Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Woman jailed for feticide (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2015 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

Getting rid of organized religion would be a start.

According to a recent Pew study, by the year 2050, nearly two-thirds of the worlds projected population of 9 billion will affiliate as either Christian or Muslim.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/religious-projections-201 0-2050/

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 April 2015 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

There's an entire major political party working night and day to make this more and more common.

Perhaps. But that dynamic doesn't have much bearing on this particular case. Instead, we're examining the case of a seemingly infantilized thirty-three year old woman, still frightened of her parents. Regardless of whatever pressure she felt was brought to bear upon her, as a grown woman in the United States, that pressure was ultimately self-inflicted.

She should have owned up to her choice and dealt with it before this became an option for her.

Unfortunately, based upon the information in the two linked articles, this woman does not strike me as a human being capable of exercising her own individual agency. Instead, this thirty-three year old woman seems to have, for whatever reason, substituted outside judgement for her own, and in effect, abdicated her own personhood; and perhaps, through inaction, allowed a living human being to die.

••

So, once again we have a MAN who, by virtue of his native biology, will NEVER have to face an experience such as was suffered by this young woman. But that MAN still feels he has the right to pronounce judgement on that young woman.

The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

There are those that feel there are no circumstances where one human life is more valuable than another's. I get that. If that is actually, truly how one feels, I don't find it hypocratic, no matter the sex. I respect it. This tends to be a rarity, though.  

I come from the other end of the spectrum. I feel there is some human life more valuable than others.  I have no problem stating that. I do feel that the life of a mother is more valuable than that of a fetus in just about every case. 

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2015 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

So, once again we have a MAN who, by virtue of his native biology, will NEVER have to face an experience such as was suffered by this young woman. But that MAN still feels he has the right to pronounce judgement on that young woman.

I do cast a dismissive judgement upon her willingness to abdicate her personal agency, as well as her willingness to substitute outside judgement for her own, but I fail to see how that judgement is informed by my gender; or how it could otherwise be informed were I of the opposite gender.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 April 2015 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

If men got pregnant, abortions would be available at ATMs.

Anyone who does not see a gender bias in men casting aspersions upon this poor woman needs a headechtomy from their assholes.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2015 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm often surprised at how many of the "Pro-Life" crowd will condemn these women and doctors as "baby killers" then, with the same aggressiveness, leap to the defense of the 2nd Amendment any time they feel their "Right To Bear Arms" is called into question.

Pity that the children murdered in schools and classrooms due to rampant gun laws aren't as high of a priority on the life-scale as a fertilized egg in the womb apparently is. 

Just sayin. 

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2015 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 7  

They're also the same folks who rewarded Bush and Cheney with second terms and book deals for waging war (and killing thousands) all for personal gain.

America is nation of imbeciles.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 April 2015 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 8  

America is nation of imbeciles.

••

Which, as is often forgotten, is why the Founding Fathers created a REPUBLIC, not a democracy, the idea being that the rich and (presumably) well educated would "take care" of the steaming masses. Same idea behind the electoral college.

Of course, being STATESMEN rather than merely politicians, the Founding Fathers could not conceive of an environment in which those rich and (presumably) well educated folk would pander to the lowest common denominator in order to assure re-election.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2015 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

Of course, it's possible to have a democratic republic, one which (among other things) puts enough resources into universal public education to ensure that the average citizen is not an "imbecile" and is politically informed, but that's not what we have. We have what some political scientists have accurately termed a "representative oligarchy."

LINK

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2015 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

This is all very nice, but I'm still attempting to understand exactly what experience this woman suffered that was not self-inflicted; she's a grown woman, thirty-three years of age, who according to her own testimony, is still frightened of her parents.  She could have chosen to abort the pregnancy, but she didn't.  Instead, like a child, this thirty-three year old woman chose to do nothing, as if the live birth of a child was not a logical and likely outcome of her pregnancy.
As far as I can tell, during the course of her trial, this grown woman never made the case that she chose her course of action under physical duress, nor did she enter evidence supporting the presence of cognitive disabilitiy nor severe emotional trauma to explain her child-like choices.  This grown woman seemingly chose to ignore her pregnancy as if she simply hoped it would just go away. 

In a vacuum, and unrelated to the events presented by the state of Indiana, this woman's refusal to exercise her own personal agency is indeed a pathetic tragedy worthy of our sympathy, but if, at the end of her child-like choices she did indeed give birth to a living child endowed with all the rights suggested, and which she subsequently allowed to die, her lamentable and subverted existence then gave rise to depraved and felonious behavior. 
If events transpired in the manner described by the state of Indiana, that's where sympathy ends.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2015 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

The state of Indiana simultaneously claims that she killed her unborn child and neglected her born child. The scientific evidence that the child drew a breath is unreliable. The evidence that she tried to abort her child was circumstantial (and was not the intent of feticide laws anyway). 

Edited by Michael Roberts on 07 April 2015 at 2:09pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 April 2015 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

This is all very nice, but I'm still attempting to understand exactly what experience this woman suffered that was not self-inflicted; she's a grown woman, thirty-three years of age, who according to her own testimony, is still frightened of her parents. She could have chosen to abort the pregnancy, but she didn't. Instead, like a child, this thirty-three year old woman chose to do nothing, as if the live birth of a child was not a logical and likely outcome of her pregnancy.

•••

I pity any daughters you may have.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version