Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Normalizing relations w/ Cuba (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2015 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 1  

Look Cuba is not in the list, they are cool!!! It does not matter they follow the same ideals and collaborated with all communist regimes listed above.
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 2  

That list doesn't say anything about forced abortions either.

Again - just because they are capable doesn't mean they necessarily are - and if they ARE, you should be able to show me, not tell me.

And with that, I am out.  This is President Obama all over again - where I'm stuck defending something because its critics are so incompetent.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2015 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marcio, you didn't answer my question a page back... do you think the US should break off all diplomatic and trade relations with China, Saudi Arabia, and other dictatorships that are as repressive (or moreso) as Cuba?

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2015 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

I suggest googling "Michael Totten Cuba" and reading some of Totten's stuff on his visit to Cuba.  The first piece that comes up on my search, "The Last Communist City," is enlightening on many subjects, including Cuba's "superior" health care.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2015 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jason, it is really simple if you starting seeing Cuba leaders as they really are. They are no better than Nazis. The only difference between Castro and Hitler is the power and opportunity. Both are vicious dictators. Saudi Arabia is a completely different story, it is a religious regime.
It is outrageous to think that it is justifiable to maintain relations with Cuba and the Castro dictators only because USA maintain relations with countries and governments that are not free from questionable matters themselves.
The truth is that Cuba and their ideology already conquered the power in South America. Countries like Venezuela, Argentina, Ecuador and even Brazil, are now working for the Castro brothers. Brazil spent USD 500 million building a port in Cuba and sends a huge amount of money to the country by the shameful slavery of the Cuba doctors (country receives USD 5000 per month for each doctor and pay them less 10% of that amount). 
Peoples approach to communism and communist governments  should be similar to what they feel about Nazism. Look at the numbers, and you will see that the communist ideology killed much more than Nazism. Both should be despised. Cuba and North Korea are the same. Only fools refuse to acknowledge that.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2015 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think an argument is lost when you compare Castro to Hitler and say they are no different.

Edited by Michael Sommerville on 02 January 2015 at 10:25pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 7  

Marcio, Saudi Arabia may be an absolute monarchy rather than a dictatorship, but in terms of the rights and freedoms of its citizens and their quality of life it is not a "completely different story."  It is a repressive, brutal regime with an atrocious human rights record that is in many ways worse than that of the Castro government (more information here).  And what about China and Vietnam?  Their form of government is absolutely no different than Cuba's, and their human rights records are equally bad.  There are many other vicious, repressive dictatorships that enjoy full diplomatic relations with the US.  Some of them (Zimbabwe, Myanmar, Uzbekistan) even receive significant amounts of foreign aid from us. 

My point is that the US is hardly consistent in breaking ties with repressive regimes that have poor human rights records.  To the contrary, we have diplomatic and trade relations with far more such countries than we shun.  I'm wondering why you feel Cuba should be singled out for different treatment than the vast majority of tyrannical regimes?  Or do you feel that we should break off relations with all repressive regimes? 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 03 January 2015 at 2:05am

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 8  

Because Cuba doesn't have oil!  Duh!

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Oliver weighs in on the embargo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7hZjNO3I-Q

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2015 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think an argument is lost when you compare Castro to Hitler and say they are no different.

---

Whereas I think it's laudable for Marcio to do so, since he's from Brazil and if anyone knows who is and isn't like Hitler, it's a guy from the country where all of Hitler's clones were born. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version