Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Costume design best practices (unlike new Batgirl) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

But my Batman -- not Miller's vision but the Dick Sprang, larger than life smiling adventurer -- will never appear in a movie in fear of being consider a version of Adam West.

•••

Precisely why I cringe at the old show turning up on nostalgia channels, and dread a DVD release. Fifty years, almost, and the shadow lingers.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2014 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

In these days of constantly late books and artists "growing roses," there is another important consideration in costume design. There was wisdom and economy in the designs that were essentially naked men/women with a few strategic costume lines. Every flange, every strap, every buckle, every pouch, every lace, every wrinkle or seam is MORE TO DRAW.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 3  

I love the new costume design and the new artist.  I never warmed to the Jim Lee design, and I don't think Gail Simone ever quite got the right artist on her run.  Definitely checking this one out, and, maybe more importantly, I know dozens of women who read comics who are planning to pick up Batgirl once this creative team starts. 

DC must have realized that there's a very dedicated contingent of fans that will support books like Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel (and any number of indie comics), and they're shaking things up to make books with female leads stand out.  Marvel's books with female leads have a distinctive flavor now, and I think that's leading to some real brand loyalty.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 4  

It's weird. I can suspend my disbelief when it comes to capes, but with laced boots, I just keep thinking that whenever I wear boots with laces, they never stay tied.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 5  

While I prefer the original, it's obvious with this redesign that they're actually trying to reach some girls--which makes perfect sense! I wish they'd do something similar with Supergirl! I have no idea what audience they were trying to target with a "grim and gritty" SUPERGIRL comic! Likewise, who in the world are they marketing the New 52 TEEN TITANS or SUPERRBOY comics to?

They have Vertigo, why doesn't DC do a kid/family-friendly line too? (And I mean with clear and friendly art, like Curt Swan or Sal Buscema--not quirky REN & STIMPY cartooning!) Besides the titles listed above, I would love to see SHAZAM, PLASTIC MAN, maybe even KRYPTO! And, sure, I'd LOVE to see that "entry-level" BATMAN series JB pitched! And a new SUPERMAN one too!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 6  

They have Vertigo, why doesn't DC do a kid/family-friendly line too?

••

Who would do it? There are a bare handful of writers and artists who could handle such material without it becoming cartoony or, worse, condescending, and they have been mostly marginalized. Remember when DC tried to "recreate" Silver Age comics, and what we mostly got was ham-handed caricatures?

Plus, where would they be sold? Would the DSM open its arms to "kid-friendly" comics -- comics for kids who would have to travel MILES in order to get them, even assuming they heard about them! -- or would they be dismissed like "All-Ages," simply not the right stuff for the super-sophisticated ADULT audience reading comics these days. (Sarcasm fully engaged, there.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 7  

It's weird. I can suspend my disbelief when it comes to capes, but with laced boots, I just keep thinking that whenever I wear boots with laces, they never stay tied.

••

Exactly. Capes are such a standard trope, after all these years, it's usually only ennui engorged fanboys and snarky, Look How Clever I Am writers who worry about them.

But so many modern costume designs, being virtually street clothes, call to the reader's mind the difficulty it would be to operate with all those parts that could catch on the furniture!

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 8  

Using current fashion trends for superhero costumes is usually a bad idea. Nothing say dated like fashion. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 9  

Using current fashion trends for superhero costumes is usually a bad idea. Nothing say dated like fashion.

••

The truly great costume designs -- Superman, Batman, Silver Age Green Lantern and Flash, original X-Men, FF, Spider-Man, etc -- are by definition timeless. There is nothing about them that pins them instantly to a particular time frame, not even the one in which they were created.

This was why, for so many decades, Marvel and DC were able to do reprints without the characters, at least, looking horribly dated. Until, alas, artists started trying to be "hip" instead of generic.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 10  

Yep, nothing about Spider-man's costume screams: I was created in 1962!!!

While, mohawk, leathers and studs Storm yells: The 80s called, they want their outdated fashions back. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 11  

Yep, nothing about Spider-man's costume screams: I was created in 1962!!!

I think Spider-Man has one of the greatest costumes ever created. It was years ahead of its time and is, ironically, also timeless.    

On the flip side - I think the 90s may be the most cringe-worthy period when it came to costume design.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2014 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 12  

I think this new costume looks OK. Yes, the laces might come undone, but if they work for people in the army, it doesn't seem desperately unrealistic (although probably a pain to draw). Combat boots seem more sensible to me than high heels.

The leg pouch is sort of a variant on the utility belt, so doesn't seem out of place to me. 

The corset detailing and the shoulder marks are superfluous details that I don't see the point of, but overall the costume looks like Batgirl, which is the main thing.

Edited by Peter Martin on 14 July 2014 at 11:37am

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version