Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: RIP - Herb Trimpe (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2015 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

Thanks Andrew! I obviously didn't see that interview.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 2  

Like many here, I grew up reading black and white UK reprints of his Hulk work. I still remember one of my first comic books being the reprint of what I believe is Incredible Hulk #122, where Banner is summoned to the Baxter Building and one of the all time great Hulk-FF clashes resulted. It and the classic Buscema Hulk Thing fight were my introductions to the Fantastic Four, and to say the least, they both made definite impressions on me. To the point where I was eager to read up on the group once I graudated to finding a store stocking the actual US issues.
I pretty much can't think of the old 'Hulk Smash' Hulk without thinking of Trimpe's take on the green behemoth. Ditto the Leader and all his fancy tech.
I'm glad he was able to move into teaching, but it's really reprehensible that the comics industry pretty much shut him out in the 90es to peddle more of their image style artist artists tripe. (Sigh!) To treat one of the greats like that, urgh!
I think it's a real credit to the man that he still managed to remain positive about his experiences. He seemed genuinely proud of the work he did on the Hulk, and well he should have been. As I think he made the character very sympathetic, with something of a humanity shining through his beastly visage of the Hulk. (And I now I suddenly feel like  digging out those old issues once again. They'll always be incredible to me.)

R.I.P Mr Trimpe. And thank you indeed for all the timeless classics..
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 3  

First Trimpe books I read -

I don;t remember what my immediate impression was when I read my first Trimpe issue of The Incredible Hulk, but after missing #179 & 180, I became a regular reader with issue #181.  And as much as I enjoyed Trimpe & Staton together, when I was introduces to the Trimpe & John Severin art reprinted in Marvel Super-Heroes I was impressed (Severin just seemed a perfect compliment for him).

When I read the Ant-Man story in Marvel Feature it was a little odd - I could sense that Ant-Man wasn't an "A-List" character, but I really enjoyed his appearances in Marvel Feature.  Trimpe seemed a good fit, but I gradually lost interest when they handed the art chores over to P. Craig Russell (who I would enjoy much more on Killraven).  Looking back, I can appreciate Russell's work on the title a lot more.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 4  

Incredible Hulk Vol 1 185
Ahh, the memories. This was my first introduction to the Hulk so Herb Trimpe gave him the look I would always refer back to in my head.
I didn't realize until recently that he also did the inking on those first 
couple of issues that I had bought.

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

I believe Trimpe never worked for DC, so in case anyone was wondering how his DC heroes would look, here's a commission I found online of his rendering of the JSA:

LINK

Robert Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

That JSA drawing is excellent.  When Herb left the Hulk in 1975 I was hoping he'd do a Hulk/ G.I. Joe team up.  It would have been a good comic.  When Marvel was animating Transformers and G.I. Joe, I always wondered why there were no team ups with the Marvel heroes just to cross promote the Spidey and Hulk cartoons of the 80's.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

I like it, but Starman looks like he's about to crash into something. 

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2015 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think the first Hulk comic I ever read was a Marvel Super Heroes reprint of the Hulk fighting the Glob, with Trimpe's art. 

Minor note: I never liked Jack Abel's inks over Trimpe's pencils. They made the art look very stiff. But with John Severin, Marie Severin, or Sam Grainger, the blend was great. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 April 2015 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 9  

I never liked Jack Abel's inks over Trimpe's pencils. They made the art look very stiff.

••

That's not the word you're looking for. The inker, unless s/he is doing some major redrawing (which Jack was not) cannot make the art look "stiff." That's all in the pencils, if it's there at all.

I agree, tho, that Jack was not a good fit for Herb. Jack had too fine a line.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 April 2015 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 10  

I like it, but Starman looks like he's about to crash into something.

••

Based on what? If we plot his trajectory, there's nothing directly in front of him.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2015 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 11  

My favorite Herbe Trimpe-drawn story…

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2015 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 12  

Based on what? If we plot his trajectory, there's nothing directly in front of him.

---

Based on the worried look on Starman's face. That's how it looks to me, anyway. 

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version