Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Political thread: Hong Kong sky is becoming darker (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 October 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

All the best, Didier. Proud of you.
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2014 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 2  

Didier,

I am very worried about you - but also very proud of you.  Stay safe for your family.

Yours,
Marc

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2014 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 3  

Freedom definitely isn't free.  Please be careful out there... you're in my thoughts.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

Didier can you give us a glimpse at the counter-demonstrations?  Read in the news these are made up of paid triad gangsters?  

Take care of yourself. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2014 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

Be safe, Didier.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 6  

I find it so frustrating that nobody in China cares about this. Nothing in the news (of course), but people I talk to are happy with the status quo, since the government only does bad things to other people, not them. 

I once tried to explain to my students why drivers should pull over and let ambulances, police and firetrucks past when their sirens are on. They just didn't get it. If they are not hurt, they don't care. 
"What about your grandmother? She might be walking on the street and get hit by a crazy driver. Would you not want her to get to the hospital fast?"
"But my grandmother was not hit by a car. Also, she lives in a small town so no problem"

A lot of people in Hong Kong seem quite content to take orders from China, since it does not affect them directly. The future is beyond them, just the present. The fact that the triads and criminals in Hong Kong are against democracy is not surprising since their kind, as well as the Chinese leaders, thrive in darkness and corruption. The latest poll I saw had the people in HK against the protesters at about 40%. They are quite happy with the present condition and have no interest in the future. They don't seem to realize that the Chinese government will slowly start to erode their freedoms. Instead of emulating Hong Kong, a successful system, they will want to slowly rebuild Hong Kong to match China, not the other way around. 

I admire Didier. We have met a few times in Hong Kong and he is a great guy. He has lived there for many years, has two kids, and a house. It is his home. I have no say to what happens in China or how they run things since I am just visiting but to Didier, it is the future of his children. I wish him well. 

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2014 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 7  

It's one of the saddest things when you realize that the majority of the world lives by the old Hobbesian principle. Leviathan is very much alive and kicking, and if one lives a comfortable, happy life, it doesn't matter if they see the big boot on the other guy's neck. It is a repeat of history that will continue to perpetuate itself as long as the corrupt rulers and crimelords can benefit from keeping a large segment of the populace ignorant of what they've been doing.

My sympathy goes out for people who realize that this isn't the way they should be living and have built up the courage to do something about it. My hope is that there are more people than we're being told (I always hold polls in a skeptical view regardless of the side that takes them), and that there may well be a percolating resentment against Beijing and its excesses (with and without collusion from the crimelords) that'll spill over into the countryside. It has happened before. To use a Chinese term, it's quite likely that the Mandate of Heaven will soon be leaving the communists for a new leadership. The fear is that it'll not be without blood being shed (remember Tiannamen Square).

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2014 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 8  

Hi everybody. Thank you very much for your thoughts and kind words.

I am safe at home. Quite tired. I will write a longer post tomorrow.

But my thoughts are for the students and the protesters who are still
there. Some of my French friends went back tonight. And this is not
looking good at all.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

Here is something to sum up nicely the situation in Hong
Kong...

Link

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

Glad you are safe, Didier!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2014 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 11  

Thanks for the update on the situation over there.

-C!

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

From today's Shanghai Daily. 

AN illegal assembly what the initiators self-claimed to be "with peace and love" has left nothing but adverse impacts on the economy and people's livelihood in Hong Kong, besides tearing apart the local community with clamorous streets in the past month.

Since the "Occupy Central" movement was announced on Sept. 28, hotels, retail stores and tourism agencies have been among the first victims to bear the brunt of the sit-in demonstrations.

After the seven-day Golden Week shopping spree of the National Day started on Oct. 1, the number of tour groups and individual visitors from the Chinese mainland to Hong Kong has dropped sharply, according to statistics from both sides.

The average lodging ratio of Hong Kong's hotels in October used to above 90 percent, however, it declined by 10 percent in the month this year, according to Yiu Si-wing, a member of Hong Kong's Legislative Council (Legco) who speaks for the tourism community.

Many retail stores located in the areas where the Occupy took place complained that their sales had dropped by at least 30 percent and some even 80 percent. It has been anticipated that this October will be the first that witnesses negative growth in the  region's retail turnover since 2003 when the individual visit scheme was started.

"If the Occupy movement continues, it will inevitably bring blow to consumers' willingness in Q4 and pose indirect impact on Hong Kong's employment market," said Matthew Cheung, Secretary for Labor and Welfare Bureau of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) government.

The impact of Occupy demonstrations to the daily lives of the local citizens is more obvious. More than 200 bus routes had to be shut down or altered as the protesters occupied several main downtown expressways and commercial centers in Admiralty, Mong Kok and Causeway Bay.

Branches of more than 50 banks in those areas suspended their business. In Mong Kok, road barricades, made of bamboo and other sharp materials, erected by the Occupy protesters had brought dangers to pedestrians.

Secretary for Security Lai Tung-kwok said Monday that the illegal gathering in Mong Kok was on the verge of a "riot." A series of violent, irresponsible and illegal acts had had a very severe impact on social order, the economy and the people's livelihood, which ignited great anger from residents.

Moreover, if the Occupy Central movement supporters go to extremes, their colleagues, friends and even family members may be irritated by their extreme attitudes or behaviors, Hong Kong clinical psychologists Amos Cheung said.

Gradually a rift would be developed among Hong Kong residents and the society may be ripped apart, Cheung added.

Recently cases of disputes among family members often turn up in newspapers. Some couples broke up because of different standpoints; some friends who had kept friendship for tens of years quarreled for the movement and ended up in enemies.

Secretary for Transport and Housing Cheung Bing-leung said this movement had a great negative impact on Hong Kong's image, which would take its toll on its development and international comparative edge.

As the movement went on, the opposition from Hong Kong residents piled up. An increasing number of people appealed to the occupiers to end the movement as soon as possible.

The Alliance for Peace and Democracy launched a signature campaign amongst all Hong Kong people last Saturday to support the police to restore social order and safeguard rule of law, while demanding the protesters to end the movement.

Hong Kong residents reacted warmly with long queues waiting for signing. Until 7 p.m. on Tuesday, over 980,000 signed.

The protesters occupied roads in Admiralty, Causeway Bay and Mong Kok which had disrupted normal traffic and threw severe impacts on the daily life of Hong Kong people, said Robert Chow, spokesman for the Alliance for Peace and Democracy.

Chow said that signing campaign aims to let the government gain adequate public mandate to support the police enforcing the law.

Seventy percent of respondents didn't support the movement, according to a recent survey conducted by the Hong Kong Research Association. The attitudes the respondents held towards the Occupy movement's organizers and participants worsened further, with 64 percent of the respondents insisting the protesters' acts are " totally unacceptable."

In recent days, the whole Hong Kong society has appealed repeatedly to the protesters to leave the occupied areas as soon as possible. A group of 40 Legco members issued a joint announcement that the protesters should return the occupied roads to the public for Hong Kong's overall interests and its future. Hong Kong deputies to the National People's Congress also called on the protesters to respect rule of law and stop the occupying movement for the interests of Hong Kong.

Hong Kong media also urged the protesters to retreat, claiming a movement cannot last long without the support of the majority of Hong Kong people. The protesters should let the suspended traffic resume and social order restore.

As Lai said, the Hong Kong people have witnessed the movement becoming a dangerous train running out of control.

Hong Kong is a place under rule of law, he said, but the acts of the protesters including defying court rulings and flouting disciplines are undermining the cornerstone of rule of law, which was established by generations of Hong Kong people and has lasted for over 100 years.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version