Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Who Created Wolverine? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

Bah! Don't worry about proof reading, Mack.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

Bad proofreaders of the World untie!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was chatting with Paul Kupperberg this morning, and the subject of this thread, in its broader sense, came up. Affixing credit for creation is very difficult.

Take an example that is bound to get me in trouble: Captain America. The Kirby estate, and Kirby himself before them, claimed creator credit for this character. Once, Stan was credited as the "creator" of Captain America, in a foreign publication over which he had no control, and the Kirby fans went thru the roof. "Jack created Captain America! Stan had nothing to do with it!" (A point on which Stan has always agreed!)

Yet -- when we look at the origin of Captain America, his creation as a comicbook character, we don't find Kirby. We find Joe Simon, who did the famous pitch drawing of the character, and who wrote, full script, most of the early adventures. It is a long-hallowed tradition that Kirby at the very least co-created Captain America, but the evidence is not really there.

Creation in the real world is often a very complex and messy process. It is no less so when it's imagination that's doing the heavy lifting.

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

Wolverine is a truly great example of where development overpowers the creation.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

Who's going to get the credit for the creation of Captain Marvel when the new Marvel film comes out? 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Who's going to get the credit for the creation of Captain Marvel when the new Marvel film comes out?
The Marvel films tend to "thank" anyone who had a hand in developing the characters or plot elements in their films. I imagine Lee, Colan, Starlin, Thomas, Romita and a few others will be among the thankees. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

Matt H:  "It is a fact, based on what JB has said, and what Claremont and Cockrum have also acknowledged in interviews, that Wolverine would have been written out of the "Uncanny X-Men" title, but for JB protesting the removal of the only Canadian character on the team. Wolverine was not a favorite of Dave Cockrum (I even recall him saying as much to me in person at a convention).

If that hadn't happened, and Wolverine had been pushed out, I doubt he would have became anything big. The character would likely have become one of those oddball 1970s' characters that faded away, popping up only occasionally."

This is the biggest omission in the summary of the article - preventing Claremont from writing Wolverine out of the book is an enormous contribution to the character at a pivotal moment.  How could they miss something that big, but include the nonsense about the FOOM contest?  BACK ISSUE usually had good reporting, but they really dropped the ball here.

I also don't think JB gets enough credit for how the character was portrayed during his run. The excerpts at the top of this thread just credit JB for art, but JB plotted or co-plotted many of the iconic stories that still show up in collections today. 

You really hit a groove with Wolverine, JB - especially during the final issues. I'm grateful for what you did, regardless of what happened afterwards!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

Marvel should include a thanks to CC Beck, as kind of a salute as they beat the competition to the theaters by a year.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

Peter Martin wrote:
...Who's going to get the credit for the creation of Captain Marvel when the new Marvel film comes out? ...

Mike Norris wrote:
...The Marvel films tend to "thank" anyone who had a hand in developing the characters or plot elements in their films. I imagine Lee, Colan, Starlin, Thomas, Romita and a few others will be among the thankees. ..

David Miller wrote:
...Marvel should include a thanks to CC Beck, as kind of a salute as they beat the competition to the theaters by a year...

Warner Brothers would have (or will) released the movie as "Shazam!" anyway. There's a trademark issue there. And if Marvel DID thank anyone from another publisher, it should be DC, not CC Beck, as DC's lawsuits against Fawcett is what made it possible for Marvel to usurp the trademark for the title "Captain Marvel" to begin with. It's DC's own fault that it can't use the name "Captain Marvel."

Anyway, I give thanks to the fact this thread is about Wolverine, so we don't have to discuss the "Captain Marvel/Shazam" thing here. ;-)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2014 at 3:15am | IP Logged | 10  

Starting this week, Marvel are including a 'Created by...' tagline on the first page on some books. Not sure whether it will say anything separate for Wolverine as it looks like they are just going with 'X-Men created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby'.

Robert Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

I've always considered John Byrne's interpretation of the Wolverine to be the definitive version of the character.  X-Men ( at least for me) was not the X-Men unless John was drawing the characters.   

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 October 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

Starting this week, Marvel are including a 'Created by...' tagline on the first page on some books. Not sure whether it will say anything separate for Wolverine as it looks like they are just going with 'X-Men created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby'.

••

I wonder how much effort they'll really put into those credit lines? And how many layers deep they'll go.

For instance, I created Kitty Pryde. Named her, designed her, came up with her backstory, the works. Chris' "contribution" was making her a "genius," one of his "felt like it at the time" bits that was absolutely nothing to do with the completely normal and ordinary teenager I wanted her to be. And, of course, I quit UNCANNY not long after Kitty made her entrance, so most of her "development" came from Chris. (And Paul Smith, who changed her from "young Sigourney Weaver" into Brooke Shields.)

So, who created Kitty Pryde?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version