Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: 4 months without buying a new comic. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 1  

I've stopped and re-started 3 or 4 times.  College was definitely the first major interruption back in the 80s when I felt it was "time to put away things from my childhood."  I stepped away for probably four or so years (bought maybe six issues total including one late JB FF issue "just to check in").  After college I had a desire to "return to things from my childhood" and wound up filling in much of what I'd missed, though more selectively.  Each successive departure and return has been on a smaller and smaller scale until I pretty much gave up the hobby for good in the mid-90s.  I still buy an occasional back issue or new issue, but it's the same diminishing return curve.  JB's Star Trek New Visions is the only comic I've bought regularly in more than a decade and I can't imagine ever rejoining the DC or Marvel bandwagon.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 2  

I've never stopped since I first picked up FF #171 back in 1976. Around the time the big speculation started in the early 90s, I cut back a lot on what I bought, and have continued to do so since. With the latest news at Marvel and DC, I'll likely drop them completely. I'll be down to Dark Horse and IDW titles and any other books that catch my eye.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm noticing the disturbing trend of people leaving comics because they hate what Marvel and DC are doing. Those aren't the only two shows in town anymore (if they ever really were). I haven't collected DC in four years, and Marvel I quit about four years before that... still buying monthly comics every week or so. 

Giving up comics because DC ruined Superman or Marvel ruined the X-Men is like giving up watching movies because you don't like John Travolta anymore, or you hated the last Steven Spielberg movie. 

I did the same thing when I was 14 and Marvel told me Spider-Man was really some guy who died (and hadn't been mentioned since) before I was born. Then I came back when I was 21 and started reading things like PREACHER and TRANSMETROPOLITAN and EAGLE and realized that even though Marvel can do whatever they want with Spider-Man, I can still read comics I enjoy. Heck, most of what I enjoy these days is licensed material (GI JOE, TMNT, BUFFY) or creator-owned work (JB's IDW work, Simonson's RAGNAROK, David Petersen's MOUSE GUARD, and whatever Jeff Smith does). 

Plenty of comics in the world without psycho ninja Batman and his roving band of increasingly deconstructed Robins in them. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm noticing the disturbing trend of people leaving comics because they hate what Marvel and DC are doing. Those aren't the only two shows in town anymore (if they ever really were)...

•••

I notice this every time some says I'm "retired." I'm not. And I think it is a sad reflection on the intense navel-gazing of some fans that not working for Marvel or DC is equated with retirement.

When Jack Kirby went to work for Ruby-Spears I don't recall anyone saying he was "retired."

Back to Top profile | search

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel and DC may not be the only game in
town, but I buy comics first and foremost
for superheroes. It is hard to get
invested in other companies' super-heroes
when so many of them don't last. I want a
world that will last more than a year.

Plus, Marvel and DC superheroes tend to
have more restraint than independents. I
have seen more nudity in independents and
one I did follow (Invincible) went real
dark.

As far as other genres, I usually get them
through novels or TV/movies.   

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

Not collecting new books, anymore, habitually, but will occasionally pick up an issue or run. JB's Star Trek photonovels have been a blast. Simonson's art run on a few issues of THE INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK were fun. I bought some the recent IDW KISS comics, but that was largely because I'm a sucker for KISS stuff.

Mostly, though, any purchases are (way) back issues and/or Essentials-type compilations.

I used to buy 5-10 books a month, had subscriptions (first, from Marvel directly, then from distributors, then at the LCS). Not exactly sure when all that stopped. As I recall, it was a long process over several years. I just got less and less interested in the new stuff. Now, I'll got to the LCS maybe a couple times a year...or a convention once a year or every other year.  And that's about it.

I've sold off over half of my collection, but still have several boxes of comics (a long run of THE INCREDIBLE HULK and Hulk appearances, a couple of JB boxes, and random "keepers"...)

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 23 March 2015 at 12:19pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

Marvel and DC may not be the only game in town, but I buy comics first and foremost  for superheroes. It is hard to get 
invested in other companies' super-heroes 
when so many of them don't last. I want a 
world that will last more than a year.

Marvel & DC have always dominated my buying habits, but for a long time now i've lost interest in what they've produced. Lots of my favorite creators just don't produce enough consistent (MONTHLY) work for me to consider myself an active reader. I miss the good ol' days.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm noticing the disturbing trend of people leaving comics because they hate what Marvel and DC are doing....Plenty of comics in the world without psycho ninja Batman and his roving band of increasingly deconstructed Robins in them.
I left comics because the entire industry changed and I changed along with it.  Non-DC and non-Marvel comics are mostly what I've bought in the last 15 years, but it's more because people I like have migrated to them.  I don't like the majority of what I see out there from any publisher, but it's most quickly apparent when I pick up almost any Big Two title I read for 10 years or more and can't recognize the characters or tone or much of anything.  Even though comics are aimed at older audiences than they were when I first read them, I'm still no longer the target age and I'm okay with that.  It's just over for me, I think.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

I agree with Brad, there are so many great comics outside of the
Marvel/ DC superhero genre. Some recent favorites have been LOCKE
& KEY, SAGA, TRILLIUM, and THE WAKE. Going back a little further
there's been PLANETARY, SWEET TOOTH, BLACK HOLE,
ASTERIOS POLYP and the Chris Ware books.
So while the superhero genre may not be what you want it to be, there
are great things happening in the comics medium as a whole.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

I never truly ended my comics collecting, but I hadn't brought anything new from the Big Two on a regular basis. The manner of storytelling, some of the publicity stunts, and all of that new retconning of established characters drove me away. The last thing I tried as the first 5 issues of the new Ms. Marvel, which was essentially her origin story (remember when most of those only took up part of the 1st issue?).

It's been more indy stuff lately, mostly the IDW stuff by JB and Walt Simonson, a couple of others which might catch my eye... but very little else. And I sometimes go months without even visiting the store. The rest of my money usually goes into hunting down Bronze Age comics in the dollar bins at conventions.

Edited by Carmen Bernardo on 23 March 2015 at 3:30pm

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

I quit following and regularly buying new comics in mid to late 2007 with the Green Arrow.Black canary wedding. Countdown Arena bolstered my decision whenever I felt weak. 

I have bought some bits here and there since then, like the IDW Star Trek Annual via comixology and ONI Press' Wasteland bundle but I rarely buy anything any more unless it's old and I find it at a garage sale or a 2nd hand junk shop with a box of old comics in the back. I bought a Valiant Humble Bundle once too. Haven't really read any of those yet though.

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2015 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

I understand many people love the independents, but I like superheroes, and there is not much out that way in the independents or that I have found I like.

Edited by John Young on 23 March 2015 at 5:34pm

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version