Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: SDCC Cos-Play (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ha!

For what it's worth, this was the best year in a decade as far as SDCC traffic flow is concerned. 

You know those giant promotional Warner Bros. bags they give out when you register?  The ones that double as backpacks?  Imagine them four feet by four feet, but essentially as a giant canvas bag.  Now imagine that full of every single poster and free promotional item on the floor, or stuffed with toys, comics and t-shirts.  Now imagine three people in every single aisle or pathway dragging that behind them on the ground.  There were about five really terrible years of convention traffic based on that alone.

Jerky and arbitrary as some of the security people were with their rules about where people could sit or stand this year, they kept crowds moving pretty well, and cosplayers and the people photographing them had a much better sense of where it was and wasn't a good idea to do that this time around.  Sure, there are still going to be people who suddenly stop dead in their tracks while the guy with the nine-foot-wide Hawkman costume strikes a pose, but this was much, much better than I've seen it in a long time. 

In fact, there were fewer traffic flow problems at this show than I encountered at the very cosplay-heavy Emerald City Comicon back in May, which had about one quarter the attendance of SDCC.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

I will say the horror stories I have heard about SDCC in regards to
crowds seemed over hyped. The only day I had trouble moving around
was Sunday. Outside of the area of the Marvel and Dark Horse booths
on Saturday, the floor was easy to navigate.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

I walked around all night going from bar to bar and every now and then someone would complement me on my Jimi Hendrix costume!

Kinda makes sense. After all, what is Eddie Van Halen if not a pale imitation of Jimi Hendrix?

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 29 July 2014 at 4:54pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

I will say the horror stories I have heard about SDCC in regards to 
crowds seemed over hyped.

------

It felt less crowded this year. Hall H and Ballroom 20 were not overstuffed with Hollywood panels, and the crowds were more savvy about the off-site events. 

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

I usually avoid the middle of the floor, with its TV networks and toy companies, since it's impossible to get through there easily, but even that area was easy to navigate this year. 

The only big mess I ran into was when I made the embarrassing rookie mistake of leaving the building with everyone else in the world at 7pm to try and meet up with some friends for dinner.  I was stuck in a slow-moving mass of humanity for about 40 minutes, and the second I stepped onto that sidewalk I remembered that I should always wait at least 30 minutes before thinking of leaving the convention center (which is always an option for exhibitors).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2014 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

They are also better about line management. Hasbro has learned to manage its line length, LEGO has moved its raffle figures upstairs, Mattel does pre-sales off-site, and all the TV network and Studios raffle their signing and freebie tickets upstairs first thing in the morning. These booths used to be horrible sources of bottlenecks on the show floor. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 7  

"Kinda makes sense. After all, what is Eddie Van Halen if not a pale imitation of Jimi Hendrix?"

As a huge fan of both, I couldn't disagree more.  Seriously disagree.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 30 July 2014 at 5:52am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 8  

Hendrix and Van Halen are both guitar gods,but stylistically poles apart,there is no imitation,pale or otherwise.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 9  

THREAD DRIFT ALERT!!!!

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 10  

I am hoping to cosplay at the next con. It'll be Doctor Who which is basically turning up well dressed in a jacket, shirt and waistcoat which isn't a million miles from what I'd wear anyway.

Agree with Andrew on the improvement. There are some very impressive cosplayers at Irish cons. Not so much of the bad stuff.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 11  

The technical aspects of making costumes have improved enormously since my earliest days of attending conventions. As I said, some of the efforts are truly amazing.

What remains unchanged, alas, is the tendency of some to step into CHARACTER along with the costume --- and STAY there. They're like people who don't get when a joke isn't funny anymore.

This was one of the things I found most off-putting when I first went online. People who called themselves BATMAN462* or the like, and insisted on being addressed AS Batman. It was like those nuts in costumes finding a new home on the Web.

* Chosen at random. No reflection upon anyone whose screen name might actually be "BATMAN462".

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2014 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 12  

The opposite can apply too. At the last con I went to, there was a girl who did a really impressive Darth Maul. The only issue was that, when people wanted a photo, she would smile in them. It looked strange. I think being "in character" for photos is kind of expected. 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version