Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne images (not found in the gallery) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2014 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

I love the Iron Man. Great Find!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Oh, and you missed one....

It's unfortunate that we'll never see THAT as the main suit of armor in the
movies.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2014 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 3  

That Iron Man is gorgeous!  Makes me think tho' that we've never seen JB's pencils inked as well as they could be.  Though I love the effect Austin and some others had (I still have fond memories of that one DeZuniga-inked MTU), I wonder WHO might have been the perfect Byrne inker?  Early Dick Giordano is the first that comes to mind (tho' his MAN OF STEEL inks did not quite do it).
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2014 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Re: Hiding the signature on the Batman cover, it looks like the familiar John Byrne autograph in the blank box is JB signing the original artwork for resale, not the signature for the piece, because that is right next to the box, "Byrne" made to look like part of the cracks in the wall.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 5  

Still no info concerning that strange Beyonder with armour ?

spelling

Edited by Philippe Negrin on 20 April 2014 at 8:50am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 April 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 6  

Still no info concerning that strange Beyonder with armour ?

••

Nope. I have absolutely no memory of that piece. Must have expunged it from my brain!

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2014 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

Great looking art. Thanks for sharing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

Speaking of the classic Golden Avenger armor, it never ceases to amuse me that this armor would have to be more sophisticated than the modern, bulkier designs, given the trend of technology getting miniaturized, sleeker and more powerful. Looking back, I think the Silver Centurion armor set a bad precedent for later designs.

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 9  

This thread is just too great! JB's classic Iron Man can't be beaten.

Bring out some more, guys!!!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 April 2014 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 10  

Speaking of the classic Golden Avenger armor, it never ceases to amuse me that this armor would have to be more sophisticated than the modern, bulkier designs, given the trend of technology getting miniaturized, sleeker and more powerful. Looking back, I think the Silver Centurion armor set a bad precedent for later designs.

••

This is a common problem with portraying technology. As I have often noted, back in the days of the original STAR TREK, Sulu and Chekov could drive the boat with just a small array of buttons. Which made perfect sense, given that the series was supposed to be set 200 years in the future.

Yet, when TREK came back as movies, my instant impression was that some kind of huge technological reversal had beset the Galaxy, as Starfleet (and other alien species) suddenly needed all kinds of buttons and screens and switches to do the same job. I postulated at one time that this was the reason for the "refit" of the Enterprise, and the reason the new technology was a bit dodgy at first. They were having to invent everything from the ground up.

The reality, tho, is that consumers demand what toy manufacturers call "perceived value." If they have to spend money on something, they want it to LOOK like it's worth it. Which, since this is America, means MORE, not less.

Same is true in comics. Howard Mackie and I, years ago, discussed how impractical comicbook tech really was. The walls of Avengers Mansion or the FF's headquarters covered with all kinds of panels and lights and screens and wotnot. "Realistically" all the tech they'd ever need would be in Iron Man's left boot. But that wouldn't LOOK very impressive.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 11  

That's true; a giant Kirby super-computer with a massive screen with myriad dials and colored buttons just looks so much cooler than going for realism. Super-heroes don't have to be hard science-fiction. In fact, they work better when they're not anything of the kind. One thing I've long been aware of is a severe lack of tolerance for "whimsy" when to comes to many modern fans. 

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 12  

I believe Don Heck really filled all the walls of Avengers Mansion with technology. They were living in a machine!

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version