they always seem to come around and be more responsive after that.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My former cat, Earl, used to get around my old house in manners that convinced me he could teleport

On the flip side of that would be Rags, one of our two cats. 

Rags likes to run outside whenever he has the chance and always follows the same path; down the driveway towards the back of the house, up onto the firewood, and over the wall that leads to the adjoining cul de sac. 

Lacking the means to climb back over from the other side, he will sit there and meow until one of us walks around the block to pick him up and carry him back home.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John Byrne: "At least I know he's alive and well and in the house, but he has left his "catcave." . .  . 

We have a split - level house with a 3 1/2 foot crawl space underneath the living room, and our former cat, Carmel, used to love going in the crawl space to explore, almost to the point where he wouldn't want to come out without being coaxed out with treats.
It got so bad with Carmel that, eventually, we had to hang a door to block off the crawl space. Carmel was mad about that for a while, until he found other places to hide.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I feel kinda bad about disrupting Poe's hideaway. Not because I now don't know where he is, again, but because he'd found a place in this strange new "world" that felt safe to him -- and I stripped away that safety.

Hopefully, wherever he is, he's comfortable, and getting moreso with each day.

Holy cow! A week already!!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I know you're a cat lover, so you know how independent they are.  They're also an animal that hates change ever so much more than dogs.  Every single time I've moved homes, my cats have burrowed their way into some inexplicable nook or cranny in my new home and remain their for about a week...and those have been cats who I've had for years.  New cats vary depending on their personality, but to a cat they've all taken quite a while to get used to their new situation.  I'm sure that Poe (great name by they way!) will acclimate to his new surroundings given time and several months from now this will all seem but a distant memory.  

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

One of the suggestions given to me years ago to help pull out a cat in hiding is to sprinkle a bit of catnip you want them to be in.  It never failed for me to get them out of hiding and more comfortable in their newliving conditions.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version