Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: SDCC Cos-Play (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Jesus Garcia wrote:
Wow, this Batgirl must have been an obvious trans!

That's an odd comment/assumption to make. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2014 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

Just the thought of someone you never met before walking in out of the blue and expecting you to say "yes" to a solicitation for a one-night stand can be disturbing no matter what their gender. For someone like that to dress up in a costume and make that sort of move may indicate that something else is going on in their head besides a misguided desire to see a living sex toy. John Byrne was right to step away from that situation.

This brings to mind another disturbing thing that I read about on comicbook forums years ago, regarding individuals posting openly about what they called Con Sex. This was during the late 1990s, and is one of my earliest times realizing that the Internet could be a very dangerous, and quite disturbing place to be.
Back to Top profile | search

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2014 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

David Allen Perrin,love your Eddie Van Halen!
---
I think they should make Eddie Van Halen black to appeal to more fans.

David Philpott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

The gentlemen in the photo are Keith Pollard and Arvell Jones. Motor City legends ! Now if only Terry Austin would stop by.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2014 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 5  

My Eddie Van Halen 'costume' was from Halloween a few years ago.  the guitar is homemade and has speakers in it so I can plug my iPod into it so it plays music!  It is one of my prized possessions.  Its hanging on my wall in my living room.

I walked around all night going from bar to bar and every now and then someone would complement me on my Jimi Hendrix costume! 

Arv and Keith are my mentors and good friends.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 July 2014 at 4:22am | IP Logged | 6  

The gentlemen in the photo are Keith Pollard and Arvell Jones. Motor City legends !

••

And they got old, just like me! Dear God, is no one safe!?!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 27 July 2014 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 7  

delete

Edited by Thom Price on 27 July 2014 at 9:59am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

When I worked for FASA Corporation we would have an area in the booth where we artists would sit and sketch. We'd get gaming cosplayers who would wander by. One guy in full magician garb came up and proceeded to tell us of HIS adventures. For a good 45 minutes.

Trying to be respectful of him as a fan, we tried to make small talk, asking questions... the usual con stuff, but he just stared at us. We looked at each other and asked if he was ok and he replied we should not jest at his exploits as he had wrested the Rod of Asmodean from the demon's hand himself and angering him was not something to be done lightly.

We excused ourselves and headed as far away as possible for some lunch.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

Cosplay has improved about 1,000% since I started attending conventions.  Waaaaay back in 2001, I'd see a mix of cheap-o off the rack Halloween costumes and a handful of professional-looking outfits that matched up pretty well with the physical attributes of the cosplayer (not that we had that word then).

But now...man, I saw at least 100 GREAT costumes at Comic-Con, and probably at least that many at the much smaller Big Wow ComicFest in San Jose back in May.  The fans are passionate, they really put a lot of thought into making the perfect costume, they're very interested in being part of a whole fan community, and my favorite part of it is that they're having so much fun at the conventions.  Unless it's out of character to do so, they're almost always smiling and enjoying themselves and the experience, and it's fun watching somebody in a really great Cyclops costume get to be a "celebrity" for a day, and seeing convention goers treat them like celebrities, too.  "Did you see Plastic Man?"  "Yeah, he was walking around with Zatanna just a few minutes ago!"

There's just so much positive energy around seeing people who are really enjoying themselves at a convention, whether it's cosplayers or Twilight fans or whatever new fan community's popped up recently.  Comic conventions got to be really depressing for me for a while, since it's a job to those of us on the exhibitors' side of the table, but the attendees all seemed to treat it like a job, too--and not like a job they enjoyed.  The people who lined up really early to be the first ones let into the convention center any given morning looked like dead-eyed zombies who felt obligated to spend nine or ten consecutive hours wandering the floor looking for bargains.  Cosplay's a welcome change from all that.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

I don't mind the fact that grown men and women dress up as comic book characters at conventions, if it gives them enjoyment. If convention goers don't mind that people with inappropriate body types are dressed as particular characters, then so be it. For the record, I don't attend conventions.

The only problem I see is that the same mentality seems to spread beyond conventions, as witnessed by this news article. It describes how a guy recently walked around in public and took a train here in Australia, dressed as Deadpool - with accompanying fake but realistic weapons. Even though he ostensibly did it "for charity", I think it was a rather selfish and stupid thing to do which wasted a lot of Police resources. But if you read the comments, most people support him, because apparently self gratification trumps common sense.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

Dressing up in costume and carrying around real weapons is always a dumb idea.  Look up those militia groups in Texas, for starters.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

I have mixed feelings in general about cosplay. Some I get a kick out of
and some I just find annoying. I do think they do more harm then good
when it comes to traffic flow on the con floor.
I went to the bathroom at some point during the SDCC and saw a guy in
his underwear washing himself in the sink while his Ninja Turtle outfit
lay over the filthy bathroom floor.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version