Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Apollo 45 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 1  

Fear, perhaps. But I think there's also the argument that we shouldn't be spending our treasure and resources on those little baby-steps to the stars when we're dealing with poverty and starvation at home. That seems to be the major theme with the anti-exploration pundits who get air time here.

+++

I seem to remember and later I will find the exact quote, that funding space exploration, accorrding to Dr. Carl Sagan would cost all Americans 1 penny a year to fully fund an aggressive space exploration program. The government spends more on defense and projects like how fast catsup moves on an inclined slope than the entire NASA budget, i would think that that argument they we shouldn't spend money on an aggressive space exploration policy is a little bit silly.  

Yes, we have problems that need to be solved but in my opinion going forward and exploring and pushing limits is what we humans do best and only in the forward expansion of our horizons will finally solve the problems we face.  Who knows, solving a problem about interplantetary flight for humans may solve a problem on a a blue dot called Earth.

Joe

[Edited to separate quote from response - JB]

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 18 July 2014 at 6:27am

Back to Top profile | search

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 2  

I would gladly give more than a penny a year to have an aggressive space program. A SAFE one mind you! Aggressive sounds so ....aggressive.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 3  

I would gladly give more than a penny a year to have an aggressive space program. A SAFE one mind you! Aggressive sounds so ....aggressive.

••

There's no such thing as a "safe" space program, any more than there is "safe" air travel, or automobile travel, or train travel, or boat travel.

People + machines + movement = eventual disaster.

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

True. Now I feel like watching The Right Stuff again.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2014 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 5  

True. Now I feel like watching The Right Stuff again.

••

UGH!!!! Read the book!!

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2014 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 6  

I think there's also the argument that we shouldn't be spending our treasure and resources on those little baby-steps to the stars when we're dealing with poverty and starvation at home.
---
This certainly is an argument.  Just not a very good one.

While there are certainly plenty of impoverished and homeless people in our country, none of them are impoverished or homeless because we went to the Moon.  There are starving children but none of them are hungry because we sent Voyager out of our solar system.  Many of our public schools are shambling with sub-standard curricula, but none of those students are inadequately educated because we have rovers on Mars.

What if we had spent half - no, one quarter - of the trillions of dollars (with interest) George W. Bush misspent in Iraq for nothing on advances in science?   What you're describing isn't a matter of fiscal possibility, it's political will. 

Edited by Craig Robinson on 20 July 2014 at 6:03am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2014 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 7  

Part of the problem lies in how boring pure science can sometimes be. Almost the whole world was caught up in the excitement of Apollo XI, but by the time we got to Apollo XVI. . .   Well, how many times can we get excited about rocks?

The same is true of the various planetary missions. Spectacular pictures of Jupiter or Saturn, or any other planet, are less exciting to Joe Public, who can see them in the latest sic-fi movie, often even MORE spectacularly.

Civilians have a problem translating the space program into improvements in their daily lives. There is a well known, if likely apocryphal, story of a NASA spokesman appearing before Congress in the Seventies, there to justify the space program's budget. "Let's add up all the things the space program has given us," he says. "Take out your pocket calculators." All the Representatives do so. "Okay," says the NASA guy, "that's one. . . "

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2014 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 8  

I remember when I was a kid in elementary school, even in the sticks, they gathered us in the library to watch live-to-tape replays of shuttle launches (until the Challenger disaster).  We didn't have cable at home.  Just nightly news and PBS.  So I devoured any kind of scientific news I could. 

I was appalled that my son's school paid no attention whatsoever to landing the rovers on Mars.  He and I were tweeting back and forth that day while he was at school, excited about the Rover feed.   He had to be sneaky-like throughout the day to keep from getting his phone taken.  How ridiculous is that? 

I was exposed to Isaac Asimov rather early on in my youth* and I just assumed when I was old enough to escape the hillpeople, we would be living Foundation-level lives.  Or at least the Jetsons.   Not only do we not have flying cars, our cars still use 120 year old internal combustion engines!  My biggest qualms with the Tea Party and Christian Right is the unfathomable anti-intellectualism they kneel before.

*by total fluke: I was in the SciFi/Fantasy book of the month club and didn't return the form in time and got "stuck" with the FOUNDATION trilogy, which became one of the most treasured books in my library (where it remains to this day).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2014 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 9  

My biggest qualms with the Tea Party and Christian Right is the unfathomable anti-intellectualism they kneel before.

••

The truth is scary. Since Copernicus shoved the Earth out of the central position in the Solar System (and by inference, the Universe), those of small intellect but large faith have struggled against the constant diminishing of our Place.

A while back I was chatting with one of my science savvy friends, and observed (I may have posted this here), that when we look at the Universe, we see that the manufacture of stars is something that happens A LOT. Stars are actually quite ORDINARY. And there are lots and lots and lots of galaxies, so stars clumping together to form them is also quite ORDINARY. Now astronomers have determined that there are more planets in our Galaxy than there are stars, so planet formation is clearly quite ORDINARY, too.

It becomes harder and harder for rational minds to claim that we, humans, are the pinnacle of "Creation." But for the irrational, that remains a central premise, to be defended even at the cost of lowering the educational standards of our children.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

"What if we had spent half - no, one quarter - of the
trillions of dollars (with interest) George W. Bush
misspent in Iraq for nothing on advances in science?   What
you're describing isn't a matter of fiscal possibility,
it's political will."

I take no real issue with this statement except to add that
military spending IS science and technology spending. It's
also the way so much new technology reaches our markets and
hands.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2014 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 11  

I take no real issue with this statement except to add that
military spending IS science and technology spending. It's
also the way so much new technology reaches our markets and
hands.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Not that I think war is as necessary as some people do.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2014 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 12  

War is not healthy for children and other living things.

It is, however, a real mutha when it comes to advancing technology! Look at WW2. Started with biplanes, ended with jets. In six years!!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version