Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: 4 months without buying a new comic. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'd probably buy some Hellboy or BRPD if I saw them around in a book store, though I'm more likely to wait for a trade paper back or collection than chase issues.

I still like Marvel Characters and DC characters. Sadly I don't see Marvel stuff on TV often (I was watching Avengers Assemble and it was okay but I haven't seen it on the TIVO in a while) and WB Animation started making New 52 and Batman's Son movies instead of JLA-esque stuff.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

It has been over two years since I last bought a comic book and I actually liquidated my collection at around that same time.

While there was still some terrific work being done at the time (by Mr. Byrne and others) the tremendous sense of joy I used to feel from picking up a new Marvel or DC comic every month was long since gone.

There is a small part of me that hopes that some young comic book reader will pick up my old comic books from out of the back issue boxes at their LCS and discover just how great comics used to be and how much fun they were.

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 3  

John Young wrote - I understand many people love the independents, but I like superheroes, and there is not much out that way in the independents or that I have found I like.

---

Try TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES from IDW, or MEGA MAN from Archie Comics, especially if you've got kids you want to read the books with. Or if you want more 'mature' violence and language try the VALIANT universe. I'd recommend X-O MANOWAR or ARCHER AND ARMSTRONG to start, but if you're really into action and carnage try BLOODSHOT. 

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 4  

Brad, if you're a straight-up superhero fan, neither of those are actually options, they're two different extremes. That's part of the problem.

ASTRO CITY is published by DC and is routinely better than anything the company is doing as part of its main line, but it still doesn't quite scratch the itch of having a high adventure superhero tale.

CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT by Dark Horse has been a good, solid read. Almost like Brubaker's Captain America only not forgetting who is supposed to be the most compelling and driving force of the title. Unfortunately, it appears it might be sacrificed on the alter of Crossover-itis.

THE FOX by Archie could be a reasonable alternative to DC/Marvel, although it's following in their footsteps by being all about a legacy character (and thus, about continuity). They seem to want to be like DC and Marvel by recasting their original superheroes after killing them off. But, Waid and Haspiel seem to do a good job at creating a fun superhero comic out of that morass.

Dynamite tries to offer superhero comics, but they are inconsistent in quality, rarely rising above mediocre. They are also inconsistent in continuity of character. MASKS uses several characters from different Dynamite series but is incompatible with them. It also introduces two new characters who get their own series/mini-series but are ultimately different versions of the characters. KING'S WATCH is incompatible with the Flash Gordon and Phantom comics the company had been publishing shortly before. The company seems truly clueless on how to establish a vision or a brand and deliver on it consistently.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 5  

Ed - have you read TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES? Best book on the stands right now. It's got a rich and diverse supporting cast, multi-faceted characters, and a story that can encompass many different themes and genres. It's like Wolfman/Perez TEEN TITANS or Claremont/Byrne X-MEN in those ways. I'm not saying it's going to be as legendary or perennial as those vaunted runs, but it's got a lot of the key ingredients and the creators are using them in fun and clever ways. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

I haven't read Marvel or DC books for years now, but I read a handful of independent books, which I enjoy plenty.

My interest in reading super hero fiction waned a long time ago, in general, though, so the relative quality of Marvel and DC doesn't affect my interest in comics.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

I do like Mark Waid's Daredevil and have been buying occasional collections.  I will also get any Beasts of Burden that comes out.  Other than that it's been a couple of years since I stopped making the weekly trek to the LCS. 

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

I gave up on Marvel and DC superhero comics five years ago. With DC the writing for the characters I cared about had become increasingly bad, and with Marvel the "universe" itself had drifted so far from what I had once known and enjoyed that I couldn't even properly enjoy the few well-written Marvel titles simply because they were taking place in a version of the "Marvel Universe" that I hated.

Of course, there are various other publishers out there and numerous  original graphic novels and collections worth reading.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

The only Big Two comic I've been picking up is MULTIVERSITY and
that'll be wrapping up soon. Beyond that, I've been enjoying IDW's
STAR TREK/PLANET OF THE APES and Kurt Busiek's ASTRO CITY.
There's a few others here and there but I'm buying less stuff now than I
ever have.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

With the exception of Simonson's "Ragnarok" and anything by JB, I haven't picked up comics off the rack for years and years.

Since it's pretty much inevitable, I now wait for any comic I might be interested in to be collected and then I check them out from the library. Between old and new collections, I borrow about 8-12 a week. And frankly, since there is never a complete story in a single comic any more (and more often than not you have to have several collections to get the full story), it's the only way to do it.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2015 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

I notice this every time some says I'm "retired." I'm not. And I think it is a sad reflection on the intense navel-gazing of some fans that not working for Marvel or DC is equated with retirement.

It's also not limited to navel gazing fans. IIRC, Tom Brevoort also try to insinuate that you were "retired" several years ago on his blog when he snidely responded to something you had said on these forums. I believe that you pointed it out back then that just because you weren't working for the Big 2 that you weren't retired.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2015 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 12  

the itch of having a high adventure superhero tale

Exactly; I was mulling how much I missed a monthly comic with a fun, memorable story that wrapped up in the same book. Or a lead feature and cool back up! Creators today don't share that vision, it seems.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version