Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Thoughts About Today’s Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

I can't get into today's comics (except for what JB produces).  I've just reread BLOOD OF THE DEMON, DOOMSDAY.1, and THE HIGHWAYS.  I just started rereading NEXT MEN from issue 31, and I have COLD WAR and all the STAR TREK in a stack waiting to be reread after that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying NEW VISIONS, but I do hope JB returns to traditional hand drawn comics.  Especially the Byrne-verse, especially the DOOMSDAY.1 gang.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 November 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

...I do hope JB returns to traditional hand drawn comics...

•••

Dood! That is SO last Tuesday!

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

Stephen Churay wrote:
...Brevoort is considered by many to be one of the good guys at
Marvel
and well respected...

Matt Hawes: Just 'cause he is one of the only people left before the
Quesada-Jemas era doesn't make him one of the "good guys." I'm not
saying he is evil, but Brevoort is constantly excusing or defending
anything Marvel does, no matter how awful. I get it, he's a company
man who wants to keep his job, but I'd rather he say nothing at all.
=======
Matt, I don't disagree at all, or with JB's response. As time goes on
and more people hear the apparent rhetoric, I'm sure they've changed
there opinions as well. Despite having to take his website with a grain
of salt, I still read BleedingCool because I think Rich is willing to
challenge what's being said from the Marvel brain trust.

I haven't changed my mind about issues I've read on how Marvel
handles there characters or there readers. I think the company has
done and is doing real damaged to the medium and in some cases,
price gouging there customers.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

I really wonder about the intelligence level of some of the behind the scenes people at the Big Two.

If the Falcon is a bit hit in the movies, WHY in the world would you drop the Falcon name and costume in the comics and give him the borrowed identity of another character?!?

Likewise, the two THOR movies are probably the worst of the Marvel Studios movies, but they're still big hits, probably based a lot on the appeal of Chris Hemsworth, who has made Thor a manly sex symbol. So, what's the big move for Thor in the comics? They made him a woman.

Two really dumb moves at exactly the wrong time. (Not to mention that they JUST had Cap's partner Bucky take over the Cap identity within the last five years! Not only is this the wrong move for the Falcon, it's repetitive, lousy storytelling.)

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

We're getting a one or two-year preview of a Falcon series now, and by the time the next Captain America movie rolls out, there should be a trade paperback or two with the Falcon headlining his own series.  In hindsight, Marvel could have launched a Falcon solo series a year ago in order to have a trade paperback on the shelves by the time The Winter Soldier hit, but letting Sam Wilson build up a nice rogues gallery before he gets a solo book will buy him an extra year of good sales when the time comes.

Thor is anybody's guess, although a well-received run featuring the female Thor can give Marvel another spinoff when the original comes back.  I'm sorry that there seems to be less room on the racks for oddball Marvel and DC books that have no media tie-ins or merchandising (like, you know, The Fantastic Four), but everything they're doing makes sense from a corporate angle.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 6  

... the two THOR movies are probably the worst of the Marvel Studios movies, but they're still big hits, probably based a lot on the appeal of Chris Hemsworth...

---

I mostly agree with your sentiments, but I think you accidentally typed "Chris Hemsworth" instead of "Tom Hiddleston" there, Eric. ;)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 7  

I know you're kidding, but EVERY girl I know (geek and non-geek) LOVES Chris Hemsworth and, by extension, now Thor. I can't see a female Thor movie (or comic) appealing to anyone.

Going back to that one WHAT IF 35 or 40 years ago, making Thor a girl just seems to be a weird comment on his hair--like if you've got long, blond hair, you MUST be a girl!

It's just a weird idea based on a leftover stem from his origin that Lee and Kirby soon made irrelevant. Sure, Simonson used it for Beta Ray Bill and a frog, but for at least somewhat comedic effect. What next--"Lady Hercules"?

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 8  

Eric Jansen wrote:
Two really dumb moves at exactly the wrong time.

Par for the course, these days. Lest we forget: Nolan's Dark Knight was a massive critical and commercial hit, so what had DC just done…?

They'd written Bruce Wayne out of the main Batman titles, so any non-comic-reader looking to follow their enjoyment of the movie through to actually, y'know, buying a comic would be greeted by the fact that Bruce Wayne wasn't Batman and that the cape was being worn by Dick Grayson, someone whose name would be unknown to a non-fan informed primarily by the Nolan movies.

Edited by J W Campbell on 18 November 2014 at 3:24am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 9  

A great deal of what's wrong with comics today is defined in this cover I did years ago (and that I am amazed Marvel went with, even with their editorial addition to the cover copy):

It seems almost no one knows how to produce a done-in-one story anymore, so "events" -- Which that first FF ANNUAL She-Hulk is holding certainly was, in its day -- end up getting smeared across multiple titles and dragged on and on. Mostly, I supposed, it's because the anal retentives who used to ask "Where were the Avengers when Atlantis attacked New York?" are now chief among the people running the show, and eager to ANSWER such questions.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2014 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 10  

It must be such fun and amazing treat when you have had to recreate classic covers or scenes!

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2014 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 11  

I think the fact that most comics today lack 'fun' (love that Marvel Age cover, btw) is another thing wrong, IMO.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 November 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 12  

FUN and GRANDEUR! Missing, presumed dead.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version