Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: The old stuff (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 1  

And the more I am able to prune as I go, the more I open up the issue for more story!

Yeah I can see the logic. And I do think it's my lack of experience. I was visualizing the story more like a novel but trying to keep it to the important frames to actually show the story. I'm trying to show the story with pictures well enough before adding the script.

Writing comics can be tough...;-) Or I'm just making things harder than they need to be (which is my typical MO).

I know this has been answered elsewhere but do you write your stories "the Marvel Way" or do you write full scripts first?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

I've just started rereading The New Teen Titans (for the first time since
they were issued) and it's easily taking 20 minutes per issue to read
them. Wolfman and Perez really put a lot into 20-something pages.
Quite different from today...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

Coincidentally enough, THIS CRACKED ARTICLE from this week's "edition" notes some parallel problems in modern television. It doesn't use the term decompression, but it does talk about that idea.There's no equivalent to the Direct Sales Market, because I think the venues for TV have expanded, rather than constricted.
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

Are modern comics a quicker read because of the lack of captions and thought balloons?

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I remember Marvel did a "silent" month for all their books one time--I'm thinking people felt cheated when all that month's issues took three minutes to "read"!

To be fair though, it's harder in some ways to do a story like that. I attempted it myself a few months ago and I found that, without relying on dialogue to explain some things, I had to add panels and figure out a lot of visual shorthands.

This thread reminds me of how a lot of old DC and EC comics used to have the captions describe EXACTLY what the art was SHOWING because the writer was basically telling the artist what to draw with those captions!

I'm also reminded that Will Eisner's SPIRIT and Goodwin & Simonson's MANHUNTER feature were pretty much 16-20 page stories squished into 7 or 8 pages! And those were as good as the medium gets!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

I remember Marvel did a "silent" month for all their books one time--
I'm thinking people felt cheated when all that month's issues took
three minutes to "read"!
=====
Only two books Marvel did that month were worth the money you paid.
Sadly, mostly that stunt just showed how bad many artists are at
storytelling. BTW, the two books that were worth it...
were AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and THE INCREDIBLE HULK. It was
at that point I truely realized just how good John Romita Jr. was. He
drew them both.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

JRjr is a f***ing GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

The "silent issue" of GI Joe was pretty good. 

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

In some ways, this can all be traced back in a 1960s issue of CAPTAIN AMERICA, which Gene Colan opened with something like three pages of Cap walking down the street. I have long suspected the book was running very late, so Stan didn't have time to send the pages back to be redone with Cap doing something more exciting. So he scripted them with the troubled ruminating that became standard for Cap -- and a whole lot of writers thought that was a good idea.

I read a reprint of that issue as a kid. I didn't realize what Cap was ruminating about until later (anti-Vietnam War protests and the late '60s counterculture). But I'll admit that the three pages of Cap walking down the street didn't bug me, if only because there was exciting stuff later on, like his fight with the Scorpion and SHIELD showing up and such.

I can't recall exactly what I thought of those pages at the time. Probably something like "Hmm, this must be important but I don't really get it."

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2014 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 10  

Three pages of ruminating versus twenty-two freaking pages of it. I'll choose the former. At least, Cap was ruminating about something topical at the time, although that probably made the character very dated in hindsight. (The problem then becomes resisting the urge to tie in 1960s Cap with current Cap; the bane of continuity geeks.)

As for John Romita Jr., I see him as the last of the "old school" artists from my days as a younger comicbook fan. The guy must be doing something to keep himself employed at Marvel even after all these years. Maybe he's good friends with Joey Q and some of the moonlighting Hollywood scriptwriters hogging the plotters' roles there?

A shame, really. Romita Jr.'s work is still enjoyable, but the writing and all the crap with CRISIS!CRISIS! events and non-stop crossovers keeps me away. Perhaps if he went the Neal Adams route and did a relatively self-contained story with a better writer who understood and loved the medium, I'd pick that one up.

Edited by Carmen Bernardo on 03 September 2014 at 4:51am

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2014 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 11  

Wolfman and Perez really put a lot into 20-something pages.

My favorite book as an adolescent, because of the deft blend of action with characterization. Learning how both creators played a huge role in any given issue (a version of Marvel Style) just reinforces for me how collaboration between writer and artist would lead to more dynamic and less compressed issues!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2014 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 12  

My favorite book as an adolescent, because of the deft blend of action with characterization. Learning how both creators played a huge role in any given issue (a version of Marvel Style) just reinforces for me how collaboration between writer and artist would lead to more dynamic and less compressed issues!

I bought it from issue #1, but at the time, wasn't much of a DC fan. I read it, but didn't get into as much as what Marvel was putting out at the time. Rereading it though (with a better knowledge now of the DC Universe), I'm really enjoying it.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version