Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Superhero A-list, B-list .... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

I don't think the fact that a character has a movie or two automatically propels him into the A-List--Ghost Rider, Blade, Elektra, Swamp Thing, Jonah Hex, etc. are still not A-List.

But if a movie really hits and prompts the publisher to really push a new comic and it sells, then, yes, some B-Listers can jump to the A-List practically overnight--like the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Even though Green Lantern has never been the biggest seller (though he was up there for a while after his revival) and his movie flopped and his cartoon show only lasted one season, I think if you add it all up then he gets promoted to the A-List.

Wolverine has had two movies (one stinker and one all right) and usually has at least two comics going every month, he has definitely earned his A-List status.

Supergirl, Robin, and Batgirl are interesting cases since they are household names though they cannot really carry their own TV show, movie, or successful comic series. But they always seem to have the POTENTIAL to do those things!

Shazam/Captain Marvel is a curiosity since he was definitely the top of the A-List when comics were at the height of sales and he did have a TV show, movie serial, and now an upcoming movie. Is A-List status a club that, once entered, you're a member of forever? Or is it something that needs to maintained?
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

To clarify, Supergirl DOES have a new Tv show coming up (as well as her old movie and numerous comic book attempts); Robin has starred or co-starred in numerous animated series, the 60's BATMAN show, and a couple of movies; and Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) finally does have her own successful comic, starred in the BIRDS OF PREY TV show, and (as I understand it) the 60's BATMAN show could have gone another season if Adam West had agreed to Batgirl replacing Robin.

So, that's what I mean when I say that they all had (proven) potential.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2014 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

I feel that Robin / Nightwing , Batgirl, Supergirl are too much like supporting characters. To consider them A-list would be like putting Alfred or Aunt May up there as well. I know that a lot of Dick Grayson and Batgirl fans will beg to differ. It will be really interesting how the Supergirl TV show will handle not having a Superman connection (assuming there will be no TV version of Superman). 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 23 November 2014 at 8:59pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

When I was collecting comics if you had your own monthly book you were an "A Lister", if a character did not have a a book or was bi-monthly I considered them "B listers".

Exactly how I used to see it. Indeed, it was always the said B-listers that interested me more. I used to love guest appearances from characters that slightly off the radar. Probably why I loved books like the Champions, New Mutants, New Defender and, of course, Alpha Flight - at the time, none of the characters were that well known to me and the sum off their parts was oh, so much greater. 

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

A list:
Superman
Batman & Robin
Wonder Woman
Spider-man
Hulk
Iron Man
Wolverine.  I will say I hate adding him to the list, but many many people can identify him if his claws are popped.  
If counting villains than : Joker.  

Even with TV & film  I've seen many non-comic fans fail to recognize Green Lantern, Flash, or Green Arrow.  I've worn a Flash shirt and usually it gets ID as Flash Gordon.  I think Captain America & Thor could join this list soon.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2014 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 6  

Anyone who doesn't include WONDER WOMAN as an A-Lister has me to contend with!!!! (smile)

Marc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version